Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scrap the 18rg, here comes 1JZ, but how

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Default scrap the 18rg, here comes 1JZ, but how

HI, well i've decided it's time. Time to get rid of the 18rg from my ra28 celica (actually the big end's decided it was time) Yeah, i could fix it, or could rebuild my spare, or....................... go a little crazy, spend what i can see being a fair bit of dosh, and drop in the almighty 1JZ!!!

Where do i start, i've seen a few done so i know it's possible. I've seen a few remarks saying ppl have done it here but i can't find any info/write ups of the hows/whats are needed. The only one that i have read up on was in zoom magazine (don't know when it was released) All they really needed to do was get a ta23 crossmember, move the firewall back 2ins (that'll be a fun one) and re shape above the gearbox - that's as far as fitting it in the engine bay was concerned.

Is there much difference in the ta/ra 23 crossmember. Will steering be my enemy??? I'm not terribly interested in going power steering (it's a great workout when it's not there) so that's one less thing to really worry about. What sort of structural support will i need to cope with the serious increase in power????

And lastly (for now) i gotta stop the thing. I'm thinking bigger brakes from a bigger car? Commodore??? Landcruiser??? I don't want to stray away from toyota's, but if it makes sense then why not. What fits???? What doesn't???? The more help the merrier.

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

Default Re: scrap the 18rg, here comes 1JZ, but how

hey,

1st of all good luck with the conversion all the best.

Please do a write up because i wish one day to do this conversion.

the difference between TA23 and RA23 x members is that the TA curves towards the back of the car where as the RA curves towards the front. one way or the other too dark to go and check out the TA23 x member 4 you sorry but im sure somebody here could clarify it for you.

as for the zoom magazine i think you are talking about the almighty HYP-O77 yes he did recess the firewall back 2in but he also used the original radiatior im pretty sure if you wish to use the supra radiatior you can get away from recessing the firewall.

i would suggest doing a search on these forums or the old ones for a celica brake upgrade or ask around here but you should explain to people what your main use of the car is going to be so people really help you out.

All The Best

IBZ
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Here is the link to the celica brake upgrade, should so you some good info......

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...+brake+upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Hey,

thanks for the x member info - i'd love to see a pic if you (or anyone else) has one - more importantly where i could get one from!!!!!. Still don't know why the change tho - i mean could it be shallower to not have to change the sump, or does the sump on the 1jz sit closer to the front???? and yeah it is the hypo77

My intentions for the car is just basically a power upgrade. I thought about turbo 18rg, but for the dollars i could get the 1jz in and running and still have alot more potential (and reliability). I really am just looking for a somewhat stock motor (i know i'll need a new computer for it too - suggestions anyone) so the 280hp standard from the 1jz is what i need to build the car to. Eventually (2 years) i would like to make it alot stonger ie big snail, hks cams etc etc. If i have to do it the first time i'll do it right tho ie good computer, brakes, car structure and stability, exhaust etc etc

Haven't found a source for the motor yet either, not sure on front cut vs import motor w/box on crate

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I have a TA23 cross member in my RA23 for the 1GGTE with front sump, I will try and take a photo for you if I can get over to my car in the next couple of days. Don't know much about the 1JZ conv. but I know with my car there is plenty of room round the steering components, a benefit on the front sump config. but unfortunately I need a custom front sway bar, not too much of a worry as they aren't too expensive. No doubt you've already looked at upgrading the diff, as the standard will blow to pieces if you drop the clutch.
    Good luck with the endeavour......

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

you'll need a front sump 1jz - which unfortunately rules out supra and soarer 1jz engines (the most common) - you'll need a chaser front-cut (or mark2 as well?). From memory, you do not need to move the firewall back - if you front-mount the radiator (in front of the support panel) there will be room for thermos - but bear in mind what this will do to your intercooler space.
    Brakes.... I'm not sure the celica items will be sufficient - best bet is to speak to an engineer to see what they would require. I know (most) engineers will pass a 1jz on ma61 brakes.
    steering I have no idea on, but remember you'll also be up for a gbox (w58 being easiest), whichwill require a 2jz-ge bellhousing, flywheel etc. to mate the 1jz to the w58. on top of this, you'll need a new diff (1jz will kill the stocky, plus you'll really really want an LSD), and since you're doing diff and gbox, time also for a new shaft.

That's all I can think of at the moment, except that you'll aslo prolly want to do suspension some time soon
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Budget $10,000 on top of the purchase of your 1JZ-GTE to do a tightarse conversion......

.... or budget $15k-20k to do it well.

... it AINT easy.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Spend the money on the 18R-G.

FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Spend the money on the 18R-G.

FTW.
    Seconded
    ...... butt scratcher?!

river is poisoning the minds of our youth!
    what do you want the car for? do you really want power:weight of 300rwkw per tonne? or even 200?
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

hi,

honestly, yes, yes i do. 200 rwkw is the starting goal, 2year goal is 300 rwkw. So yeah, fun fun fun. As for the 18rg upgrade - i'll spend just as much rebuilding it (turbo computer etc) as buying a 1jz and putting it in. Same amount of power so the brakes and diff have still all gotta be done regardless. Btw i intentend on getting 1jz w/box so no adaptor plates etc etc. As for the diff, i'm pretty sure i've got an lsd as i think the ra28 is a gt. ( i expect river to jump in here soon) All the badging is gone as the car has undergone a resto previously but the model no's indicate it is a gt (ra28r-mq-mmr) Can someone confirm or deny this thought?????

As for the sump issue, can toyota supply new chaser sumps??? And does the oil pump need a different pickup because of the difference in shape of the sump????

The Witzl, what makes you think it'll be 10k plus the motor for a tightarse conversion????? I intentend on getting the motor and everything in for less than 10k AND doing it well. Am I forgetting something???

Oh, and that'd be awesome to see that pic sikaleptik

yes, but is it an f-series or a t-series? 200+rwkw will chew up that little t-series diff.

I've never asked toyota about new sumps, but they can be had from wreckers.. just bear in mind you need the dipstick and pickup to suit the sump.
    if you're planning on using the gbox that comes with the engine, get the persuader/blowtorch out and go to town on your transmission tunnel, cause I'm willing to bet the R154 will not fit in there without some lovin'.

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

are u actualy going to hack up a GT??? why man, get urself an LT and destroy that. spend 20k restoring the GT to its former glory or sumfin...

u know everytime a bell rings, an angel gets its wings? wel its quite the opposite wif the GT's.. everytime a angle grinder screams, a GT losses its value. its all very much...
    mayb river should stay out of this thread, i think it will hurt to much to read it...

ahahha
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    I intentend on getting the motor and everything in for less than 10k AND doing it well. Am I forgetting something???

Sure thing guy, good luck with that.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

well if you've got a mate who's giving you a half cut then sure, that's possible.
    Have you done a conversion before? costs stack up REALLY quickly - the golden rule for first-timers is approximate what you will need, then double it.