Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intercooling options on 1ggze RA28. (No room for regular front mount)

Default Intercooling options on 1ggze RA28. (No room for regular front mount)

Hey guys, The way i have the setup currently in the ra28 im building, the thermos come about 3mm from touching the grill. And using the radiator and a/c its very difficult to find some intercooling options. I was concidering tracking down the water to air setup of a gen1/2 1ggte (very small intercooler) due to my tight space, ive also looked into water injection but i really dont wanna have to deal with that shit. Would anyone have any good ideas? I was also concidering top mount, but i dont wanna have a bonnet scoop. Open to anything right now, comments on the idea of water to air etc.
    Steve

Default Re: Intercooling options on 1ggze RA28. (No room for regular front mount)

As you can all see in the pic below, the supercharger output pipe (rear of the charger) has limited space to chop into with pipwork as well, only a small rubber joiner, tho plumbing isnt really a huge problem atm. Just letting you all know exactly what im dealing with
    Steve

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Intercooling options on 1ggze RA28. (No room for regular front mount)

Intercooling a 1GGZE always presents a problem. As you have already pointed out your options are either water-air or water injection. The Subaru liberty water/air IC sits beautifully where the battery normally goes but the outlet hits the pipe going down to the blower. I had a custom plenum made with a 90 degree bend that connected into the liberty IC but since that mod also required repositioning of the throttle body and intake pipe to the blower I haven’t gone any further with it. There is also the problem of where to mount the intercoolers radiator and since you’re running AC like me you have no room for that either.

Recently I’ve been researching water injection systems and there is so much info on DIY set-ups that it would be a relatively easy way to go. The difficulty comes from experimenting with nozzle size and flow rates but again, the articles available on the net give good starting points for similar sized engines.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

There is another option you can look at involving a 1GGE inlet manifold which might make it worth looking at. Would give you more room to play with.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

PWR Barrel-Cooler (water-air).

Suggest also looking at frank's idea of using the 1G-GE intake manifold as well and throttle AFTER blower setup.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    throttle AFTER blower setup.
    With a positive displacement blower? That doesn't seem like a good idea...

Why not? Wouldn't be hard to rig up an air bypass valve to relieve the pressure when the throttle is closed. Isn't this kinda what the factory has anyway?

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

It's not pressure you have to worry about, it's flow. Imagine closing the throttle at redline, the blower is doing something like 10,000rpm and displacing 1.4 litres of air per revolution. That's an awful lot of air to bypass!

Once again though, ultimately the factory engine has a TB right, so it's going to have to bypass the air somehow.

There is a post called "Blow-off valve on a GZE" or something like that and it has alot of info on using a BOV as a bypass. Check it out

A 1GGE manifold is a good thought but by the time you mod everything else to suit you might as well do what I did and mod the original GZE manifold. The 1GGE manifold also sits much higher than the GZE. The barrel cooler might be worth looking at but the plumbing might be rather sepentine. Alternatively you could approach PWR to do a custom set-up for you that would sit where the battery goes and uses the original inlet and outlets. Depends on your budget really. I still wouldn't write off water injection. It has it's place especially for difficult installs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    The 1GGE manifold also sits much higher than the GZE.
    Is this generally going to be a problem though? It's no higher than a 1GGTE manifold which basically is the height of one throttle body above the cam covers.

*note to self, go look at 1GGE when I get home*

If you have a look at how a 1GGZE is set you'll see the problem. It uses a split manifold; one for the throttle body that feeds the blower and one for the engine that is feed with boost pressure from the blower.

So there is a throttle body before the blower and another throttle body between the blower and the engine itself? Sorry, i've never had a 1GGZE in front of me to compare, and there isnt any good pictures on the net.

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    It's not pressure you have to worry about, it's flow. Imagine closing the throttle at redline, the blower is doing something like 10,000rpm and displacing 1.4 litres of air per revolution. That's an awful lot of air to bypass!
    38mm turbosmart BOV does the job nicely for my SC12. Tis a little loud when it vents though. short video

Here is the thread about it.