Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Engine Conversion. 2JZ-GE into MS53 Crown

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Default Re: Engine Conversion. 2JZ-GE into MS53 Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist
    It doesn't have the Torque, but I'm sure your 2JZ made more than a 1UZ from last dyno day...and in a striaght line the numbers say in a similar car that the 2JZ is a little quicker, hows it bad(or am I biased...).
    In a straight line the numbers say that a 2JZGE MA61 is Line ball (but quicker ) than a 1UZFE MA70

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist
    It doesn't have the Torque, but I'm sure your 2JZ made more than a 1UZ from last dyno day...and in a striaght line the numbers say in a similar car that the 2JZ is a little quicker, hows it bad(or am I biased...).
    If I'm ever up there on a Wednesday in my Crown, I'll be keen to take it on @ WSID!

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    If I'm ever up there on a Wednesday in my Crown, I'll be keen to take it on @ WSID!
    ToyoFest 2006 at the latest.
    Take on the mighty Uzzio!
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Alchemist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    ToyoFest 2006 at the latest.
    Take on the mighty Uzzio!
    Problem is your Uzzio isn't going to be normal....

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

A modern motor with actual "get-up-and-go" transforms these cars from a clunker to something that's a hoot to drive.
    It sure does. I've spent a fair bit of time driving this old girl around and while it was cool with the old setup, it's a completely different car now. Mind you I think the wheels tyres and suspension have a lot to do with it but the fact that it get's up and goes now, certainly is a bonus.

She's an awesome cruiser now, and should do a nice job towing around fragile toys when needed.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

GT,

That would be awesome, maybe if Stitt gets his wagon on the road for Dubbo we could take all 3 out the wednesay after Easter ? I'll put my leave form in now if your up for it ??!!!

I got the brakes finished on Wednesday ( she now sports a nissan Master cylinder and booster from an SR20 powered Wagon of some sort. The change is insane and I couldn't have asked for a better combination. (I also now have somewhere to hide a washer bottle )

Thursday night saw Mos wire in the speed sensor and O2 sensors so its almost ready for the engineer and a trip to WSID If I can get into the 16s area I will be stoked ! It wasn't built to be quick, thats what the Celica is for.

The whole purpose of the swap was to acheive a good reliable daily driver and tow car. The auto is so smooth its even nice in traffic and as for towing.. I'm told it handles the rental car trailer and a certain diff busting Supra behind it now worries at all.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

My car will be running at dubbo
    I think many all nighters will be done seeing as the body is still 75cm from the ground and the engine has to be rebuilt but I am keen as

As for Rods car. As a tow car, I can't praise it enough. It pulled the supra up Mt Victoria without issue only just started to get hot near the top. It cooled again once the road flatened out and the load was removed.It also pulled up very well down hills. Lock in 2nd and just hover over the brakes. No brake fade whatso eva , having said that I didn't need to use em all that much

Without the trailer it gets up and moves however a manual would make that aspect much better, but alas its a TOW car and it does that very very well,

I'll post pics once image shack is back online
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

As promised sorry bout the dogey phone pic. I'll know to hold it more still on night shots next time

ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

GT,

Sorry I missed your Question re the airbox, It came out of the JZZ30 Soarer the engine did

Sean,

I am off to get the first spray painting quote tomorrow morning (make that later today) and have just finished emailing Toyota to see if I can get any new rubbers for the old girl.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    GT,

Sorry I missed your Question re the airbox, It came out of the JZZ30 Soarer the engine did

Sean,

I am off to get the first spray painting quote tomorrow morning (make that later today) and have just finished emailing Toyota to see if I can get any new rubbers for the old girl.
    Awesome Rod. It'll look brilliant.

I've just come into posession of a good cond MS123 (with boat anchor 5M), and the 2j idea is growing on me by the day......

On the rubbers-have you tried the Rising Sun Collectors Register? Or perhaps some of the places in Japland that have MS-5x gear?
    Last edited by MS-75; 06-02-2006 at 09:35 PM. Reason: because I rock

Sean,

I am actually a member of the Rising Sun Collectors Register and Allan Taylor is looking at what is available. He thinks he can get door rubbers that will work. Not the right ones of course but ones that work ok.

