Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help to choose forged pistons and rods 4agte

Low rep 1st year Apprentice

Smile help to choose forged pistons and rods 4agte

Guys , can someone give me some help with what brand of pistons and rods for good quality and life expectancy. i.e. ....rods (I beam or H beam)........pistons and ring types.......bearings etc etc ,,,,,,,so many makes on the market nowdays

Mk1 mr2
    GT30 turbo 4agze engine,Lightened and balanced crank,lightened flywheel, 272 cams , 750cc injectors,bigger fuel pump and of course NOZ wet system with probably 70jet for drag oh and yes i will be getting it bored to 20thou over on cyl's

Thanks for any info on this

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: help to choose forged pistons and rods 4agte

Hello
    Argo rods are good and australian.
    Pistons, use 4agze toyota ones. They are ceramic coated and the price is ok.

Corey

Not trying to be a Carport Converter

GT30 is a pretty big turbo for a 4A, what are your plans with the car? Drag/racing/hillclimb etc? I predict it won't be nice on the twisties....

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

If you're gonna use the stock gze pistons then the stock gze rods will also do fine. They are quite strong.

For a 4A, the bigger advantage with going to aftermarket internals is weight saving unless youre going for big power. From what I've seen anyway.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Low rep 1st year Apprentice

ok , sorry guys but i am looking into forged very high performance stuff i.e. spool ,ACL,Wiseco etc etc etc ...........Also H beam or I beam , is there one better than the other ?
    Cars being used for street and drag applications and if all goes well the sc12 will be put back on and twin charged

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice eviltwin's Avatar

I have a set of 20 thou oversize Genuine Toyota 4AGZE pistons with rings to match for sale , PM me if your interested.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

for my build i've gone with pauetr x beams and ACL pistons and bearings.

forged rods are forged rods generally speaking, getting the big dollar name brands like puater, carrillo, HKS etc you wont need to worry about them.

spool seem to be good by all accounts i've read

cheap alternatives are eagles but not as strong apparently. but still unless you chase massive rpm and boost they'll prob be fine.

there are a couple of aussie brands but i havent found much info on them.

whatever pistons you get they come with their own ring set. ACL, CP, JE, MAHLE etc

best to find a package deal from someone as they're all pretty much the same. dont forget ARP studs/head bolts.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

what abotu the stock forged rods? sure they might be a bit heavy but....
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

are the stock rods forged OC? i thought it was just the crank and (GZE) pistons???

and i agree with their strength, as posted earlier i would only change to aftermarket if i was chasing weight savings or stupid power
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

AE92 GZE rods are the strongest of the lot apparently

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

if he's goin a large turbo and 272cams then i'd asume he's chasing some decent rpm and would prob want the weight savings associated with aftermarket forged items to relieve some of the stress on the crank/bearings etc?

yup, but i wonder how much weight you can save, AND increase strength.. of course choice of alloy also comes into it...
    272's and turbo = 8000 peak power?
    with those numbers, it will be a balance between not breaking, and reducing weight.... at some point you have to sacrifice one or the other...

pistons could definitely be lighter than the stockers. arguably weight saved there is more important than saving weight in the rods

the shape of the AE92 rods is actually quite decent... (whereas the earlier and later ones aren't really a "high performance" design, but the later ones still do ok at high rpm)
    has anyone used the cheapy Spools yet?

(the flash you can see on the sides of the rods is from forging, not casting...casting would have litle to no flash.. more recent rods are from powder)

Any chance people could post up pics of the aftermarket gear (specifically the 4AG ones) for comparison?

edit: another picture clearly showing forging flash
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 08-03-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

I have heard many a good thing about Spool rods, pricing seems to be quite good too.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

so the entire gze bottom end is forged eh?? I had always thought the stock rods were cast.... would give you rep but must spread the love apparently

I have the same pics on my HDD as you have in your post OC, as well as this one, pretty much shows the same thing;

It is interesting to note that although the late bigport/early smallport rods look beefier, they are actually lighter than the late smallport/silvertop rods

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    It is interesting to note that although the late bigport/early smallport rods look beefier, they are actually lighter than the late smallport/silvertop rods
    look around the main bearing area.. the ST are much bigger/stronger there..
    the BT are stronger around the main bearing than the ST and probably the AE92 ones also