Thread: 3SGTE Spark Plugs into 3SGE

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3SGTE Spark Plugs into 3SGE

Hi Everyone,
    Do 3SGTE spark plugs fit into a 3SGE?

Same Gen.

Note: Sorry if I sort of double posted, as I don't think my old post was able to attract much attention of the folk on the forum, so I'm just going to do individual threads on my requirements. I do not intend to spam

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Default Re: 3SGTE Spark Plugs into 3SGE

The NGK parts are:

BKR6EP-8 - 3SGTE
    BCPR5EP-11 - 3SGE

and they have different gaps. But they would probably physically fit.....

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

they will fit but why would you, they have a different gap and a different heat range.

For better performance perhaps???

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

smaller gaps doesn't get blown out during boost - other might comment on heat range.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

hmm will the 3sgte plugs have larger gaps or smaller though?

I found some 3sgte NGK iridium plugs on ebay for around $50 thats why I'm curious

Couldn't see any 3SGE ones

Junior Member Grease Monkey

The 3S-GTE plugs are designed for a turbocharged application (derr :-P) so they can handle the higher heat range experienced in those motors. Putting them into an NA 3S-GE will do nothing but run them too cold, which will actually decrease your performance. Take it from someone who learned the hard way, when it comes to performance, spark plugs do next to nothing. You are starting in the wrong place. Have you done any other work to the car yet? You would be much better off starting with a full service, including an Engine Oil Flush (you'd be surprised what a difference it makes) and a throttle body clean. When it come time to modify, start with a cold intake pipe (don't waste your time or money with a pod, or even a K&N Panel filter, they do nothing, and the pods are actually counter-productive) then get a full exhuast, extractors and all, and you will really see a difference. This is what I (eventually) did, and it will be the best value for money thing you can do. Don't waste your time on little things like spark plugs and all, you will be bitterly disappointed, your money will be much better spent elsewhere. Take it from someone who's already wasted his own money to find out for himself...

as said GTE's have their extra performance due to the turbo nothing to do with the plugs. they're colder and have smaller gaps than NA applications.

for NA you want/need bigger gap and hotter for best spark/fuel ign.

there's a reaon that toyota specify the heat range and plug gap for their engine's as does avery other manufacturer.

people running turbo's with more boost and other advanced ign components can obviuosly change plugs and gaps to suit but for stock motor's and operating conditions fit the recommened plug.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Feel free to get some platinum/iridium plugs if you plan on keeping the car for a while, then you won't be forking out for new ones a few times a year, so it will be cheaper in the end. But as with K&N filters and all that, the only benefit you will really get is not having to spend money on replacing them all the time. That's the only reason I use them, I plan on keeping mine until it gets written off by some moron tailgater, which looks likely to happen sooner than I expected. Or until I blow it up
    Though being a Toyota, that's a lot less likely. Which is precisely why I bought one
    Also, don't ever underestimate the power of a full service with an engine oil flush and throttle body clean, you can practically double the power, especially if it hasn't been looked after previously.

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Youngy View Post
    The NGK parts are:

BKR6EP-8 - 3SGTE
    BCPR5EP-11 - 3SGE

and they have different gaps. But they would probably physically fit.....
    ^The differences between these plugs:

gap is wrong 0.8 to 1.1mm.
    heat range is one stage colder on the 3sgte plugs.
    "CP" vs "K" = the porcelin is longer on the "CP" range plugs compared to the "K" plugs and since your sparkplug leads have the tubes and top cover the leads may not push down enough so they cannot click into the top cover. (fitting the BKR6s into a gen1 3sge)(bit hard to explain over the internets..)

They are both platinums and the thread is the same though so they will screw in but dont do it..? your not going to achieve anything.

fit some new platinums BCPR5EP-11 or some copper BCPR5E-11 or BCPR5ES-11.
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

So the verdict here I assume; Plugs = Absymial if not, No performance increase whatsoever.

I also found out the plug gap sizes: 3SGTE = 0.44 and 3SGE = 0.32

Quote Originally Posted by samet View Post
    So the verdict here I assume; Plugs = Absymial if not, No performance increase whatsoever.

I also found out the plug gap sizes: 3SGTE = 0.44 and 3SGE = 0.32
    3sgte plugs in 3sge= less performance

the gap sizes you've quoted are in inches. as people said above the gap's are GTE: 0.8mm and GE :1.1mm

but if you give the correct part number the plugs will already be correctly gapped.

Quote Originally Posted by samet View Post
    ...I assume; Plugs = Absymial if not, No performance increase whatsoever.
    I'm not sure what you're getting, but if it's that no spark brand or material increases performance, only increasing the gap if its been set too small & the ignition system is capable of firing it will increase performance, then you got something. The first post sounded sorta like a thread size & length question but worse. The heat ranges are only to keep the insulator free of current diverting carbon. The materials are only for long life, and that keeps the gap consistent, not for better electrical conductivity. Copper is only a small part of plugs for advertising purposes and does not benefit in any way shape or form, especially performance.
    http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Hmmm, the plugs I was specifically referring to were the NGK Iridium IX ones actually. I think I got platniums in it at the moment