Thread: Urgent - a70 supra steering lock

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Jaemus's Avatar

Default Urgent - a70 supra steering lock

Heya,

I'm right now buying a ga70 for my new project. The owner has lost the key, what's the easiest way to defeat the steering lock short of hacksawing through it? Any immediate help would be appreciated
    1992 MR2 GT turbo
    2009 Lexus IS-F

Built Australia's first V6 MR2 >> Winner: "I'd Drive It" award - Toyfest '07

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Urgent - a70 supra steering lock

Either remove the drivers side door lock, and take it to a competent lock smith, to have a key made.

OR, dismantle steering column shroud and what ever else, to gain access to the area of the steering column that the lock mech attatches to. use a punch on the two security screws to undo them..

The security screws have the head broken off them upon instalation, so they cant be easily removed. leaving a flat top instead of a slotted head... used a small punch (driven by a hammer) to drive the screw undone...

Some people have trouble doing this... on some cars you can cut a slot into the screw top with a hacksaw... and undo the screws with a flat blade screw driver.

all in all, I prefer the locksmith option, whole lot less mucking around... good luck either way.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Jaemus's Avatar

Thanks very much mate,

Unfortunately i ran out of time, the ipad i was using while i was working the car was playing funny buggers and it didnt seem to have posted my thread, so i didnt get your reply in time.

As im in QLD picking up the car having driven up from NSW i didnt have the luxury of the locksmith option, and while i was aware of the security screws and ways to deal with them, i couldnt really figure it out in on this car... looks completely different to the other two i've had to do, SW20 and S13 silvia. So running out of time i hacksawed through the locking pushrod part of it, and bashed it off with a hammer.

I guess i can get a new barrel from a wrecker, and using the driver's door lock as you suggested get both a new key made and the new barrel rekeyed to suit if that's possible.

Or just a whole new set of locks now

Anyway thanks very much for your quick response!
    1992 MR2 GT turbo
    2009 Lexus IS-F

Built Australia's first V6 MR2 >> Winner: "I'd Drive It" award - Toyfest '07

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

you might be able to salvage the key lock section out of your current set up, into a new housing. so dont throw it away ..