Thread: valve sizes for supercharged engines - 4age

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default valve sizes for supercharged engines - 4age

Hi
    I am building a 4age for use with a twin-screw supercharger. I was planning to leave the valves at stock sizes, but while looking for info on camshafts I found a suggestion that exhaust valves should be larger for the same size intake valves in a supercharged engine. Basically, the theory was that since there is more gas to be removed from the cylinder, and the system lacks the restriction of the turbo, the engine benefits from the larger relative to intake exhaust valves.
    The suggestion was, where an NA engine wants around 0.75 intake:exhaust, a supercharged engine would benefit from 0.85-0.90.

Is this theory right? Have others heard this?

In the specific 4age situation; the stock valves are 29.5 intake and 25.5 exhaust, for a ratio of 0.85. if you get 1mm oversized exhaust valves the ration goes up to 0.90.
    is anyone aware of any benefit to using 26.5mm exhaust valves with the stock intake size on a 4age?

Thanks for the help

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: valve sizes for supercharged engines - 4age

The theory is sound but i wouldn't bother unless you are going for a maximum effort engine.

As far as i know 4AGZE heads are identical to 4AGE heads, so toyota thought it was good enough (and cheap enough i suppose) to leave them.

Will you be using aftermarket camshafts?
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

which is more of a restriction, the valve head size or the port? can you fit them in there and not hit on overlap?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    which is more of a restriction, the valve head size or the port? can you fit them in there and not hit on overlap?
    I have no idea. there should be enough room for 1mm oversize valves though.

Quote Originally Posted by roadsailing
    The theory is sound but i wouldn't bother unless you are going for a maximum effort engine.

As far as i know 4AGZE heads are identical to 4AGE heads, so toyota thought it was good enough (and cheap enough i suppose) to leave them.

Will you be using aftermarket camshafts?
    I am going to be using aftermarket cams.
    I agree that it probably isn't worth it, but i'm curious as to how much difference it would make.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

most people dont bother with valves and just adjust the overlap with cam gears and/or run staggered cams, from what ive seen anyway
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

I'd be looking at making a larger diameter, free flowing set of extractors 1st.
    With higher induction pressure (from the supercharger) than there is is back pressure from the exhaust, with the right amount of valve overlap a supercharged engine should scavenge the combustion chambers better than any road going naturally aspirated engine and shit loads better than a turbo'd engine.
    The key is getting the overlap right . Just enough to get rid of the exhaust gas dregs but not to much that you are wasting air that could have otherwise been mixed with fuel and burnt.

Mmmmm, continuously variable valve timing (and a programmable computer to drive it)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

I used a 272 cam on the exhaust, and went back to a stock inlet cam. Made it idle like stock, and pulled almost as hard at high revs, whilst making a LOT more torque at lower revs.

-RM

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

4AGZE head is exactly the same as a 4AGE head of the same type, except for the cam covers on the smallport, which have a larger breather pipe fitting and bosses for mounting the DLI coil bracket.

I can't help with the valve sizes, but I did gain about 2psi or so from retarding the exhaust about 3 degrees to close up the overlap a little.

Quote Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
    4AGZE head is exactly the same as a 4AGE head of the same type, except for the cam covers on the smallport, which have a larger breather pipe fitting and bosses for mounting the DLI coil bracket.

I can't help with the valve sizes, but I did gain about 2psi or so from retarding the exhaust about 3 degrees to close up the overlap a little.
    did you gain any power? or was the engine just not sucking in as much?

I am going to have to spend some time playing with cams once i get everything setup, but that is a while away. I have to get cams first (people i was getting them off got hit by an earthquake).

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Dunno, but it felt a bit better for subjective bum dynoing.
    I've stopped my development on my 4AGZE (save an SC14), as I am starting a 5SGZE build instead.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post

You can fit bigger valves with no issues... I run 1mm on intake and 1.5mm on exhaust

( I think.... id have to check its been that long since doing it...... and my members rides thread which had all that info available was mistakenly deleted by a moderator .)

In short yes you can fit them...... but you have to ask. What is easier / cheaper. Machining valves into head or bolt in cams......