Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safety Issues in Tech and Conversions

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Default Re: Safety Issues in Tech and Conversions

That "Bush Mechanics" show was awesome! You guys are soft.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    The forums, and in particular the tech section, is sort of self moderating in regards to accurate information and safe work practices.

The discussion within the thread highlights any issues people have with how a modification is being executed and that's how we like to see the forums used.
    So self moderation is also called Rod threatening to ban anyone who disagrees and tells someone that they are full of horseshit

This forum used to pride itself on providing good quality technical knowledge. Thats why T&C is the first forum in the list, thats why the Rep system was developed, thats why T&C is the primary forum to be open to the public.

From what i can see that reputation of being a technical forum is going to shit faster than the MEAO. Congratulations.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

That's not a fair comment.

My post was done at 8:27am and Pretty Boy's post was 8:01pm. My post reflected my attitude. Don't start hanging peoples comments that came after my post on me. Nor assume other peoples comments and attitudes are, by default, mine - whether they are a board member, club member, forum member or whatever.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

No, but you are part of the board, therefore the onus for the boards decisions also rests on your shoulders. As the president of the club Rod also represents the board.

By not doing anything you are implictly agreeing with his point of view.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Hi,

I did not post in that thread because I am not a metalurgist and can't make an informed post on the safety or validity of the conversion. Some people have said that it is okay and others say it isn't.

No one really knows if the angle grinder would cause any heat stress issues on the component. Some said it does and others say it doesn't. There is even a difference of opion if the hub will get overly hot or not (due to the grinder).

Also some say it will not balance correrctly (being hand done by grinder) and another says the difference in weight balance is neglible.

Personally I wouldn't angle grind or even bench grind a hub, or any rotating mass on my car. To do so seems crude and akin to butchering, but that's because I'd do a shit job and stuff it up. But as I am not familiar with doing this sort of work I cannot comment on the safety (or lack of) aspects of doing such work.

People who read the thread can see the issues that have been raised and make a decision on whether they will do it the same way or not.

The Board likes to see an open forum where different opinions and arguments prevail in a mature and intelligent manner. If it was cut and dry that the conversion, or method of conversion, was unequivocally dangerous then it would be viewed differently. But, at the moment there is a mixture of opinions. I can't delete posts from the OP and those that support (or find no issues) with his conversion, as much as I can remove posts from those that say it is dangerous.

I cannot arbitrate on technical issues that I have no knowledge of, so I depend upon others to put their comments in the posts and let the readers make an informed decision based upon the arguments presented.

By not doing anything does not mean I agree with the OP, it merely means I agree with allowing the thread to run its course, along with the various comments posted by other people on the good, bad or indifferent with the conversion.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

Fair call by both Takai and River.

I think what we need to do is tone down the personal attacks and shitting on each other and keep it a little cleaner when criticising technique.

There will always be two schools of thought on DIY, the right way, and the 'right way *wink wink *. It's important that any member, be they fresh off the street, or an old hand of the forums have access to both methods. My reasoning behind this is nothing is worse than someone not finding acceptable methods of modification/repair, trying something unproven themselves and potentially making mistakes that could cause an accident further down the track.

In this case the DIY way and the right way are identical. USE A BLOODY LATHE.

There shoudl be no questions as to this, due to the safety aspects of having the studs crack out of the hubs.

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

I like improvising, but in this case I 100% agree with Takai. The problem in question will be best noticed at high speed....exactly when you dont want shit to go wrong.

Ive studied enough metallurgy to know that you dont hit or heat any steel parts that as critical as a hub.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

I know nothing Grease Monkey damian's Avatar

hey where did the post go (don't know who posted it?) about Sydney, etc being level 1, and Adelaide being level 4 and who hangs shit on whom?

I thought that was gold!!! lmfao

went to quote it and say gold, but it's gone?!?
    Street: RA23 with 18RG (off the road being rebuilt, rust cut out, etc, usual story)
    Track/Rally: TA23 with 18RG Cams Logbooked (my baby)

The amazing thing about common sense is it's not that common...

Hi,

It was deleted as it was off topic.

I'm sure the person who posted it to you may PM you the message.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia eeeyan's Avatar

Yeah I/we got a bit off topic i dont blame the mods for cleaning this up a little.

On topic however if the mods had to check every tech thread for safety concerns they would not got any sleep.

I think a few flames in a thread about a specific practice being dangerous and offering a safer alternative kind of achieves the desired result as far as safety goes. Anyone who thinks of doing an upgrade is sure to read through at least the first page of a thread and decide for themselves whats safe and whats not.
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....

I know nothing Grease Monkey damian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

It was deleted as it was off topic.

I'm sure the person who posted it to you may PM you the message.

seeyuzz
    river
    Thanks River for clarifying what happened.

Strange tho... Toymods seems to be all about off topic posts
    "saw ya last night at maccas"
    "let's go do skidz"
    "going to hanging rock?"
    etc etc

On-topic - lots of good comments in this thread and the other one. I tend to agree - leave it all so people can see what others think. Good ideas and bad ideas and reasons behind them are how we all learn!

my 2 cents
    Street: RA23 with 18RG (off the road being rebuilt, rust cut out, etc, usual story)
    Track/Rally: TA23 with 18RG Cams Logbooked (my baby)

The amazing thing about common sense is it's not that common...

om nom nom Backyard Mechanic CheeseBiscuits's Avatar

I think the personal insults towards people regarding there 'bodgey' mods isn't needed.

All that thread really needed was something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Ive studied enough metallurgy to know that you dont hit or heat any steel parts that as critical as a hub.
    Which is obviously where Rivers self moderating theory comes in. Means the reader can make up their OWN mind regarding the mod, and how to do it.

just my 2c. And as someone that doesn't know shit about shit, I find the collective knowledge and different opinions great.

Thanks,