Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MA70 --> JZA70 Conversion

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default Re: MA70 --> JZA70 Conversion

He where ya been man! everyone's left me to myself here!

Yep power steering hole enlarged alongwith the shifter hole and an extra hole to screw the PS resivour in. Actually i'm all done with the mechanical side i'm now stuck on the wiring.

I fubared my main engine loom plug so i am going to be connecting those wires directly without a plug. (gotta find some good connectors today for this)

I'm stuff with a plug that is supposed to be in the engine bay that goes into the EA2 connector for the EFI relays but i don't seem to have it. I will need to get a pic up to show.

BTW what did you break?

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

I broke a 1G... 2 actually..... well 3 if you count the one that I think I broke last night.

What do you mean by the plug isn't there??? do you mean the MA70 plug isn't there or the JZA70 loom plug isn't there?
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Wow 3 1G's broken! thats a good effort!! (sorry that is terrible!)

Yeah the 7m plug i'm talking about should be in the engine bay, it has to do with the EFI relays according to the digram linked above. (the one that shows how to wire the alt into the EA2 connector, or more specifically that C1 connector is non existent). But i suspect it's becuase i have a pre 89 ma70 and the diagram is for post 89. I will double check as i am probably wrong.

(i'll take photo tonight)

I'll hit my brother up about that one as he did the wiring and I recall a similar issue.

I have a feeling that the C1 wires go into one of the other plugs. but let me ask the question first.

P.S I can't take all the Glory for the 1G's I just "finished them off" they were close to dead any ways.

Ok i got a pic, first if you have a look at this pdf and see the C1 connector
    http://www.1jz-gte.us/documents/SubDocs4/EA21989.pdf

Well the closest i can find to this plug is the orange one in this picture. It's a four pin connector.
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/isthisc1.jpg

Does this look familiar? probably too hard to remember these details.

Also with the alt wiring i've connected the 3 wires for the alternator, but then there is the heavy duty field wire left over, i'm not sure if i'm suppose to use this. I guess i will find out. (what did you do for the alternator wiring as it sounds like you whent to some trouble wiring that up.)

Yeah sorry it is a little hard to remember. but the orange plug shown there should have the wires colours described in the pdf diagram.

If I recall correcly the JZA70 EA2 plug nees to be cut from the front cut and should be spliced together using the C1 connector and D connector wires as listed in the table between them in the pdf

I'll be down at my brothers place on the weekend and I'll have a look see at how it was done as I wasn't involved too much with the wiring (except to confirm before any soldering was done.)

Yeah i whent ahead and wired it in as the wire colors matched (like you mentioned)

But boy oh boy i thought i had it well under control, until i got to wiring the plugs under the dash! my plugs are different! and to top it off have different colored wires to the ones in the diagrams both pre 89 and post 89.

The main IH2 connector i have susses out, but there are only 2 other plugs that the ma70 has to wire into and they are not in those diagrams! SHIITE!! I dunno if it's beucase my supra is a 87 jap import GT limited with digi dash ( different plugs and wire colors??) or whats going on. I better study it more becuase so far i'm complety unsure what the hell it going on.

Just noticed that you also did a conversion on a gt limited supra, what year was this supra?

I think i just need to stop rushing and take some more time and study things i will sort it out. But if i truly am stuck i'll have to offer some $$ to get you/your brother to take a photo of how you wired the plugs up under the dash. Anyway i'll probably hear from you after the weekend if you get a chance to see your brothers supra and what was done in regard to the wiring. *fingers crossed*

Sorry to be a nuisance.

No problems, I'm happy to help where I can.

Matts Car is an Import 1989 MA70 GT limited.

With the wiring into the car (under the dash) we took this approach.

The car is basically made up of the body loom and the engine loom,

The engine loom collects wires from sensors and switches and sends them to the ECU

The body computer is Generally a separate loom. the only point at which the the 2 looms meet and connect to each other is at the engine fuse box and the area you are talking about. At the fuse box is where the power comes from for the ECU,injectors and any other power requirement for the engine loom come in.

The other end under the dash is the information end. Now the JZA engine loom and JZA ECU obviously take up several of those plugs. what plugs are left connect into the body loom to feed information to the dash, and also to control switches back to the engine loom (A/C controls, ignition etc.)

What we did here was cut off the MA70 Engine loom plugs that origonally pluged straight in and matched up wires to feed the info to the correct places. I will try to pull these wires on the weekend so You might get helped by the colours of the wires we matched. but for you to think about, you have these signals that will run through those plugs that you will need as a minimum to get the car started and driving.

Oil Pressure
    Tach signal
    Boost pressure signal (thou runs off the chart on the digi dash )
    Charge light
    Engine light
    ignition signal
    speed signal (Not 100% about this but is possibly there)
    A/C on/off switch
    Fuel pump

That list is from memory but those wires from the engine loom to the body loom are made up of these signals + any others I may have forgotten.

So using this logic we found the JZA plug info and found a MA70 wiring diagram and mated the cut MA70 loom plugs to the JZA loom (from memory there are still plugs not connected. I know Matt is looking into these at the moment as they relate to the TEMS, ABS and A/C which we didn't get around to fully the first time. ( we wanted the car running before we started trouble shooting more wiring just in case we had issues.)

Sorry if this post sound a little like telling a child what to do, but this is the Logic behind how we did it and we had to think like this as we really didn't know what we were doing completely.

I hope this helps you to step back and take a breath before you go insane....

Thanx for that lambolica!

but you mention an important part of the puzzle:
    "we found the JZA plug info and found a MA70 wiring diagram and mated the cut MA70 loom plugs to the JZA loom"

I can't find a diagram that shows the wiring for my plugs.
    Here are some pics to show you what they look like.

Ma70 plugs under the dash:

Jza70 plugs from engine harness not showing the ones to that go the JZ ECU:

That main plug B1 on ma70/IH1 on jza 70 i have sorted as that follows those diagrams from the 1jz-gte site.

But the other two ma70 plugs that are left look like this and arn't covered in anything i can find, not even the wire colors seem to match up to anything!

oh and where would i find the PPS computer? must still be in the halfcut looks like that has the b3 plug in need.

I can't halp with the PPS plug off the top of my head.

I'll be down at my brothers place Tomorrow and I'll get some photos of the wiring similar to your last post. with any luck I can get a clear shot of the wires that were spliced as a guide. I will do my best to try and get it on here nice and early so you can use it on the weekend but I can guarentee that I will.

If I recall correctly the 2 square plugs you show in the Photos are very similar in the wires that run through them.

HHeLiBeBCNOFNeNaMgAlSiPS Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by urantia
    oh and where would i find the PPS computer? must still be in the halfcut looks like that has the b3 plug in need.
    Passenger side kick panel - it's about the size of a pack of smokes. Needs a speed input from dash I think as well as the ECU plug.

Xistant

urania >> why didn't you swap the JZA70 loom, dash, etc etc over as well to SAVE the hassle...............

Because the MA70 is a higher spec. If he (or we) did that we would lose the Digital dash, ABS, Cruise Control.

In Matt and my case we didn't want to go backwards.