Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: changes to the club permit system in vic

Junior Member Grease Monkey viccelicara23's Avatar

Default Re: changes to the club permit system in vic

My rego cost the same at $114 and I live in Melbourne which is classed as high risk, I don't know where you are getting the $126 figure. I know normal rego is cheaper in 'low risk' areas but I think club rego would nearly always be classed as low risk due to the limited use andthe expectation of clubs to only allow people that represent the scheme well to continue to use club plates.
    My Cars http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50628
    Daily - 1994 JZA80 Supra
    Weekender - 1976 RA23 Celica
    Past - 1990 RN105 Hilux 4x4

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    awesome! so when will they introduce this into NSW?
    They're not. It was put to a vote at the CMC a couple of months ago and was voted no, by 100 to 4. That's pretty much a landslide to keep the current NSW scheme in place.

The reasoning was why pay $120 per annum to use your historic car for 90 days (in that year) and logging everything, when in NSW you can drive your car every weekend if you want, for $44 per annum?

I think I'll shoot some questions to the CMC to find out more about this.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

I don't think it really matters what state we live in as long as we can drive our cars. After working out how the Victorian car club system works, it's fine but after reading about NSW system and telling us that you have to notified the club every time you take the car out, l feel sorry for the poor bugger that you have to tell.
    The best thing about the Victorian system is l can drive the car seven days a week if l like, just fill the log book in...

River, can you tell us about us taking your cars intestate on club plates? what are NSW laws?

Roscos

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Actually, you only need to notify the club if you are taking the vehicle on a non-club event. You can take it for a weekly cruise for servicing and that's when you inform the club. Other than that all you need is a copy of the calender/magazine/club minutes/whatever in the vehicle for any club event - which inculdes cruises, meetings, CMC event, and any other club that has invited you to an event. We make it easier at Toymods and have an on-line form that you fill out and hit the send button when you wish to take your car out. No logbooks required.

For example, if we were going to Hanging Rock (from NSW) we would print out the invite and put it in the glovebox (or wherever) and just go. If we are pulled up by anyone we show the invite and we're done. No logbook, no other requirements.

Toymods, being an affiliated club of the CMC means we can go to any CMC event/meeting/cruise, which includes any other affiliated CMC club. Each weekend there's some club doing something, which means we can go also. Mind you, I'm not sure of you'd be very popular turning up in your Toyota to a Jag or Austin7 event.

NSW historic vehicles operate under NSW historic movement procedures for up to 3months if in another state. I guess that after that time you need to abide by that state's relevant laws.

Unless you had an event on each day of the week, it would be hard to get to drive your classic plate car in NSW for the entire 7 days. But, then again, I wouldn't be wanting to take mine through our shit Sydney traffic. Weekends are bad enough at times.

But you are correct... any chance to drive your classic is a good thing.

Here is the CMC rules regarding historic vehicles... if you scroll down to "Vehicle Use" you can see the usage criteria. I do like number-3, where you can go for a weekly service run. For me that's a bonus. It means I can drive it each weekend, which is enough for me... given the number of nobtossers out on the roads.

HCRS Model Rules

seeyuzz
    river

PS: In that document, go down to "General" and see point-6 which mentions using your plated vehicle for an extended time in another state. You got 3 months and after that must apply to the RTA for an extension.
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Forum Member

Hi all, long time member and seldom poster here!

I am currently building an S12 race car that i was planning on trailering to events, but as I live 5 minutes from Sandown it would be nice to actually be able to drive it to the odd event and to the tuners etc for engine work.

From what I understand about the 'new' Club Rego plates, it wold be possible to join the Toyota Car club and actually be able to drive the thing out of my drive way?!

If so - wonders never cease.

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Not as simple as that ruckboy.

Have a good read of the club permit page at www.tccav.org.au

Modified cars are a very grey area with club permits, track cars are even more grey, so we will be conservative in our estimates of what is ok and what requires an engineering certificate and a RWC. If you get engineering and a RWC we certainly won't have any issues saying its OK.
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Forum Member

A RWC - for a track car....

I don't think it is going to pass a roadworthy with zero interior and an aluminium dash. the thing is mainly to be used for hillclimb and gymkhana fun

Reading the page you linked above it seems the car would meet the required criteria, i.e. well built, safe and rare
    Last edited by ruckboy; 01-03-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: additions

If its not road worthy why should it be on the road? Mr plod wont care what rego its on when he defects you for zero interior.
    Now - RA23-WRX

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

I'm sure the convenience of being able to drive it to and from the track/garage would be great, but my impression is that is not what club rego is about.

I'm not saying that there wont be race cars registered through the permit scheme, but it's intended for cars that would generally pass for normal registration but are so rarely driven that full rego costs are prohibitive. Thus keeping classics on the road.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Forum Member

Why should it be on the road?
    Because it is safer than the average Hot Rod I see.

It has a body, seats, indicators, headlights, harness, fire extinguisher, etc and an engine with no oil leaks.

There seem to be a lot of 'impressions' and 'grey areas' around club rego, the fact that the build is based upon a car first raced by Mark Skaife in the old Touring Car series should make it ripe for this kind of club use no?

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

There has to be a line drawn somewhere, otherwise i'd buy a v8 supercar and drive it to work for 90days each year.

Sounds like yours is a cool car, but on the wrong side of that line. Maybe a Nissan club would blur the line a bit for you?
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Club Rego isn't about putting race cars on the road, inspired by Mark Skaife or other wise.

Hot Rods generally run on their own SR rego scheme so comparisons to them are not really valid. Sure your car might be safer in your eyes, but if they have gone through their regs appropriately, then they are deemed OK by Vicroads.

The grey areas mean each club has to decide what they are comfortable with signing off, and so we have decided what we are comfortable giving the OK to. Outside of that, if you come to us with a RWC and Engineering Certificate then we will also be OK with signing it off. That is TCCAV's policy and no argument is going to change it.

As Timbo said, you might find another club that is open to your proposal, in which case join them. Our club is just one of a few hundred clubs out there that can sign off on club rego, so if you want to do that, talk to one that is OK with it. No one here is putting a gun to your head and saying sign up with TCCAV.

My experience is that we are one of the most easy going clubs going. Vicroads and the AOMC are talking heavily about making a RWC mandatory on all club rego cars, so you better be quick with your plans regardless.
    Now - RA23-WRX

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

my blue shitter falls in to that category , although its only been on the public road once
    in the last year , i find having club rego on it so conveniant , for the simple fact that if we have to unload our cars
    on what is deemed as a public thoroughfare , (an example being like at a dyno day , sandown or hanging rock )
    it is legal to do it , maybe coz i am now old , for the cost of a coffee per week , i can do without the hassles
    my plan with it now is to put the trim back in to make it even more compliant ,
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Hi Ian,

Lucky your car's not Brown otherwise you would have to be calling it your Brown shitter & it might get confusing then ..

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

ha ha
    hi rob
    at least people have seen mine
    where is this phantom ra 28 ? that you have
    nostalgia is not what it used to be: