Thread: Couple of recent JZ conversions, VK 2J and S14 1J VVt.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Default Couple of recent JZ conversions, VK 2J and S14 1J VVt.

Lovingly cut and pasted for your viewing.

I sold this car to a mate about 3 years ago, he did nothing to it and then sold it to some random who then sold it to my mate Mark who has a 500rwhp 2JZ chaser. He promptly delivered it to me and said to take all his money and swap it for a completed 2JZ VK. So we did.

Got another 2JZ and a JZX100 auto that was fitted with a kitted 2JZ valve body and fitted that up. Added twin VF46 legacy turbos, remade the exhaust from the bellhousing back with twin 2.5" stainless piping into twin cats then onto a single 3" VL turbo exhaust.
    100mm fmic with stainless pipes, custom V8 radiator with twin L series fans. Factory ecu, a sextet of autometer guages, Hurst promatic shifter, 330mm front brakes etc.

Default Re: Couple of recent JZ conversions, VK 2J and S14 1J VVt.

No doubt this has been done before, just showing how I went about it.

Series one S14 with 200k km SR20, owner got sick of the brown note so we railroaded him into a 1JZ VVt from a JZX100 that we had in stock and wanted to get rid of. It's a manual engine originally but had no box so we got a JZA70 box for it. Pulled the SR and threw it in the alloy bin, dropped the 1JZ in to have a look. Needed some sump reshaping and a little tunnel manipulation to fit the nugget gearbox. That done it slipped in and was chocked and leveled ready to make mounts for.

I chose to retain the alloy engine brackets and fitted them with Patrol engine mounts which were then adapted to the crossmember with some fabricated brackets.

Gearbox mount was also fabricated from flat plate and angle. Don't have a direct pic of it but it can be seen in one of the exhaust shots.

The exhaust is 3" mild steel from turbo dump back. I routed the exhaust under the rear of the sump to swap side as there is no provision for exhaust or cat on the RH floorpan.
    Single 100 cpi cat and stainless dual outlet muffler.

The wiring is the usual strip and splice job. The S14 engine harness has the abs and wiper wiring integrated so it can't just be unplugged and forgotten.

The original ricey front mount piping was chopped up and welded back together to make up the IC piping. Also chopped the turbo outlet cast pipe and shortened/reshaped it while at the same time deleting the odd ecu controlled bypass valve arrangement. Engine cooling is a china radiator with subaru cooling fans controlled by a TFS106 fan switch on one circuit and switched by the A/C compressor on the other circuit.

Runs nicely and goes as expected.

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

A few questions related to the very first picture in the thread. Is it OK to use water pump and alternator belt without tensioner? What length is it and how did you fit it on place? The setup looks quite unusual, did the power steering pump not fit or there's another reason for not using it?
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

It doesn't have power steering because there is lots of pipes where the PS rack wants to be(RHD remember).
    The tensioner is just a std slotted steel bracket off some other engine, alternator has the appropriate amount of material removed from the top mounting tab to allow for the bracket.
    If you have still have PS then keep the tensioner setup, it works well.

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

No it was only idea of having an "emergency" belt for the case of stuck p/s pump. My steering system requires more pressure than stock pump provides, so I had to install some other type. They are reported to get stuck in rare cases.

and back to your steering. So you put some system that for example comes with non-p/s version of the car or had to design everything from scratch? Just a matter of interest.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Yeah it just has a manual steering rack, power steer was optional back in those days.