Thread: Closing of 18R-G threads?

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Default Closing of 18R-G threads?

What the..... River?

Dedicated threads are not always the best place for specific questions.
    It's very easy for discussions on one topic to get lost in a dedicated thread with all the other chatter that goes on.
    It's also easier for people to find answers on specific problems using the search tool if the answers are in a separate thread. Looking through 500 pages of replies for one bit of info is not fun.

I can't see any real reason to lock these threads.

Anyone else agree?

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Default Re: Closing of 18R-G threads?

i agree with you MWP.

when i do a search for anything on my car, it sends me to the same 2 sights, then i have to scroll through heaps of pages to find the answer.
    Specific questions should be kept seperate and not in a broad thread.

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

try using googe, search for the terms you want and add "site:toymods.org.au" at the end.

poops all over the forum search engine
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I hear what you're saying guys, but we do have some dedicated threads for the 18R-G. And, just 'cos these threads are large doesn't mean that new similar threads need to be opened.

Over time, as always, the 18R-G threads I closed today will grow and become large. Then we will have 4 or 5 large 18R-G threads with similar information mixed throughout. Which means someone will have to search through more threads.

Then, someone will start a new 18R-G thread 'cos the others are massive, and thus the cycle keeps going.

Basically, the threads I closed were 18R-G questions that could of been asked in the dedicated 18R-G thread, and did not require a new thread. Really.. c'mon.. you got to agree to that? If we started a new thread each time we wanted to ask something different about any one particular aspect of the one engine (or car type) then we'd have hundreds of threads - hence the dedicated threads (to haold all this info).

Do you really think it unreasonable to close these threads when we already have dedicated threads for the 18R-G?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_mx83 View Post
    try using googe, search for the terms you want and add "site:toymods.org.au" at the end.

poops all over the forum search engine
    Or use the 'Takai Toymods Search' when you click the Search drop down above - does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Basically, the threads I closed were 18R-G questions that could of been asked in the dedicated 18R-G thread, and did not require a new thread. Really.. c'mon.. you got to agree to that? If we started a new thread each time we wanted to ask something different about any one particular aspect of the one engine (or car type) then we'd have hundreds of threads
    "... then we'd have hundreds of threads"
    Well yes, isnt that how the forum is meant to work?

This forum has many thousands of threads. Are you going to close all the hundreds of 1JZ question threads and move them all into a dedicated thread?
    Are you then going to create a dedicated thread for each engine type?

hence the dedicated threads (to haold all this info)
    Um, isnt that what subforums are for?

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    This forum has many thousands of threads. Are you going to close all the hundreds of 1JZ question threads and move them all into a dedicated thread?
    Are you then going to create a dedicated thread for each engine type?
    I wouldn't be against a couple more dedicated threads (surprised there isn't a 4AGE one actually), but they shouldn't be exclusive. Not all owners of particular cars/engines frequent their respective dedicated threads, some of the dedicated threads are quieter than the annual Tumbleweed and Crickets Convention, and others are so busy (or spammed) that some genuine questions quickly fall off the radar.

I see no problem with a re-direct to the relevant dedicated thread as a possible source of answers, but the thread should still be left open to discuss the particular topic raised through to it's conclusion (at which point it can be closed or left to fall off the radar)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

My main issue with it, is you might not get as much help in a dedicated thread as you would otherwise.

For example, if you had a question about 18R-G carbs, if you put it in the dedicated thread, only those reading the thread would (maybe) notice your post.

But, if it was a normal thread, those who wouldnt normally look in the dedicated thread, but know a lot about carbs in general would then notice and possibly help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    ... and others are so busy (or spammed) that some genuine questions quickly fall off the radar.
    Yeah, this is another problem.

but the thread should still be left open to discuss the particular topic raised through to it's conclusion (at which point it can be closed or left to fall off the radar)
    Agreed.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

The problem is, the threads wander about and before you know it there's more "dedicated" threads on the same topic, with info spread all over them.

However, I'm a reasonable man and I understand where you're coming from. However, I'm not so sure you understand my perspective, especially in regards to moderating more threads of a similar type.

In the interests of keeping some level of happiness and reduce angst and confusion, I have re-opened the threads. I hope I'm proven wrong and the threads will stay true to their topic.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

[/QUOTE]

I hope I'm proven wrong and the threads will stay true to their topic.

seeyuzz
    river[/QUOTE]

On this note, why not simply change the titles to 18RG/Tech only........

and 18RG/man love/relationship matters or whatever you guys talk about outside of your boat anchors

Just kidding,ive always loved the rattly idle of the 18RG,kind of like when you put your jeans in the dryer with a pocket full of change

-Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiceburnaGTV View Post
    ive always loved the rattly idle of the 18RG,kind of like when you put your jeans in the dryer with a pocket full of change

thats signature material if ever i saw it
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

this is a good example of the difficulty in finding some of the info in this thread.
    But it's great for the old's to this forum, but the newbies are having trouble locating stuff, it seems.

"I cant seem to find the info in this thread so ill ask it (dont shoot me). What head studs fit the 18rgeu from ARP, i read a few pages back that someone had bought mitsubishi head studs? What do i need to ask for. I'm just waiting on the engine re-conditioners to call me back with a price on pistons, gasket kit has been ordered so once i have the head studs sorted i can get to rebuilding my engine.

<edit> ok i found it, information in here is very usefully but near impossible to find. Needs a wiki

Quote:
    The machine work required to the head is to mill down the head bolt posts by ~19.0mm.
    The head studs are for the 2600cc Astron engine (G54B); ARP part number 207-4202.
    The mains studs are Toyota 7M GTE; ARP part number 203-5402 - these come with 2 bolts as well which aren't real useful for anything.

Damien

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I'm a very recent member to the Toymods Forum, but have been a Volvo forum member for years. In those forums, there is a new thread for each specific issue. In the recent example, there would be a thread for 18R-G head bolt. Once answered, the next 18R-G question would open a new thread, such as my question on timing, or the conversion to an electronic ignition. In this style searches pull up lots of threads if doing generic searches (i.e. 18R-G), but can pull up very specific threads (18R-G head bolts).

However to get this style to work the moderators have major folders for most of the models such as 2nd gen V70. Here we have major folders (Tech and Conversions), then major threads within "Life and times of the 18R-G" . Perhaps if there were folders underneath Tech and Conversions by either model cars (or my preference "engine type") it might make it easier for the newbie to find their way.

Either way, I would still just like to comment that this forum has been very helpful in providing me information I'm seeking, and the members are VERY friendly and knowledgeable. I've yet to see the snooty answers given when a novice asks some really dumb or kindergarten question that's been already answered a 100 times! My appreciation to those who are working hard in the back ground to make this such a pleasent experience.
    Checksix
    18RG 59 Bugeye Sprite