Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3SGE BEAMS into RA65 celica.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Talking 3SGE BEAMS into RA65 celica.

hey guys i have just bought a new beams to put in my celica and just wondering what engine mounts or what modifications do i have to do to get the beams in my celica.
    also if you could tell me things i have to change and what not to get it in or things linned up
    cheers zac

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

Default Re: 3SGE BEAMS into RA65 celica.

what about a SA63 engine crossmember?
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Yep SA63 crossmember, engine isolators, engine mounts, bellhousing and gearbox, should make the conversion a snap. Looks like a trip to the friendly wrecking yard.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

NICE VIBE Backyard Mechanic marvis's Avatar

^ What they same as far as I know.

Good choice in car and engine

If the engine came with the 6 speed box, you should use that, instead of an old worn out 5 speed. The shifter can be moved forward by simple repositioning the cradle, (there are additional mounting holes in the box), and reversing the position of the socket on the selector shaft. Ddeane has one of these boxes behind a 230kw 1G-GTE, been there for years without any drama's.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

na im putting a 4speed behind one and a 5speed behind the other.well i was gunna use the 2s bell housing but the starter motor is gunna be a mission to get around the exhaust manofold but i tryd a 4Y bell housing and it fits and starter motor is on the right side and that but 1 hole dsnt line up but that dsnt bother me, so if any one has 2 4y bell housings ill buy them lol .i dnt no what tail shaft will work yet so if someone knows, key me in please lol.

ive heard people use 4y 3y bell housings but i wanna no wat starter motor they use?
    STEER WITH THE REAR

ok heres where i am upto.i have got hold of a 4y bellhousing, fits fine besides one bolt and the beams sandwich plate matchs and that and all sweet.i didnt wanna use the standard dual mass flywheel so i hunted around and found that a 3sfe flywheel fits(camry) and heres the big problem ok(im a ussless explainer so bear with me) the 4y starter motor wnt fit like it wnt go onto the flywheel properly so i got a 7m starter cause someone said they the same as 2s ones so i tryed that and no good.so i tryed 2s one thinking the guy that told me bout the 7m one was wrong , so anyway the 2s dsnt fit.so i am just about to give up and just use a standard dual mass fly wheel or (a mate of mine did this) got a 2s bellhousing and put a beams bellhousing starter motor lump on the 2s bellhousing but they beams bell housing is way over priced and i dnt c how it will be different to the 4y bellhousing because it is the same cause the beams sandwich plate matches fine soo im a bit stuck atm so please help
    STEER WITH THE REAR

Junior Member Carport Converter ecko's Avatar

did u test the starter with power to it?

Quote Originally Posted by ecko View Post
    did u test the starter with power to it?
    well i cnt even bolt it up cause the lil throw out thing wnt let it go in there further enough, if u get me.it hits on the flywheel
    STEER WITH THE REAR

Junior Member Grease Monkey

not sure on the 4y bell, but i think its the same as the 3y bell that i used.

i had an adaptor made by a friend doing the same conversion as mine at the same time.

ill hunt around for what starter we used, but it was a simple plate to space it back 12mm and an ofset bolt to change the placement of the starter wheel.

BUT we both used an aftermarket flywheel for the altezza. Mine trd and his was osgiken... dont know about the 3sfe .... i think that will leed to issues with the bearing? the altezza flywheel has the bearing in it, but i dont think thew other versions do.

Get the Vernier calipers out and measure the depth from the starter motor bolt up flange, to the back of the flywheel. This will give you the depth required to engage the starter on the flywheel.
    Go and measure the starter motor throw, and you can find one that will fit.

IF the starter spigot shroud is contacting the flywheel, find another starter with a different orientation.

Another problem you will encounter with the clutch, the throw required by the clutch lever to disengage the clutch will be short. You will have to fit a throw out bearing on an extended snout slide, or find a weird bearing .

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Quote Originally Posted by Fantapants View Post
    not sure on the 4y bell, but i think its the same as the 3y bell that i used.

i had an adaptor made by a friend doing the same conversion as mine at the same time.

ill hunt around for what starter we used, but it was a simple plate to space it back 12mm and an ofset bolt to change the placement of the starter wheel.

BUT we both used an aftermarket flywheel for the altezza. Mine trd and his was osgiken... dont know about the 3sfe .... i think that will leed to issues with the bearing? the altezza flywheel has the bearing in it, but i dont think thew other versions do.
    yeah 3y 4y bellhousing are the same.that wld be good mate thanx.what do u mean an offset bolt?aw yeah true i didnt think of that.ill work that out later.
    STEER WITH THE REAR

Quote Originally Posted by "Z" UTE View Post
    Get the Vernier calipers out and measure the depth from the starter motor bolt up flange, to the back of the flywheel. This will give you the depth required to engage the starter on the flywheel.
    Go and measure the starter motor throw, and you can find one that will fit.

IF the starter spigot shroud is contacting the flywheel, find another starter with a different orientation.

Another problem you will encounter with the clutch, the throw required by the clutch lever to disengage the clutch will be short. You will have to fit a throw out bearing on an extended snout slide, or find a weird bearing .

cheers Chuck.
    my mate works at a toyota parts place and he is bringing me a box full of starter motors that will be a good way to measure it.thanx chuck
    STEER WITH THE REAR

hey guys still having trouble.the starter motor hits on the flywheel like it wnt fit in there because i think the fly wheel is to large in diamater and it hits.so WTB flywheel non dual mass for 3sge beams lol
    STEER WITH THE REAR