Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: MA70 --> JZA70 Conversion

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Default Re: MA70 --> JZA70 Conversion

Urantia, your my new best friend.

you guessed it, most of the wires on that rectangle yellow plug match up to the black plug i have sitting in front of me.

and by most, i mean exactly, but mine has an extra two.
    i have a large square connector with 3 HEAVY guage wires coming out of them, and another 19 smaller wires coming out of it.

then another white rectangular connector with 11 wires coming out of it...

and and a really small 3 pin plug.

CRAP!

Eldar.O.

just had another look...

the plugs, although smaller, all seem to be in the right order, on the right side of the connector.

the only problem is... the diagram they match up with... is the JZA70 side :/

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

so you must have like an 87 jap import GT like me?? there the only supra's i've seen with these rare connectors that arn't really documented on the web anywhere. Most of it is all the same except a few really throw a spanner in the works and are color coded differently.

If you send me photo's of the plugs your not sure about i should be able to list what all the wires are. (one of the plugs is all for the auto wiring which you won't need.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

ok, im having a bit of trouble, the car is a 1990 MA70 GT Limited, imported in 99 i think.

it was previously 7MGTE, that engine blew up, i bought it, and i bought another 7MGTE + auto tranny, and i put that in, everything plugged up engine wise, as the engine i got had a chopped loom, so i pulled the loom off the old motor and hooked that up to the new one, and everything worked as per factory.

ill grab a pic of these plugs, most puzzling is the 3 wire one, i have no idea what it does, but ill have a look in my car and see what it plugs up to.

looks like im pulling my dash out though, to install the new dash cluster, and as im using the halfcuts brakes, ill lose ABS.

since its going manual, im losing cruise control, since im using the JZA70 brake, il lose ABS, im taking out the digital dash, and my car is progressive power steering anyway, so removing the dash and swapping over all the wiring from the front cut is looking like a good idea right now.

Wiso, you've obviously done it, but how much work is taking out the dash, possible to do it in an hour or two!? ive had this car in peices already, and im seriously considering ripping out the whole interior and removing the sound deadening, as im fitting JZA70R recaros for the weight factor, so i might as well go the whole hog while im at it.

Eldar.O.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Where are these extra plugs??? On the JZA70 or on the MA70 end.

There will be a plug on the JZA70 loom that is for the Hydrulic fan, that could be the little 3 pin plug.

As for the dash, To do all of the ECU related stuff we only required to remove the glove box.

As we did the Auto 7M-GTE - Manual 1JZ-GTE and digi dash swap, that required all of the cluster side to be remover to get to the pedal boxes and to swap the required bits for the dash to slip in.
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

these extra plugs were on the 7MGTE engine loom, just a bit further up than the ECU plugs, that i chopped off after i pulled the motor.

basically, they're the plugs i need to put onto the JZ engine loom before it goes in, so i can (hopefully) just plug everything back up...

ive taken the glovebox apart, as have the centre console etc. thats what i mean by taking it apart already.

having already struggled to put a manual pedal in a KE70, i can only imagine it gets worse for the supra, but ill manage, and i have a japanese friend with very small hands that i can utilise to do all that hard work ehehehe.

i just need to know whether i can just chop the JZ plugs off, and match up the wires to my plugs, as they look identical, minus a few pins here and there...

which, knowing toyota, plus my luck, makes them COMPLETELY different...

bad news again, im working late today, so i wont be able to pick up my JZ as i had planned... means i got to wait another day

im just stunned as to how similar they are to the JZ loom plugs, ill get some pics up soon.

Eldar.O.

Triptek Enhanced Backyard Mechanic triptek's Avatar

Most of the wire colors are the same, i wired up a soarer engine into a ma70 gt limited only a few weeks ago. also thought i mention on the white rectangular plug is a ground wire for the digital dash. you need this if ya want it too work.
    1990 SW20 MR2 turbo Gen III 3S-GTE conversion, 3" exhaust = 264.9rwhp
    1985 JZA61 2JZ-GTE + TO4Z = 442.1rwhp @ 18psi
    1991 JZA70 Limited 2JZ-GTE vvti GTX30/76r
    1994 GZX90 Mark II 1GZ-FE V12
    1980 MA45 Undergoing Restoration

