Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smokey Motor - Compression reads perfect

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

Default Smokey Motor - Compression reads perfect

Hey guys...quick one...

The motor in my suzuki has developed a smoking problem...under load it blows a bit of blue/white smoke and it is burning oil

I have done a compression test and its come up perfect 185 in all cylinders (built high comp motor)

the person I bought it off said that it had an old VRS kit put through it when it was built and the valve stem seals were not up to scratch...my experience with worn VSS's has usually shown a bit of smoke on decel and startup...do they get to the point where they chuff through the oil when they are bad?

Havent done a leakdown (dont have a compressor)
    Tried thicker oil and that made it better but the car a fair bit slower
    comp test was done dry
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Smokey Motor - Compression reads perfect

Hopefully I'm close to the right answer, but you can still have a decent compression test which would mean that the compression rings are still in good nick, but the oil rings could still be shot.

My MR2 when I first bought it used to blow smoke on cold start, but that has all disappeared now. My car hadn't been driven in about 1.5 years.
    ZZT-231 Toyota Celica SX

Hmmm...that doesn't sound good...

Is there any way to check where the oil is coming from?
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Junior Member Grease Monkey

its not your rocker cover breather? or do you run a catch can? but with good compression i wouldn't have thought there would be enough blow buy to make it blow smoke

I don't run a catch can but I'm thinking that maybe I should set one up on it
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

I would think your Valve stem seals are the problem. if it were rings they would blow smoke most of the time, so since comp is good.
    Try checking head gasket. Oil in radiator, will go white.

It does blow smoke all of the time though...that's why I'm concerned
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Administrator Backyard Mechanic

Had this prob with a couple of 20v engines lately... Good compression, but chewed through oil like no tomorrow.

Leak down tests can also be a little inconclusive as the last one I had a problem with was 5-10% leakage, yet the valves were wet and it'd use 1L of oil per 500kms. Didn't matter if i babied it or booted the crap outta it.

Your best bet is to get it inspected with a borescope, takes a competent mechanic about 15-30 minutes to complete the inspection.

sounds like I need to get a borescope onto it then...is that some sort of camera for the bores?
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Junior Member Grease Monkey RPM016T's Avatar

why dont you door knock your neighbours and see if any of them have a compressor?
    gt28714AGEKE15OM17SGoodi.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Valve stem seals normally leak under change of vaccum, so when you go from wide open throttle to shut, you'll get a puff of smoke. Sounds like the bores are glazed or an oil ring is had it. I've seen the ajax powder trick unglaze bores in the past, might be worth a shot if the borescope reveals no score marks from a damaged ring.

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

wet test.

edit: 185 is not that much for a high-comp motor. i usually see 200+ dry
    and id say if the bores were glazed it would have been burning oil since day 1.
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

Quote Originally Posted by RPM016T View Post
    why dont you door knock your neighbours and see if any of them have a compressor?
    because most of my neighbours are coons without cars let alone a shed full of tools...there is this one bloke though

thanks beerhead...that sort of answers my question...I wanted to know if valve stem seals would result in smoke on WOT

is there any way to check for a damaged oil ring without pulling the motor apart? or is that what the borescope is for?
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

WOT+revs you get a lot of oil in the head, i used to find when i flogged/revved my old bus hard it would puff a bit of oil smoke. i put it down to the revs revs pulling a lot of oil in the head then the blow by helping to push it threw the breather and back to the intake. would take a good 3rd gear pull to do it as it would need a few seconds at +6k.

if its this then obviously a catch tank will stop it. i never bothered, i couldnt be bothered and i didnt really care.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    Hey guys...quick one...

The motor in my suzuki has developed a smoking problem...under load it blows a bit of blue/white smoke and it is burning oil

I have done a compression test and its come up perfect 185 in all cylinders (built high comp motor)

the person I bought it off said that it had an old VRS kit put through it when it was built and the valve stem seals were not up to scratch...my experience with worn VSS's has usually shown a bit of smoke on decel and startup...do they get to the point where they chuff through the oil when they are bad?

Havent done a leakdown (dont have a compressor)
    Tried thicker oil and that made it better but the car a fair bit slower
    comp test was done dry
    how many klms and what motor are we talkin?