Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camber adjustment for st162

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default camber adjustment for st162

Hello, Just finished rebuilding and re-installing a 3sge motor into a st162 (all in 4 days) when i finished putting it all together for my friend who owns the car i told him to go get a wheel alignment becuase i was pretty sure i would have fecked any camber settings it had due to the design of these cars and there camber adjustment.

Friend got back to me with the wheel alignment report, and the fellow that did it at bob jane says the car needs special camber bolts about $200 or so. And that he couldn't adjust the camber. I told my friend to get a second opinion, So he did, and my friend came back telling me the they said the same thing, needs camber bolts. Even tho i pointed out to my friend where the camber can be adjusted, the tire place said they were jsut straight thru bolts that did nothing.

I looked in the celica manual (rob so sorry i've still got your manual man! shit i owe you my life by now)
    And in the manual they briefly show a picture of the camber adjuster cam.
    Are these wheel alignment places just not cluey enough to find it/know how to use it? or do these celicast162's have nearly non existant camber adjustment? Has anybody done camber adjustment themselves on these cars? One wheel is about 2 degree's out, the other out about 1 degree.

Just looking for abit of knowledge in the area of camber adjustment with these cars.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

Default Re: camber adjustment for st162

never done it myself but yeah they can be adjusted a few degree with the standard lobes. does his have the adjustment lobes, some don't ...

i had the same prob until i said to the guy wtf do you think that is for?... no responce, camber adjustment, then they gave me a wheel alignment, it was fine

i think some just aren't cluey
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

My thoughts exactly, i think both tire places just couldn't figure out how to adjust camber on these cars, and said "you need $200 camber bolts to fix your camber problem".

Just had to get confirmation. Cheers.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

actually i should have said i have never adjusted it and measured it properly, i have done it for fun maxed the camber to laugh at the fully sick style
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Grease Monkey

mine only has the adjustment lobe on one side, and he other side, there isnt room inside teh strut bracket for the lobe to attach to the steering knuckle :s

EEYA! how strange.
    And could infact be the same deal with friends celica, i only gandered at the manual to confirm there was camber adjustment. Argh will pull wheels off and have a look see.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

well yeah my mates 162 was like that, adjustment on one side only, toyota probably did like with the aw11, they had excess hubs without camber lobe, so once they had used all the ones with them, they used the ones without
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

crazy!
    To release a car without camber adjustment. I suppose as long as it's never in a crash or anything to change the steering/suspension geometry you can count on it staying the same, and not requiring adjustment. (sounds foolish for toyota to do this to the celica and mr2 of all cars).
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Beer Fueled Domestic Engineer doobs's Avatar

It could be that there are 2 different hubs on the celicas...

I have replaced both wheel hubs on my car, and one of the new hubs has, what I assume to be, a camber adjustment lobe, while the other does not...

Maybe when the desigen slightly changed (Mid 87 I think) the hubs were changed...

yeah they were changed to odd sides, mine is an 86 and that has the adjustment lobes, a few other 86's i have seen also have them, the only ones i have seen that don't always have them are the updated s2 models.

its probably just cause toyota were using up thier excess parts, they do this alot.

eg.
    on the aw11, sc model don't have rear swaybars, yet early models have the linkage tab on the strut on the rear both sides, after a year half of them have the linkage tab on the strut on the rear left, but not the rear right, this was because they were using excess parts until they ran out and started then to make new parts with both sides have no tabs
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic matt86sx's Avatar

Yep Toyota definitely dropped the adjusting lobes with the Series 2. My '86 Series1 has them, but I have seen a few Series 2s now and they don't. I also discovered that the hub to strut bolts on the rear were changed as well - 17mm on Series 1 and 19mm on Series 2. (Unrelated to the front suspension that we are discussing here I know, just thought I'd mention it anyway!) From memory these bolts are 19mm on the front for both Series' though.

Matt

Yep you are all quite right, i've checked my friends car, has adjusting lobes for camber adjustment on both sides. But on my st162 wrecking car it only has the adjustment lobe on drivers side, nothing at all on passenger side all solid metal with straight thru bolts. This is the first i've heard of toyota doing this.VERY INTERESTING.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

Yeah series 2 dont have them but series 1 do. I have series 1 struts and hubs up front though so i got to keep that adjustment!will be getting camber tops soonish anyway. And yeah, the rear strut bottom bolts are a 13 or 14mm on series 1 but 15mm on series 2. Pain in the arse when tryin to chuck stuff from series 1 to 2 and vice versa. i endud up having to rill out the series 1 struts and machining up some sleeves/spacers for the others to go in. Was a waste of a coupla hours trying to find the right tools around trade school too.

grease monkey Grease Monkey

Hey man,
    well im a wheel aligner and to be completly honest with you, im not sure if you have a camber bolt or not without looking, but even if you dont you can still get up to half a degree by un-doing the strut tube bolts, pushing the top in for negative camber, or pulling it out for positive, it may not seem like it moved much but it does work on some FWD cars. But if its out a degree or more then you really need the eccentric bolt in the strut tube, most suspension shops like fulcrum should be able to do this. Also on the eccentric bolts only being on one strut, i have seen this before on a few cars, and the reason is you really only need to adjust the car to drive straight and and not wear tyres, so it lets you adjust just one side to match the other side. Also almost all FWD cars dont have camber or castor adjustments, meaning after the are in an accident then they can be quite f**ked in the front end, and have to be put on an auto-robot to have the sub-frame re-centred. Anyways i hope this cleared some stuff up, and if you get any questions PM me...

Cheers
    Scott

i'll pos rep that!! informative post Ta22.

StuC, series 1 would be st162 made in 85-86? Is it possible to take a spare driver side adjsutable strut and put it in the passenger side?
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4