Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: changes to the club permit system in vic

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

Default Re: changes to the club permit system in vic

yes RT i was referring to it being one "outing" or one "day" and in this case its day. so if you get home from a cruise at 00:15 you use up 2 days whereas a slightly more lenient arrangement would have let this slip under one outing
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

one of the suggestions put forward was from 3 am to 3am next day
    that was to cater for the historic rally guys who's events dont finish untill late
    if you get picked up say 12 15 you would have had time to fill in the time /date before the cop reaches the car
    particularly if the rest was filled in prior ,if you get my drift
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

http://www.aomc.asn.au/CPS%20Regulat...2019.10.10.txt

That is the official regulations. I can't find any mention of the 30 year age limit being introduced, the definitions still define a CH car as 25 years old from the date of application.
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Corona loving Grease Monkey TTMX83's Avatar

A few questions about this:
    1: What is the process for going back to normal rego from club rego?
    2: If after a car is on club rego and it is decided that I want to do an engine conversion, do I have to get it engineered, as per normal rego? Or would I just require another club inspection?
    3: How far can a car be modified before it will no longer pass a club rego inspection?

It is a great scheme, I'm just trying to sort out if it will suit my needs in the future,

Cheers Brad.
    2010 KDJ150 Prado

Brad, as far as I am aware the answers are:

1. Car would be treated like it was unregistered, so you would need to go and get a RWC, and then pay the usual fees required to fully re-register the car.
    2. Each car club will have its own answer to this. TCCAV would require you to discuss your plans first and pending on how crazy you are going, require a subsequent club inspection.
    3. This is a how long is a piece of string question. The car needs to be "fit for purpose" and safe on the roads. Better to discuss your plans with the club first before getting into the conversion. Our club was considering a TA22 with a Toyota V8 in it, and upgrades all around the car to suit, so that is probably the benchmark.
    Now - RA23-WRX

Mödërätör Automotive Encyclopaedia

It doesn't make sense to me that VicRoads are happy with point 3 varying from club to club. I can see the poor car owner getting pulled up one day and being told his car is unsafely modified despite being told by the car club tester that it's passable. Without a concrete set of rules stating what is allowable and what's not, there will just be arguments and the car owner will no doubt be the loser.

What kind of certificate, qualifications, expertise and more importantly liability insurance do the club testers have? It needs to be the same as an automotive engineer because that is the role they are essentially taking on.
    Simon.

1991 Toyota Cressida (JZX83).
    1967 Morris Mini Deluxe (1330cc A+).

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

As I understand it, laws for modified cars on Club Permits will be the subject of a seperate law change yet to come. The AOMC and VicRoads delibaretely seperated the discussions for log books and modified cars so the log books could be delivered first.

I'd like to do an engine conversion on my Club Permit registered Moke, but I'm holding off to see how the new laws may affect me.

Just remember, Club Permit plates is not immunity. You can still get a defect with a Club Permit vehicle, just like any other car out there.
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

As Brett points out, modified cars running under club permit will require further scruitiny at some point. I don't have any idea when that will be though.

In the end the owner of the V8 TA22 mentioned elected to go the Street Rod rego route, as that has a clearly defined set of parameters to work to, and wasn't open to interpretation and opinion like the current situation. I imagine some time in the future club rego will work the same way.

Slim your comments regarding qualifications, insurance, etc are the reason why the majority of clubs require a vicroads approved testing centre provide a road worthy certificate - as mentioned many times by RT104GT. Most clubs don't want the challenge of it. The cars are subjected to the same set of rules as every car on full rego and the onus of road worthiness is put on to some one else.

Our club has elected not to do that as yet and are fortunate to have two inspectors who are prepared to do it for us. Their assessment that the car meets vicroads requirements doesn't mean the car is engineered properly though and it would be nice if the owner of the car actually put the onus on themselves to make sure its done right.
    Now - RA23-WRX

Corona loving Grease Monkey TTMX83's Avatar

Thank you for the replies guys.

What I am not trying to do is go the route of trying to avoid engineering a car by putting it on club rego, quite the opposite.

What I can't understand is that you have to obtain an engineers certificate when your car is on normal rego but if the same car were to be wearing club plates then it's is just up to the clubs testers discretion as to whether the car is 'safe'. Surely a club can't survive by essentially taking responsibility for a car they tested - which is modified to have more power - in the event of that car being involved in an accident, or worse, a fatality. I thought this was the reason the engineering process was bought in.

I can see a hoard of car owners from all different clubs rubbing their hands together so they can get their car under the club reg system, causing havoc and ruining it for everyone.

For example:
    I intend on joining the relevant club to get the RT81 on club rego. But by the end of the year I will be itching to do an engine conversion on it, nothing too serious, say for this scenario, a 20V 4AGE with an upgraded gearbox, diff and brakes to suit. Now the car would already be on club rego but I would want to share the conversion on the forum and show up to meets etc. So there is no hiding it would exist and that would be dishonest to the club and in my eyes, still 'illegal', I guess I'd want to know the clubs stance on that before I went through with putting the car on club rego in the first place.

Cheers Brad.
    2010 KDJ150 Prado

Brad - I think better to have a discussion face to face with the club than try and nut it out on an online forum.

However I don't think we would have any problems endorsing a car with a 4age conversion and other appropriate upgrades, as a club plated car. As the rules stand today any way.

Don't forget that we are talking about a car that will be operating under the club permit scheme, by a car club member, used for the enjoyment of an enthusiast, primarily at club type events. In my mind and no doubt Vicroads too, these are not the type of car nor driver that are the problem children on the roads today and I suspect are not usually part of the statistics of deaths on our roads. People like Shannons Insurance must have a similar view also, as you get very cheap insurance for a limited use, club driven car.

Vicroads has put the onus on the clubs to police the scheme to a large degree. We are expected to tell them as soon as a member becomes unfinancial, as that voids the club rego, and we are also able to ask them to cancel the plates for a member if we believe they are doing the wrong thing under the scheme.

Someone caught doing "the wrong thing" with their log book or what ever, not only puts their own club rego in jeopardy, but Vicroads can pull the club rego of every single car that has been endorsed by that particular club if they think that club is doing the wrong thing. So I can guarantee you we won't be seeing an explosion of dodginess, as we simply don't want to risk our club plate status.

If any of that makes you uncomfortable though and you don't like the greyness of it, get the car engineered regardless of its rego status. There is nothing stopping that, and indeed would put you in good stead for the future if and when the modification rules do change for club plated cars.
    Now - RA23-WRX

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

the guidelines are
    the car is allocated club permit status in the condition it is presented
    any further modification requires reinspection
    it is the discretion of the inspector to judge the safety standards of the modifications 'also tcca has high standards in these inspections
    regatds
    Van

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

I just got my club plates and because l live in Ballarat the rego is cheaper, classified as "low risk", cost $114.40 for 90 days.
    Good valve l recond.

Roscos

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roscos View Post
    I just got my club plates and because l live in Ballarat the rego is cheaper, classified as "low risk", cost $114.40 for 90 days.
    Good valve l recond.

Roscos
    Thats the normal price for Club Rego mate.
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

Why is it $126 in Melbourne and it is $114 in Ballarat?? Why the difference??

Roscos

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I think its proportionally a bit cheaper because as you said its classified as "low risk" ( country ) because a portion of the rego would still be for TAC insurance etc & i'm totally guessing that maybe they think country people are less likely to crash ? & less crashes occur with pedestrians, so less claims also ? ( i might be right off target ?)

i'm sure your normal rego is cheaper too ..
    Last edited by lexsmaz; 31-03-2011 at 09:13 AM.