Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1G-GTE or 13B into an RA23

Junior Member Grease Monkey shockadelica's Avatar

Question 1G-GTE or 13B into an RA23

i've searched old threads and found out of all toyota engines the 1g-gte would be the go for me and i really like the idea of putting a rotary in my celica.
    im not very mechanical minded, all i know is i want a faster car
    and i really like my ra23 so i want to keep that.

looking at the engines
    i read that the 1g-gte is about 185hp
    how much horsepower would a standard 13b have?

from what ive seen you can pick up a 1G-GTE for around $800 to $1500.. is this about right? how much would a 13b cost?

and to put into my celica which currently only has an 18rc
    does one of these conversions need more work, or do they both require about the same amount of work?

with everything else i would need to do, what would the price difference be?
    would it be alot more expensive in the end if i go a 13b?

is there any common problems, something that i may find trouble with if going the 13b route?

basically im just trying to compare costs,work and power.

thanks for any info

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Default Re: 1G-GTE or 13B into an RA23

"not very mechanical minded" and rotary don't go together.

The 1G-GTE swap is very well documented. Do a search of these forums, the old forums, and Google. They'll tell you all you need to know.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

the 13b would cost more to buy, probly more to put in, more to drive(very thirsty), and when it blows a seal, which they are renouned for, that'll be expensive too.

other than that, they make from 200 to 280hp(depends which turbo model you get) and i'm not sure about atmos
    beer me!

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

and a 1g makes 200 to 260 hp as well.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

go the rotary if you have a spare 10-15k in your bank account for maintenace and running cost.

it all depends on what your use for the car will be.

if it is a daily i wouldnt suggest either of those engines i would keep the 18rc or even change it to an RG

cost well it all depends on how much you can do yourself
    with the 1G u will need a ta23 x member which arent popping up anywhere. good luck finding one.

with the rotary i think u will need either a ta22-ta/ra233 x member but you will need to modify it with some sort of plate.

both engines will snuggle into the bay with ease but have you check with your local authorities about what is legal.
    I.E it not just going to be a simple take one engine out put another one in.

with both engines you will need to change brakes, fuel setup, gear box etc...etc...

try sss automotive for price on engines.

good luck
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

Does it have to be a turbo 13b? What about a ported carby version? 12a?
    1GGTE would probably be the easier option but i would prefer you to use a rotary so i can read about it....

Whats your budget? I'm guessing you're like all the other users who come on forums wanting to do an engine swap (like i did), not knowing how hard/expensive it'll be.

Just work your 18RC or replace it with a 18RG (they're the overall easiest options)
    Ace
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

i dont know bout the rest of you's but doesnt this seem like a bit of a pointless thread? uve searched here, and found out all the info u need on the 1g and such. wouldnt it be more logical to ask about rotaries on a rotary forum?

well either way, if uve got the moeny, the rotar option would be a whole lota fun, otherwise go the 1g. its a much more sensible engine in my opinion...
    but more importantly, how much of this are u gonna do or atleast stab at doing urself? if nun, then surely u can afford the rotary? its been done before, so my geuss is theres sum1 hanging round the rotary forums wif a celica. i know of 2 ta22's which rotars in nsw so theres gotta be more around....

my 2c
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Rotary RA23 celica's arent fast either..... my old AE71 flogged a 13B RA23 out at WSID.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by DQIKST

if it is a daily i wouldnt suggest either of those engines

whats wrong with a 1ggte engined car as a daily driver?
    they can be great on fuel...they are smooth and very reliable.

better than a standard 18rc/18rg in every way (except rego and originality)
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    better than a standard 18rc/18rg in every way (except rego and originality)
    I remember the days when the 1G-GTE was original...
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DQIKST
    go the rotary if you have a spare 10-15k in your bank account for maintenace and running cost.

it all depends on what your use for the car will be.

if it is a daily i wouldnt suggest either of those engines i would keep the 18rc or even change it to an RG

cost well it all depends on how much you can do yourself
    with the 1G u will need a ta23 x member which arent popping up anywhere. good luck finding one.

with the rotary i think u will need either a ta22-ta/ra233 x member but you will need to modify it with some sort of plate.

both engines will snuggle into the bay with ease but have you check with your local authorities about what is legal.
    I.E it not just going to be a simple take one engine out put another one in.

with both engines you will need to change brakes, fuel setup, gear box etc...etc...

try sss automotive for price on engines.

good luck
    when doing rotor conversion on almost anything, KEEP the original rotor crossmember, and bolt that in place

mate at tafe had a 13b bridgeport ta22, it flew, but i were to build one for an easy driver, got the 1ggte, cheap motor and easy parts ($750 complete with ecu less gbox from SSS)

and they are easy to drive, and fuel isnt that bad, round the 350- 400ks to a 45litre tank city driving (best sofar!)

but if you were to be building the weekend beast , show poney, id be going for a 20b!

blake

BTW, I don't think a 13B-T is legal in an RA2x in NSW. Might want to check that out first before going any further.
    Max

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

1.3ltr rotary = 2.6ltr rego papers, i think 2.4 is the limit? 12A would work.
    Thats for under 1T thought, and i think RA23's are like 1100kg~ check it out.

But i recon if ur not very mechanically minded, dont go near a rotary. Just do the 1g, its perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

i cant remember bout syd, but i remember qld was sumfin like 2.5L for a forced induction, and 3L for a n/a...
    also, ra28 weighed 970kgs wet weight odd? and ta22 920kgs wet weight odd? so id imagine ra23 sumwehre in between that?

i might have wet and dry weights mixed up, but those are the numbers i go by. remember reading them on old forum long ago...
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

Karl was it a turbo rotary or a ported one.

Ported rotaries are so much more fun than turbo one. but that is my opinion.

when mazda relesed the rotary.

they rated a 12a as a 1.2L
    13b as a 1.3L
    20B as a 2L

i know that rego papers say that a 13B is a 2.6L but that is because they turn the engine on its back and fill it up with mercury or sum shit and it ends up using 2.6L of what ever substance they used to measure.

so what a 20B equals 5L or sum shit

power to weight ratio is measured by the weight of the car times 3 so im assuming you are allowed to have a 3L.

all i know is and i agree with smokey that this thread is point less because there is so many pages on the 1G conversion that pretty much every question you need answered is here

but if you were serious with a rotary conversion and you wernt mecanically minded and you were serious you would have already driven your car to any work shop (pac performance, rotor master etc...etc) and said to them straight out here is my car i was a 12a, 13b how much is it going to cost me.

good luck

brett i wouldnt like to have a 1G as a daily because i wouldnt think it is practical with what i do(sitting in traffic and shit like that) plus if i was going to put one in a 23 i would make sure the paint and trim are just as good as the car which wouldnt be a good daily.

and im sure every body know that rotarys arent good dailys
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,