Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damaged turbo

Gaters gonna Gate Conversion King Stomps's Avatar

Default Damaged turbo

hey, i pulled the front pipe off my turbo recently and to my shock/anger/murderous rage some of the compressor wheel fins are damaged, i dont know how but something must have gotten in there.... anyway

im wondering if this is gonna get any worse.. i made sure than nothing else can get in..
    only 2 fins are badly damaged.. (one has a chip in it and the other is bent back a bit).. some of the others are slightly bent at the end but nothing serious..

the turbo can still make the same boost it did before, but it drops off at higher rpm..
    none of the blades are rubbing the housing
    and yes i always ran an air filter..

im not really concerned how it happened, i just want to know is it likely to get worse if i keep driving..

a turbo rebuild will cost me anywhere between $770 and $2000, which means i cant afford it, and im prob better off buying a new turbo..

the turbo it a Trust Td-06h 18g.

any help/ advice would be appreciated.. including recomendations for where to get the turbo rebuilt..

cheers

Stomps

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Default Re: Damaged turbo

i just want to know is it likely to get worse if i keep driving..
    A turbo is a fairly precisely balanced item so having a munted compressor wheel would have to cause balance issues which in turn may affect its longevity unfortunately.

the turbo it a Trust Td-06h 18g.
    Shop around (sorry I don't have recommendations - you live on the wrong side of the country ) as I would have thought someone could replace the wheel and rebalance it for a reasonable cost??
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

my turbo had the arse end of pretty much all the fins chipped out a couple of weeks ago.

as a result, it doesnt make the same boost at higher revs, except mine is somewhat more severe, as i hit about 10psi, then it drops off to 7-8 psi as i get higher up, at MAX RPM it hits about 6psi :/

anyway, in the few weeks ive had it like this, i havent noticed any increased shaft play, although lately it has developed a much higher whine, although i attributed this to the increased boost im running...

obviously, having something spinnning so fast, and having it so unblalanced is a bad thing, so id sugges tto get it fixed ASAP, at the moment im in a bit of a financial slump, so once im out, illl be looking very hard for a CT-26...

Eldar.O.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

As for something getting into the front housing my friend had this happen to him. He had an Afm with a pod on the end and he made a strap to bolt it to the car and one of the bolts that was inside the intake that held the afm onto the strap he made went inside into the compressor. It rooted it hard, had to spool huge rpm to make full boost and quite simply sounded nasty. It was well rooted when we pulled it apart and it had destroyed half the front housing and mashed the compressor wheel. Had about half a cm gash ground down in the middle and had chunks missing too. Something like that may have happened to yours but his copped a bolt. So maybe something smaller.

As for rebuilders i would reccomend getting it fixed now before it gets worse and you end up needing seals, new shaft etc due to it more than likely running at a higher rpm now. Plus i would imagine it is quite off balance now and it would cause you alot more damage if it were to break up and go into your engine. Fix now = save impending disaster.

Few rebuilders are:
    GCG Turbos at condell park
    Precision Turbos at smithfield (or near there)

Mate had turbo done by Precision and they did a good job, GCG are the main distributors for Garrett.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

BlackSupra had a problem like this with his Trust turbo too. It eventually had a little hissy and scroed the bearings. Costs a pretty penny to fix. Be a WA pioneer, get a KKR 480 turbo from Otomoto and flog the TD06 off.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Grease Monkey

yeah i'd look at getting it rebuilt, you don't want it to cut boost on you while your driving it might damage something else in the engine. Depending on turbo it will cost about $350+, but if your gonna get it fixed might as well get the whole thing reconditioned.

Equipped with Bowls Hat Backyard Mechanic Adam_Cressi's Avatar

And the longer you leave it alone, probably the more harm you will do to the turbo
    Last edited by Adam_Cressi; 28-04-2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2JZ-GTE MX-83 Cressida
    Toymods Car Club Club Member # 185

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    yeah i'd look at getting it rebuilt, you don't want it to cut boost on you while your driving it might damage something else in the engine. Depending on turbo it will cost about $350+, but if your gonna get it fixed might as well get the whole thing reconditioned.
    where exactly is this?? the lowest quote i got in WA is $770, thats without the cost of a new compressor wheel..

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    BlackSupra had a problem like this with his Trust turbo too. It eventually had a little hissy and scroed the bearings. Costs a pretty penny to fix. Be a WA pioneer, get a KKR 480 turbo from Otomoto and flog the TD06 off.
    im actually completly broke so spending money on whatever that big mofo is kinda out of the picture..

Was just a suggestion, they retail for $899, are a newer design than your current one, rated to around the same power, come with a 6 month warranty and as a bonus you get a brand new turbo.

Surely being a Toymods member you might be able to persuade Slutty to cut you a deal

ahh, i didnt realise it was only that much, didnt mean to sound like an arse.. my bad, im just hell shitty that it happened..
    i dont know who that is or how to get in contact with them
    i would prob need a different manifold etc also...

http://www.otomoto.com.au or PM Otomoto on the forums, he's a sponsor.

At a guess you might be able to use an adapter, although you'll still need to have the dump modified.

cheers dude, it might be worth a shot

Stomps

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Do you have a blowoff valve?
    Suddenly slamming the throttle plate shut causes a huge reverse pressure wave in the inlet which can bend fins. That's why BOV's were invented.

yeah, a rather massive and expensive G-reddy racing item..

nah it wasnt that, something definitly went through the turbo.. i think a bit of the old rubber frontpipe broke off and was sucked through.. there appear to be little black marks around the inlet caused by something bouncing round...

thats been fixed now, just need a new turbo...

Stomps

Junior Member Domestic Engineer psychofox's Avatar

FYI, Trust will not supply replacement wheels for any of their turbos, I contacted both Trust USA and Japan to confirm this. So anybody quoting to replace the turbo will only replace the wheel with a standard Mitsubishi Wheel. I should know, I had a Trust TD06H-20G have the same problem - It cost ~$350 for the new wheel alone. I also got the centre rebuilt at the same time and it turned out to need a new shaft as the unbalance from the bent compressor had worn it out of tolerance.
    Wollongong Sporting Car Club - Secretary
    Current Cars:
    2004 TW Magna VR-X AWD w/6G74 - Tow Car
    1989 AW11 MR2 w/4A-GE 20V - Track Car