Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use the rep system these days?

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

Default Does anyone use the rep system these days?

Hi there,

just starting this topic because Im curious to know if the oldschool/regular members on this site use the rep system anymore?

I post a fair bit (prob nothing worth repping though) and that's probably my problem here but im just throwing it out there.

Its end of october now and this year i have had rep given to me once in feb. lol. and the time before then was 6/09..

Throw me some rep points dammit! good or bad, dont care! Im just sick of being on the same no: j/ks

but in all seriousness, has the excitement of using the rep system worn off for the regulars? do we need the rep system for the older users? Do we only use the rep system now to neg rep the new users to this site (i.e ppl under 50points and "toyboyracer" )

please feel free to discuss for delete this thread.

thanks,
    Andrew
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: Does anyone use the rep system these days?

Not really much these days.

Very rarely
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

For a long time the rep system was abused (especially in Dedicated threads etc, I received some that way I know), the crackdown lately seems to have stopped that (also by limiting the regions in which you can give out rep), but I think we're just getting to the stage of there not being much rep-able stuff getting posted and so the whole system just gets ignored. Sure, the odd thing might pop up from time to time, but it is getting rarer.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i give rep from time to time when i come across posts that present really good information, or someone has gone out of their way to help others...
    eg, rep just given in the spraypainting thread, and to the new guy(?) that posted wire gauge and current info in the injector wire size thread..

i'm not going to rep someone for suggesting to use a toothbrush to clean rims, or similar kinds of posts... although there are probably some people that do expect rep for ... uninspiring posts..

does it matter? no, but is it nice to get rep when you make a really useful post? yes
    Think of it as a way of showing appreciation when someones goen to the effort of teaching you something, or giving you info you would not have come across otherwise.

neg rep is a way of telling someone they have stepped out of line, and what they posted doesn't fit within the toymods boundaries..
    i haven't neg repped for ages but then i see that a -160 slap would be pretty harsh for noobs, so i tend to use PM or posts to suggest adjustments in behaviour instead

tbh, i don't think there ever was excitement abotu rep.. except for the circle-jrking dedicated thread issues, and every now and again someone bitching and whining bcause they can't get an avatar/post in clasifieds etc

edit: but i think in general you will find that the people with higher rep tedn to go out of their way to help people, more than normal.. bu that dpesn't mean that all people who do that get "recognised" for their efforts.. but in the end who gives a shit abotu the number really? I care much more abotu the friends i have made by through helping randoms, than any number. If someone adds to my rep, i do check and see who it was and what it was for
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Aust162 View Post
    ! good or bad, dont care! Im just sick of being on the same no: j/ks
    want me to find out what my neg rep power really is?
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    want me to find out what my neg rep power really is?
    Ummm nah.. you've become too powerful now oldcorollas.

i haven't neg repped for ages but then i see that a -160 slap would be pretty harsh for noobs, so i tend to use PM or posts to suggest adjustments in behaviour instead

but in the end who gives a shit abotu the number really? I care much more abotu the friends i have made by through helping randoms, than any number. If someone adds to my rep, i do check and see who it was and what it was for
    Like you say, it gets to a point where we don't care about the number.
    what if they changed the system for the older users and worked off the fact: how many years they has been a member (my case since 2005) and once you achieve "x amount" of posts, say in the tech section...
    That way you can be put into a "senior group" and maybe we can restrict/control the rep points we dish out. in your case corollas' you wont have to worry about beating down -160 onto people.

just spinning some ideas
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia eeeyan's Avatar

Senior group consists of River already... thats all though.

He's got all the repping power needed for everyone
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

And being an admin I am not limited to waiting to rep again. Sort of like a wasp, eh? I can sting as often as I want (or be nice as often as I want).

I give out rep on the same conditions as OC, and I rarely give -rep.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Aust162 View Post
    Like you say, it gets to a point where we don't care about the number.
    no no, it was never about the number.
    Some people like to check the size of their e-wang, and get upset if no-one strokes it

most people don't give a shit about rep, and just help each other in the "proper" spirit of Toymods! and they just happen to be repped by other people...

most people that complain about rep, particularly in relation to not being able to sell things or whatever, generally signed up just to do that

and avatars are just a ghey modern convenience. I often have them turned off, but they do allow you to skip over certain peoples posts quickly

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

I've been stuck on my rep points for I dunno how long. I don't give a toss. Then again I never add anything at all to the tech sections so I don't deserve any.
    I'm just here for a good time.

Cheers, Greg.
    Last edited by Farkurnell; 26-10-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: I hate typos

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

As with the others I still give rep where it is deserved even if the info is of little use to me personally. More likely to infract someone then neg rep because most of the bad posts are in areas where the rep system can no longer be used.

Personally I may not get any rep for months & then make one post that gets repped by multiple users for no apparent reason. I didn't ask for it nor is it isn't necessarily a tech post, I just expressed an opinion which others obviously agreed with and felt the need to ++rep me for it.
    If in doubt power out

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

The infraction system has pretty much made -ve rep redundant, but +ve rep definitely still gets thrown around where there is good information shared and people anwser others questions.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

negative rep is still good imo, where someone has said something fairly uncool and you want to warn them to chill out. Infractions are super harsh (2 will get you banned) so I only use them very sparingly, as most financial members do I'm guessing.

+rep is supposed to be used where someone helps someone else out. Thus the best advice I can give you is to be nice to people and help people out when you can and give rep to people if you see them being helpful to others, whether it was to you or not.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

I lol at your current binary rep you have there Vito...
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

I think it translates to "fail".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.