Thread: 18R-G block

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18R-G block

Hello,

Are the 18R-G block and 18R block interchangeable. I'm trying to buy an 18R-G which is sitting in bits and the owner said he modified the block for an external oil pump. Since I'm putting it all back together anyways, can I use an 18R block with all the RG parts? Cheers

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

Default Re: 18R-G block

Gday vpatrol,
    Yes the 18R block can be interchanged with the 18R-G block. There are a few subtle changes to watch out for, first thing you will notice is the engine number on the 18RG is upside down.

The dipstick needs to be relocated to the other side and all other components from the 18R-G will have to be swapped over i.e. Layshaft and timing chains/gears, slippers, pistons and rods, dizzy plug, crankshaft is optional. Then everything else to support the twincam head which goes without saying.

I would be interested to know why the 18R-G ran an external oil pump, was this because it had a dry sump system. I am looking for a dry sump oil pump to replace my current unit.

Good luck with it.
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

thanks for that. Not sure why he put an external oil pump in. The engine is entirely disassembled which means I'll need to get educated on how to build it again. Instead of trying to plug a hole in the block, I was just going to use the block from the 18R already in the RA40 celica assuming they are identcal other than what was mentioned.

Is it easy finding the various bearings and all the perishable bits for an 18RG head including carb? I probably should have answered that before I bought the engine but wouldn't be fun if I research first!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

If you have an engine already setup with an external pump (ie dry sump) I would encourage you to stick with it, assuming all the required bits are intact. People pay a lot of money for this sort of thing.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

good to hear vpatrol - a great choice.
    i'm at a similar stage to you - ra40 with an 18rg in bits...
    i've found perishables easy to find just with a few phone calls to repco and the like. even found some bargains like a full gasket kit for $120! - I can't tell you much about the carbs, but my dellorto's have been easy through dellorto.co.uk.
    good luck to us both! - the one piece of advice i have at the moment, is - you need 'the green book'.
    also, i'm collating a folder on my desktop with some useful files for assembly if you pm me.

just got the motor today. Lots of bits, haven't inventoried yet. Two heads was nice though. I'll try to get some numbers off them tomorrow and see what's what. The block was drilled for an external oil pump but never set up. The guy was planning on putting it in a dune buggy. The engine came from a celica and he was pleased it was going back into one so he gave me a celica haynes manual. A nice addition to my two "green" books Having never built an engine, I figured two copies might make me smarter!

Question about the block though. I've only had a quick peak at the stuff before it got shoved in the wagon, but are 18RG blocks badged as such? This one has 18R on it.

I hope Repco in NZ has perishables. I've never seen an ra40 on the road here in 5 years and have only seen 2 for sale. Neither looked very road worthy.