Thread: Corona liftback conversion?

Forum Member

Default Corona liftback conversion?

Ahoy there Toymods community!

I have in my current possesion a 1980 Corona RT182 - Or is it a 132? I can't remember - Liftback. It was my first car, and after owning V8's and the like, it sat there as a reliable steed to get to and from work. To date, it's still the only car that's managed to survive my ownage, even after the numerous off-road excursions resulting in air underneath tyres

Anyway.

It has a very, very tired 18R-c in the engine bay. My question is: What would be a better conversion? Source a 18R-g or take a pick out of the numerous 3S-GE Beams for sale?

I only chose these as I'm sick of all the 4A's that are getting around and would love to do something a bit different from the 'norm', especially in this car. But, decent suggestions as to another motor of choice will be taken under wing. Bare in mind, I would love to keep this a relatively cheap install too - I'm only an office worker that has an expensive weekend obsession with 2 wheeled vehicles on dirt!

I guess I would like to know if the Beams is worth the stuffing around or get a - relatively - straight forward swap with the 18R-g.

Whichever I end up choosing, look for a thread on the mighty 'Rona. I shall keep you all posted from day one to completion.

Don't question my choice of car either It's my first car, I love it and am yet, to this day, see another one driving around. Probably a good reason for that But I want something unique that makes people stop and think what the hell it is when I go screaming past them

P.S I apologise if this is in the wrong section. Hate me, flame me... I'm sorry!
    Last edited by The Beefinator; 01-12-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Had to add a 'lil something... Again

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Corona liftback conversion?

i say you should use the 2j in the paddock.... (not stalking or anything)
    oh, and i have seen another locally, but it was more rust than 'rona

Junior Member Grease Monkey

double post....

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

1GGTE fits in pretty easy. There is a couple of threads on here where this has been done.

Cheers,
    Brett.
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia eeeyan's Avatar

Both good options 18RG would be the cheaper option in the short term though especially for keeping it regoed.
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....