Thread: 7mgte t61 on a sw20 3sgte

Junior Member Grease Monkey spanielmr2's Avatar

Default 7mgte t61 on a sw20 3sgte

hi all im hoping you can help me with some questions i have
    recently i was going to replace my ct26 on my sw20 i bought a ct20b to put on when i got the ct26 off i relised that it was a single entry turbo with a 3 bolt exhaust housing pattern and larger compressor wheel, now i think that it is a 7mgte ct26 pritty confedent it is.
    i have found a t61 turbo that bolts straight to the 7mgte manifold and was wondering if it would bolt straight up to my manifold and dump pipe as it has been modified to suit the supra ct26.

oh and i am running custom dump pipe, manifold and tail external waste gate.
    please let me know if you can help.

thanks
    Last edited by spanielmr2; 15-03-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

Default Re: 7mgte t61 on a sw20 3sgte

CT26 turbos are 4 bolt flanges.
    Someone else might confirm but I think trust use a 3 bolt flange?

Also, you might want to try adding some punctuation and spelling to make your post easier to read. A lot of people on here won't even bother posting in the state it is.

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by boxh34d View Post

Also, you might want to try adding some punctuation and spelling to make your post easier to read. A lot of people on here won't even bother posting in the state it is.
    Come on, that's pretty damn legible compared to some of the crap in here.
    If it bolts up, then there's a pretty good chance it will work.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

Thats the thing, the current turbo is obviously not a supra CT26, so any 'direct replacement' turbo will not fit in the current install, as it is designed for a different type of turbo.

And yes it was legible, and I replied to the post to answer the man's question. I merely made the suggestion that more people might have provided some feedback if there was more in the way of punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by the_random_hero View Post
    Come on, that's pretty damn legible compared to some of the crap in here.
    If it bolts up, then there's a pretty good chance it will work.

Front Yard and Backyard Mechanic white_sandshoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxh34d View Post

Can't confirm about 3 bolt flanges, other than it's definately not a CT26...

I'm not sure i decyphered the question correctly... but as far as I can translate it, you've taken a turbo off your SW20, and discovered it's a 3 bolt exhaust housing, and because it's single inlet, you're assuming it's a CT26 off a 7MGTE??? and now you've got a CT20b that doesn't fit?

Also, when you say the t61 bolts straight to the 7MGTE manifold, do you mean to say you have a stock, factory 7MGTE manifold kicking around, or do you mean it bolts up in place of the "CT26" you removed? (that isn't a CT26)

Another question, at any point, did you realise that a 3 bolt turbo cannot be directly replaced with a 4 bolt turbo? if your t61 bolts up to a factory 7MGTE exhaust, then it'll have to be a 4 bolt exhaust right? same as your CT20b... neither of which will fit in place of a 3 bolt turbo unless you make an adaptor plate or weld on a new flange to suit...
    Last edited by white_sandshoe; 17-03-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: oops
    "Think of it like customer service, but the customer is *not* always right. And, you'd rather not have their repeat business." - Mullett

"well I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine is a good start for me..."

Quote Originally Posted by white_sandshoe View Post
    Can't confirm about 3 bolt flanges, other than it's definately not a CT26...agreed

I'm not sure i decyphered the question correctly... but as far as I can translate it, you've taken a turbo off your SW20, and discovered it's a 3 bolt exhaust housing, and because it's single inlet, you're assuming it's a CT26 off a 7MGTE??? and now you've got a CT20b that doesn't fit? This is also how I understand it

Also, when you say the t61 bolts straight to the 7MGTE manifold, do you mean to say you have a stock, factory 7MGTE manifold kicking around, or do you mean it bolts up in place of the "CT26" you removed? (that isn't a CT26) I'm thinking it bolts as to where a CT26 'should' go as I've highlighted below.

Another question, at any point, did you realise that a 3 bolt turbo cannot be directly replaced with a 4 bolt turbo? if your t61 bolts up to a factory 7MGTE exhaust, then it'll have to be a 4 bolt exhaust right? same as your CT20b... neither of which will fit in place of a 3 bolt turbo unless you make an adaptor plate or weld on a new flange to suit...
    As soon as I've seen "T61 and bolt on", I assume this is the kinda thing he is talking about.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/T61-Turbo-Sup...item27affa4a2e

Junior Member Grease Monkey spanielmr2's Avatar

thanks for everyones imput i do appreciate it.
    ok to make things clear the turbo that was on the car is infact a ct26 single entry from a 7mgte i have worked out that the custom manifold and dump pipe have been made to suit the ct26 from the 7mgte, i have caused some confusion as i ment that the bottom of the dump pipe is a 3 bolt pattern, the actual exhuast housing is a 4 bolt like half the ct26's, i have now managed to track down a rebuilt high flowed ct26 from a 7mgte so for now i am just going to use that.
    thanks