Thread: KE55 3SGE Beams Conversion

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default KE55 3SGE Beams Conversion

I've got a KE55 that I'm in the process of rebuilding / repowering. I already have a 2T/3GTEU hybrid already rebuilt and ready to go, however I have a possible sale for the engine and was considering the 3SGE Beams engine.

I have searched and been unable to find an answer to my questions. Please redirect me if you know of any relevant threads.

The physical mounting isn't an issue, however the drive / fly by wire setup is a concern to me. I want to use the factory ECU due to easy of getting it engineered, and think that if I just change the throttle body to a regular cable type it will cause running issues. I understand that the throttle system runs a combination of cable and drive by wire. Can the original throttle pedal / cable be connected to the 3sge throttle with the factory loom and ecu? Will that work properly or does the system require some electrical trickery / sensors with the pedal like a true fly by wire setup?

Is there any other issues that are specific to doing a conversion with one of these motors?

Has anyone in Melbourne done this conversion?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Default Re: KE55 3SGE Beams Conversion

Drive by wire?
    BEAMS 3S's are normal cable actuated.
    They are quite easy engines to wire up and get running.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

That great if thats the case, however a few of the other builds I've found using this engine have involved changing the throttle body for this very reason.

Forum Member

Hey dude I'm putting a 3sge a x TRD New Zealand race engine in my ke 35 now.
    The throttle is semi fly by wire and not a fully normal cable actucted i'm running 4 throttles bodys on mine but before that was looking a xf falcon one
    the other prob is the steering arm hitting the alloy sump (this has me stumpped at the moment) and you have to cut the hell out of the floor where the gear stick comes out.
    I'm not in melbourne sorry but in Wodonga so if you want to do the drive up youre more than welcome to look at my car .but please note mine is a circuit car not a road car so i dont have to get a eng cert

Lee