Thread: Twin turbo 1JZGTE or vvti single factory turbo 1JZGTE ???

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Twin turbo 1JZGTE or vvti single factory turbo 1JZGTE ???

Hi, Im fairly new to Toymods and this is my first post, Im from NZ and have just got my hands on a 76 RA23 (my dream car and rare as rocking horse's sh*t over here) I have just sold my 4agze ke70 dx corolla sedan to help fund this project but its on to bigger and better things!. I am going to do a 1jzgte conversion into the RA23 along with tubbed rear end coil overs possibly IRS rear end or shortened hilux diff with 17x7 fronts and 17x10 rears ect ect..

I have been offered two 1JZGTE's the first is a factory twin turbo from a JZZ30 Soarer complete with w58 gearbox (161k km) the second is the newer factory single turbo VVT-I which i believe is from a jzx100 (94k km) with no gearbox.

My question is which 1JZGTE would you recommend? I know the km's is a big factor but its a mission to try find a w58 set up for a 1JZGTE over here without importing one from japan for upwards of $1900. Is there any benefits from either engine?

Any info and your opinions would be much appreciated!

Cheers - Matt

Default Re: Twin turbo 1JZGTE or vvti single factory turbo 1JZGTE ???

I have also found another 1JZGTE from a JZZ30 soarer (160k km) converted to single turbo with the following (quoted from auction) :
    1JZ GTE
    161000 kms
    custom made single turbo manifold
    custom turbo
    external wastegate

turbo and manifold have done a maximum of 15000ks

turbo specs:

T04Z
    P Trim Compressor
    ar .60 Compressor housing
    1.04ar Exhaust housing

Compressoer housing is Biagio
    Center is Garrett
    Exhaust housing is Garrett

This turbo was built to run 23psi constantly, and a max 32psi.

also comes with uncut engine loom and 1/2 of mac truck intercooler with piping.

No gearbox.

engine is coming out of my crashed toyota soarer (Damage was to rear of car).

I will try add some pics of each engine if i can work out how to.
    Cheers - Matt

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

hey mate...
    the w58 combination for the 1jz can be sourced from an NA JZA80.. not sure how common they are being wrecked over there but they come up fairly often over here...

www.driftmotion.com is a US based website but it has alot of bits and pieces for conversions like jz to w58 bellhousings and flywheels etc etc...

i guess the reality of it all is what comes in at what price
    you can probably expect to pay between 500 and 1000 for a complete w58 gearbox conversion kit from a jza80 supra...

Cheers man, they're rare over here the 1g's and 1j's are mostly autos most of the manual setups are used for the drifting. I've been looking at r154's aswell they're going for roughly $2400 over here just for the gearbox (no bellhousing ect). Money is a bit of a factor at the moment as i'm a student untill august but as i've just sold my 4agze corolla ive got a bit of money to play around with and ive been offered these 1jzgtes. I'm contemplating buying the 1jz with the w58 just for the gearbox and selling the engine, then buy the vvti factory single turbo 1jzgte. I thought id try get the running gear so i can start on the fabrication work like engine mounts, g-box cross member ect and from there decide on the rear end then start on the body work and tubbing when im working full time again and have the funds.

1JZGTE & W58 from JZZ30 161k km (factory twin turbo)

1JZGTE from JZX100 94k km (factory single turbo)

1JZGTE from JZZ30 soarer 161k km (aftermarket single turbo conversion)

if the 1jz with the "w58" is a factory soarer manual one...

buy it... you will find that the jzz30 soarer never came with a w58 and in fact it is actually an R154...

ive never heard of a factory w58 setup behind a turbo jz motor... i could be wrong but thats what i think to be correct...

All of the engines are on trademe which is new zealands equivalent of ebay so i'm just going by whats been stated on the auctions. They all appear to be imported from japan as they are minus the vehicle. I got the kms of the 1st 1JZGTE with the W58 a mixed up with a different 1JZ its actually got unknown kms so i'm a bit skeptical, Im trying to convince the guy whose selling it to sell the w58 separately. In the auction he just stated it was a 5spd and i had to ask what the gearbox was.

I dont know that much about the 1JZGTE as ive only really worked with k series motors and 4age/4agze so its all pretty new to me. Thats why i decided to start this thread so i could hear what others opinions and the pros and cons of the twin turbo vs vvti single turbo, eventually i will do a big single turbo conversion but for now i just want to stick with the factory set-up so i dont run into too many problems with the engine and that way i have room to upgrade and improve later on.

Your help and info much appreciated!
    Cheers - Matt

well buy that 1 with the gearbox...
    just had another look...
    its definately an R154 you can see the slave cylinder...
    it isnt a w58 one...

also ide stick with non vvti but thats mainly as ive never used or played around with vvti...

Thanks mate huge help! I'll try get a hold of the guy now so i can try view/buy the engine. I just compared pictures and you're right it definately looks like and r154 gearbox, i wouldnt have even thought to look if you hadnt of mentioned it.

I am now the proud new owner of a 1JZ-GTE. I ended up buying the 3rd gen 1JZ-GTE vvt-i factory single turbo (94k km) as the 1JZ-GTE/R154 sold before the auction closed.. I'll have to try and find a w58 or an r154 when ive finished studying in august and have some more $$$ to play with but for now here is my new engine!

looks nice and clean...
    i personally wont have as much technical knowledge about the vvti motor though but im sure pleanty of others will know all about it...

Yea its definately nice and clean, i payed 2g for it, it was a choice between the vvt-i single turbo with the 94k km complete with ecu loom ect or pay $100 less and buy a non vvt-i 1jzgte twin turbo with 160k+ km or unknown kms with no ecu and cut loom. I figure as im still studying that i can do some more research and if it turns out that the non vvt-i is the better option for my application then im sure i'll be able to sell this for a profit, ive seen them go for $2500 plus. just trying to source a gearbox for it now, its not easy.. i wish i lived in australia, there doesnt seem to be to many problems sourcing parts for these engines or the 1st gen celicas compared to nz where its nearly impossible.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Did you get the MAF and ignitor with the engine too?

Edit: just saw the ignitor's still attached to the loom in the last pic

It had the igniter, i didnt check for the MAF, not 100% on what it looks like on the 1j? im pretty new to these engines.

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

From my research and seeing some dyno graphs, The 1jz-gte VVTI makes better power down low, but the 1jz-gte non VVTI has better midrange and top end.