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

That plug with the 3 wires could be the nautral start switch if i recall its a 3 wire plug with Blue,White and Black wires.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Triptek Enhanced Backyard Mechanic triptek's Avatar

The 3 wire plug that your talking about, we never hooked any of those wire's up and the engine runs fine. Havnt hooked up abs yet so that might be somin to do with that.
    1990 SW20 MR2 turbo Gen III 3S-GTE conversion, 3" exhaust = 264.9rwhp
    1985 JZA61 2JZ-GTE + TO4Z = 442.1rwhp @ 18psi
    1991 JZA70 Limited 2JZ-GTE vvti GTX30/76r
    1994 GZX90 Mark II 1GZ-FE V12
    1980 MA45 Undergoing Restoration

mine has Abs, etc. since its a GT limited.

the plug has white with blue stripe, black with yellow stripe, and red with black.

i think its ABS, might go to ABS computer, i may be able to keep ABS if i dont swap in the JZA70 rotors.

Wildsupras friend Matty, had the "1JZGTE" supra, which is a carbon copy of mine, and he wired that up, so he's going to help me if i can organise enough motorvation for him ($$$).

so if i hook up the wire colours, regardless of the pin positions, i should be right....?

Eldar.O.

Well, picked up the 1J, plenty of juicy goodies on it.

took out the dash and console, and have taken the wiring out.

im wondering whether the whole loom will plug into the fuse box on the drivers side kick panel, and i can just snake the new loom in behind the dash, get it where it needs to be, and plug everything in, leaving the old one in there, just no connected to anything, just so i dont have to take the dash out...

sure its dodge, but it may just work! the loom wont be "held" down, but that doesnt matter, its just wiring.

i just want my damn car on the road!

i also decided im ditching all the GT Limited options (minus the killer factory stereo) so im fitting a new sports steering wheel, that gets rid of cruise, the digi dash is getting switched out in favour of the analouge now in my room, and i doubt ill be able to keep abs, so that'll need to go too!

unless i can route it into the new loom somehow... i dont have a problem playing with it to see if i can get it working, the ABS computer should just need a couple of inputs that i can pinch out of the new loom!

Eldar.O.

looks like im just gonna have to hook up the same coloured wires and plug and pray.

wish me luck!

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    i think its ABS, might go to ABS computer, i may be able to keep ABS if i dont swap in the JZA70 rotors.
    whats the point of swapping the jza70 rotors??? ma70 and jza70 have the same rotors. also you could keep abs as the sensor rings are ont he hubs not the rotors, so long as you don't swap the hubs. even still the jza70 disk will fit on your hub.

also the dash can come out in an hour or so if you have done it before, the first time it took me a few hours to get it out though as i had no idea what to do.

also when i wired mine i swapped the looms from behind the dash. all i did was change the 7 plugs on my body loom to the ones that plugged into the jza70 fuse boxes, and all the colours matched up no issue, there are the odd wire or 2 that may not be needed though
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Quote Originally Posted by wiso
    whats the point of swapping the jza70 rotors??? ma70 and jza70 have the same rotors. also you could keep abs as the sensor rings are ont he hubs not the rotors, so long as you don't swap the hubs. even still the jza70 disk will fit on your hub.

also the dash can come out in an hour or so if you have done it before, the first time it took me a few hours to get it out though as i had no idea what to do.

also when i wired mine i swapped the looms from behind the dash. all i did was change the 7 plugs on my body loom to the ones that plugged into the jza70 fuse boxes, and all the colours matched up no issue, there are the odd wire or 2 that may not be needed though
    JZA70 are like 10-15% bigger than mine, they're fekking huge, definatley different.

i also have braided brake lines, a swaybar twice as thick as the stock one, adjustable links for it, coilovers etc. etc. to go in...

dash i had out of the half cut in around 45 mins, first time, i just kept wiggling it to see where it was still bolted down, tracked it down that way.

i think ill do that, and just rewire the fuse box plugs

then i just have the other two plugs to sort out, but at least the dash will be all good!

Eldar.O.

Conversion Master Grease Monkey Whiplash's Avatar

yer me and trip did mine with teh soarer loom. but soarer loom totally different then the jza70 loom. just follow the books and you should be right. continuity tests will reveal the right wires and a bit of know how will get it running. im not gonna use abs and ripping it out of teh car. but wouldnt mind knowing whats involved to get it working along with cruize control