I have checked NZ and Japan as well as here of course and so far my only glimer of hope is ex the USA. Hope to here back soon from a friend of Kirsty's who is hunting for me over there. Even the Crown Classics in Japan doesn't have genuine rubbers.

The new colour will be a tad on the boring side but I like it. The Kandy Pearl I picked is just to many $$$ buy and to spray to justfy for a daily driver. With that in mind its being sprayed Subaru Atlantic Blue and is booked in for Feb 18th.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Woops. Looks like I forgo5t the final results of the conversion. Here is the Dyno Graph from Dyno Day 12.

Last edited by TheToyman75; 25-11-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

AFR's lookings goood.

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Rod, couple of questions, having read both this thread and your member's ride thread:

What style of bushings have you used in the front end - rubber or polyurethane, and any comments either way on them?

What are your current spring and shock selections up front, and what model power steering box have you used? I assume MS65, if so, is this a bolt in and up fitment? How does it drive and steer - any "old world qualms"?

Any pics of your engine mounts and dipstick jobbies?

What radiator hoses did you end up using?

Can you give us a detailed listing of the current braking system and your thoughts on it's performance?

More questions to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Costello
    Rod, couple of questions, having read both this thread and your member's ride thread:

Talk about stretchING the memory mate

What style of bushings have you used in the front end - rubber or polyurethane, and any comments either way on them?

I used polyurethane bushes all round mate. I am actually quite happy with the ride quality compared to the tragic boatyness it had before it was replaced. The springs and shocks were al ldone at the same time. They are nothing over the top just king springs and Koni Yellow shocks. Front sway bar is a white line item and the rear adjustable panhard rod was fromthem as well.

What are your current spring and shock selections up front, and what model power steering box have you used? I assume MS65, if so, is this a bolt in and up fitment? How does it drive and steer - any "old world qualms"?

The power steering upgrade is quite nice, if anything its a tad sensetive becasue I am using the pump off the 2J which runs at a higher pressure than the old MS65 steering box was designed to handle. A restictor in your power steering lines will probably sort this if it bugs you. Since I have a 10" sport wheel on the old girl for increased belly clearance and I tow allot I like it as it is. Fully loaded and at very low speed the power steering is still great and its not too light at high speed. The power steering box install is also pretty simple. You need to use the MS5x series Pitman and idler arms and the MS5x series drag link. The MS65 power steering box will bolt straight upto the chassis and the MS5x series pitman arm goes straight onto the bottom of the box. The steering column needs some love tho. The very bottom part of the MS65 shaft needs to be fitted inside the bottom of the MS5x shaft. This requires the shaft to be stripped and you may get creative with the reassembly it actually wasdn't as bad a job as i was expecting.

Any pics of your engine mounts and dipstick jobbies?

Engine mount pics I will have, I have the whole conversion up in the gallery that crashed so I wil get them all back online

What radiator hoses did you end up using?

Crap, can't remember. I'll let you know when it comes to me.

Can you give us a detailed listing of the current braking system and your thoughts on it's performance?

The braking system is awesome compared to stock BUT it still needs some work. The rears are stock MS112 rear disc brakes and callipers with the stock handbrake cable. one of the handbrake cable mounts should be moved (I haven't done it yet)

The front brakes are MS65 hubs on either MS123 stub axels or MS65 series 2 stub axles. I had so many different options happening but I am 95% sure we ended up with the MS123 ones to help clear the rims/tyres but still use the bigger ball joints from the MS65. From memory the MS65 ball joint location sat about 5-10mm closer to the tyre which was to close with 16" rims. 17" should clear it no worries.

The front callipers are HZ 1 tonner Girlock items (the PBR ones fit better but use smaller pads - the Girlock callipers required some gentle clearancing) and the rotors are also holden items - DBA part number DBA 4014USR and DAB4014USL for undrilled. Shep from Classic Crown has the right up on his sight with pics and everything on how to put em together. The booster and master Cylinder is a random unit off a 4WD SR20 powered nissan wagon. Thats all I know The brake lines were all redone with braided lines and it just needs a slight bias adjustment to be perfect. Unladen the rears lock up to late for my liking.

More questions to follow!
    Any time mate.

Rod.
    Last edited by TheToyman75; 22-10-2007 at 09:15 AM.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT