Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: scrap the 18rg, here comes 1JZ, but how

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: scrap the 18rg, here comes 1JZ, but how

Hard to see, but I don't have any problems with my steering arms, there is plenty of clearance, enough to put in rack and pinion. Not sure if it would be different with the 1JZ....
    The curve of the RA xmember is far more pronounced than the TA, so if you were to flip that Xmember 180 for whatever reason, then you would probably have issues with steering.

User Conversion King

is it just me or is ther no front sway bar?!?!

i bet you could fit 14 weetbix in that sump ...HUGE
    hello

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Yeh, need a custom swaybar to fit around the sump.....maybe a big hammer would work......

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

I don't think a big hammer would make a good swaybar......... i'm just thinkin remove it and the steering. Once the motor is in i'll see what fits and what doesn't. I know i'll need a new swaybar but i'd want a stronger one than normal anyway. Gonna try to get as little body roll as possible, solid as a rock.

Does anyone know if the ta23 to ra2X x member change is as easy as unbolting and re-bolting. Sounds easy in theory (but doesn't everything????)
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

yes it is easy as it sounds.

i also took some pictures of my ta23 x member just waiting to my bro in law to send them to me
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

Pics of my ta23 x member as requested hope this helps mate.

best of luck.

please document every move as i would hopfully one day be able to do this conversion.
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

Mate that's awesome. thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you. I know i'm probably pushing my luck but what's the chances of an underneath photo????

As for a detailed "how to" i intend on continuing this thread until it is done. Every part and very dollar will be listed here. First things first, find the 1jz-gte w/auto box (insert drool here)

Btw, anyone live in/around brissie with a ta23???? (to look at, not to steal) PM me
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

no problem with an underneath shot, i should have taken one although i didnt know what you wanted.

there is one problem though i dont have a camera so you are going to wait until i get my hands on one.

Hi dude, that's kool. I'm a patient person. I'm thinkin if i can't get a ta23 x member i might try to combine a ta22 and ra2x together. It might just do the job - hence the pics. It'll be needed before the motor goes in (for obvious reasons)

Does anyone out there have pics or know roughly sump configs on the 1jz's????
    Also i remember a mate of mine swapped over a 18rc from a corona wagon to a corona liftback but we had to swap the sumps over as the x member was different. The liftback was the same config as the celica. What's the chances of a corona wagon (82ish) fitting into a ra2x????

Anyone got a corona wagon to get pics off??? they aint that common i know!

Thanks again,
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

I Have installed both a 1G & 1J into my RA23. For the 1J I had to do a fair bit of fabircation to get it to fit. I already had a new firewall but I had to further notch out an area where the engine will sit back into the cabin so you will need to learn out to use some sheet metal and al least know how to use a MIG welder. Then I had to make a new transmission tunnel. Im using a ford C4 gearbox that would be a similar width to an R154 but the C4 tapers back quickly towards the tailshaft. When making the new tunnel I had to remove the celica gearbox mounts so that creates another prob. I then had to get a new gearbox crossmember that is wide enough to go from rail to rail with custom mounts. I also have converted to rack and pinion steering. There is a fair amount of work involved so do your research
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

hi mate, thanks for the input. I haven't actually got a motor yet so i know it makes it a bit difficult to get started on it as far as measurements are concerned. did you use the chaser sump w/ta23 x member??? or a different combo???

I have done a bit of looking and from the measurements i have been given, the motor will fit in the bay fine but will scrape the snot out of the radiator. I figure it'll be easier to move the radiator forward 2" than the firewall back 2". I accept that i will have to modify the trans tunnel either way but i've got a mate that can mig pretty well. I was hoping to actually get an old 23/28 shell from a wreckers and do a lot of cutting and a bit of pasting for the trans tunnel. Hopefully making the g/box mounts a bit easier - but i don't know as i don't have the motor/box yet.

Where did you get your motor from and how much???? Come complete etc etc

Also did you drive it at all b4 the rack and pinion steering???? Just wanna know if it was a pig to drive or not.

Thanks
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by Pube
    I Have installed both a 1G & 1J into my RA23. For the 1J I had to do a fair bit of fabircation to get it to fit. I already had a new firewall but I had to further notch out an area where the engine will sit back into the cabin so you will need to learn out to use some sheet metal and al least know how to use a MIG welder. Then I had to make a new transmission tunnel. Im using a ford C4 gearbox that would be a similar width to an R154 but the C4 tapers back quickly towards the tailshaft. When making the new tunnel I had to remove the celica gearbox mounts so that creates another prob. I then had to get a new gearbox crossmember that is wide enough to go from rail to rail with custom mounts. I also have converted to rack and pinion steering. There is a fair amount of work involved so do your research

the question is.....was it really worth it in the end?? how does the 1jz compare with the 1g in terms of power/traction/weight dist etc.?
    hello

I hope it will be worth it in the end as its not finished yet. I think weight distribution will be ok as I have the engine as far back as possible, as far as the front sump will allow. Here are some pics that will show what you should expect if you are going to install a 1J into an ra celica, thats if you do it properly!

thank you thank you thank thank you thank you thank you. Could you maybe get some closer pics of the engine mounts???? Did they come anything close to the ta23 xmember mounts?????? What diff upgrade are you going to do???
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

I made my own mounts and used commodore v8 (VN-VS) rubbers which are fairly universal. The amount of stuffing around trying to make original celica mounts fit, its easier to go custom in my opinion. For the diff ive got a ford 9 inch.