Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MA70 --> JZA70 Conversion

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default Re: MA70 --> JZA70 Conversion

right well that is quite odd then! did matt change the thermostat before the engine whent in or used the one that came with the halfcut? i am using the old one, i have a new one to go in, but i don't think that is the cuase. Perhaps both our radiators are partially blocked enuf to make it overheat? and it it's blocked in a certain area would explain why the fan isn't pulling hot air out of it. Hard to know.

Unless the 7m guage is more sensitive to slight changes in temp? *scrathes head again*

Just before on my lunch break the car was idling under 400rpm on the verge of stalling, turned it off and then back on and it was right again, must be from the wiring i did last night i thought i hooked up the Headlight relay could of been something else.

so a few electrical gremlins to work out for the both of us by the sounds of it.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Matt's engine got a new Thermostat and has a referb radiator in it, so the problem might be gunk in the engine it self or air in the system that we didn't get out.

When I get down there next We'll flush the system out with a good cooling system flush and try getting the air out of the system. He wanted to get it to Dyno day but his concerns about heating means it doesn't do too much travelling far from home.
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

dam! so it still overheates (according to the guage) with a new thermostat and radiator! that doesn't leave a hole lot left to narrow down.

I can only think it's air in the system, as when i first buaght the supra with the 7m the digidash temp guage would shoot up the top, then back to normal on a regular basis, after i bled the cooling system it was fixed.

Now my heaters never really worked, and sine i done a flush and added coolant for the 1jz i couldn't get the heater to run so i''m banking on air bieng in the system still, hopefully thats all it is. Would of thought it would purge itself out.

My other reason for the overheating (possibly) was due to not having any sort of air intake, the 1jz is sucking in hot engine bay heat (right above the turbo's, probably exceedig the intercoolers ability to cool it down enuf). That's a long shot, and if anything is just making me lose power.

Hmm i'll try a few more things tonight and post the results up if it solves the overheting prob.

In you case it could simply be in the tune as well. Once you have sorted the wiring to the point where you can drive it, a service and tune or dyno tune might help if the timing is out.

if only there were a dyno in tassie lol

Well at least make sure that it runs stock as possible an tune it to factory timing etc and see what happens.

i'm sure the ECU is retarting the timing heaps and adding more(probably less) fuel to combat a hot intake or risk detonation no doubt. I'll reset the ECU when i get a proper intake hooked up. Bastard forgot to include it with the halfcut.

How do you check/do timing with these engines? as there is no high voltage spark leads to run a timing light off.

Well the overheating guage is really getting out of hand, after some boosting it starts crawling up, and everytime i pull over and check the engine, it seems fine, although the hydro fan seems to pull cold air out of the radiator, but if it were overheating i'd expect the radiator cap to be letting pressure out which it is not.

Put my hand near the exuast and fuck is it hot~! hotter then any other engine i've felt at the exuast, leave it there for 3-5 seconds and it will burn the shit out of you (the actual exuast fumes at the exuast tip!

When i first got the motor running and took it for a drive it was potent and fast!! spinning the wheels up in 3rd gear when already doing 80-100km and downshifting from 4th, now it seems about as fast as the 7m, so i'm gonna have to find a dyno and see what the F is going on.

Lambolica let me know if matt finds out anything with the overheating guage. I met rob162 today and he was pretty baffled to the overheating issue aswell.

I'm trying to get some time to look at his car but my Sprinter is taking all of my spare time ATM. Matts isn't anywhere near as bad as yours sounds however.

Are you losing coolant at all??

Not loosing any coolant, i drained the coolant yesterday so i could change the thermostat, but bugger me the two 12mm nuts are in the worst place, no tool i had could get access to them, so i had to leave the old thermostat in. I don't think it's the thermo stat anyway.

I'm seriously thinking fuel pump, and running lean as that's what it feels like, and the chances of my old motor and new 1jz sounding as crap as eachother can only suggest they both were getting shitful fuel delivery. Cousins mr2 has the same problem, his 4age was rattly, rouph sounding, very harsh to rev, wacked in the low k beams motor and it had the same issue. Changed the fuel filter and the beams became smooth and revvy again.

I changed my fuel filter already, so it's gotta be the FP. Just makes me wonder why the ECU hasn't bothered to let me know it's leaning out too much!

(All i can do is follow my instincts and change the fuel pump and see how it goes) will post results.

Cheers lambolica.

Well in your case it is pretty much all you can do is trial and error if you don't have access to a dyno. but the pump upgrade is probably worth it. a Walbro 255l pump should be less that $200....

Well finally solved it with the new fuel pump, doesn't overheat, and motor is much smoother and i've gained my power back, so i was pretty spot on with my suspision with the fuel pump.

Only 2 things for me to finish off, wiring in this common relay for the fan computer and PPS computer. Stuck on this becuase the relay takes 4 wires, 1 from PPS ECU, 1 from FAN ECU and 2 others i don't know. And how it works i'm not sure, does it switch to ground, what triggers it etc.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Fuel Pump. Really... *Raises Eyebrow (If I could actually do that)*

Question. With the PPS, what effect are you suppose to feel? My Power steering works quite well (steer with 1 finger if required). If mine is not working, which I don't think it is because the little computer about the size of a matchbox in the passenger side kick panel doesn't seem to be there anymore, then what do I need it for?

Cheers, Matt

Simon's right. I'm a lazy shit. My plans are to have a look at some of these problems tomorrow so I'll let you know how I go. Probably more to the point, Simon will most likely let you know as I don't get onto Toymods as much anymore.

yeah strangely enough the fuel pump cleared everything up in one hit! I can see why the 1jz is such an awesome motor. And also makes me wonder how good the previous torquey 7m-gte would of been if i had changed the fuel pump back then.

Anyway with the PPS. ( i have it working now) I noticed a fair bit of difference compared to my old 7m steering rack, pretty much just feels more in contact with the road at higher speeds which is good.

It feels like the PPS disengages at about 60-70km/h,
    The way i have it wired in is a little dodgy ATM, i wired it to earth, and the other to a positive wire i wasn't using, whatever that positive wire is, the PPS sometimes isn't getting power, and is dam heavy.

If you don't have the PPS computer plugged in. then you must have the PPS solonoid on the steering rack wired to be on all the time? Defualts to no assist when my PPS computer is disconnected.

How did you go with the AC stuff? i haven't even touched any of that yet. I do have an issue with it running rouph sometimes when i start it up, running on 4 cylinders or so for about 30 seconds, happens maybe once or twice a week. Probably the coil packs, as they probably have some cracks in them that close up when they get hot. (maybe)

Yes let me know how you go!
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

well damn, what can i say, it looks like i am up for alot of fun can i cry now?

hahaha, i am about to swap my 7mge for a 1jzgte

ok from what i have read, motor swap, etc no prob, easy, but with the wiring, my plan was to litterally swap everything from my halfcut, the last swap i did this with a 3sgte from a st165 to an st162, i swaped everything (i mean everything) over including the front loom around to the lights etc, and the loom behind the dash, then from where the relay boxes int he kick panels that went into the rear body, door loom, i rewired these points, now would this work the same with the ma70 to jza70 right? i have an ma70 auto, and am putting in a jza70 auto

ok the other thing, fuel pumps will a 7mge fuel pump be enough for a 1jz, or do i need to upgrade this, urantia, was you pump actually shagged or did it not pump enough fuel pressure?
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers