Thread: gze sc12 176mm crank pulley & 103mm s/c pulley probs

Low rep 1st year Apprentice

Smile gze sc12 176mm crank pulley & 103mm s/c pulley probs

Ok so i was bored and had some spare money to farf about.Got a 103mm pulley from pulley bros and have an aluminium 176mm pulley from Fensport in UK.Before i got 14psi boost with new style std toyota s/c pulley. With this set up i am getting the same but it drops off to 5psi within 2sec of planting it in 1st,2nd and third (hammering it) if i just floor it in 4th or 5th whilst cruzing at 60-100kph then it seem to hold the boost.

Well i thought it was maybe the belt but seriously i cant get anymore torque from the adjusting bolt i.e. it's so tight and the belt is also.Only thing i am thinking now is the clutch plate (new small type std) is not up to the torque and is slipping as it is metal to metal onthisset up . I have an older clutch pulley (bigger dia) which i was thinking of trying but am open to any new ideas, and yes i had these clutch pulleys re-faced at a machine shop.

Spirited Backyard Mechanic Casey-G's Avatar

Default Re: gze sc12 176mm crank pulley & 103mm s/c pulley probs

You need to look at doing the ABV mod or delete it all together

ok sorry i forgot to mention , i have fitted a water to air intercooler (from frozen boost in u.s) i at the same time removed the ABV and made and fitted a blanking plate which i sealed with silicon sealant. also i blanked off the port hose into the inlet to the s/c with 2 hose clips to make sure it didnt leak

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Casey-G View Post
    You need to look at doing the ABV mod or delete it all together
    Don't remove the ABV, it's there for a reason!
    A supercharger is just a pump. Any time you restrict the inlet of a pump, it causes cavitation.
    Cavitation causes noise, heat build up and slowly but surely abrades away the insides of the pump. This isn't my experiance, but the experiance and research of (mechanical) industry.
    The only way to avoid cavitation of an overly restricted inlet (throttle body before the...) pump is to provide a means of pressure equalising across the inlet and outlet of the pump when the inlet.

If you are still using the standard throttle body and inlet plumbing, then you are wasting your time trying to get the supercharger to pump at a higher boost pressure. The standard TB is to small for the standard SC with the standard pulleys. Expecting the SC to pump even more air with the standard TB will only raise the pressure ratio for SFA bennifits and all the negatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Spirited Backyard Mechanic Casey-G's Avatar

It is also possible that your supercharger is beginning to wear.

double check all hoses are secure and have no splits, its sometimes good to go buy some new vac lines and just replace everything.

Edit:

As above has mentioned a Stock TB will be a major restriction, you can use a gen 3 3sgte throttle body on your 4agze as it is a direct bolt on (almost)

more info here : http://www.jdmlevin.com/3SGTEThrottlebodyInstall.html

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

You realise that a 103mm pulley with a stock 4AGZE crank pulley will spin the supercharger to it's maximum RPM limit at redline? Any larger pulleys on the crank and you risk an almost guaranteed catastrophic supercharger bearing failure.
    Also, the maximum continuous boost that these superchargers can produce is 12PSI, they can handle a maximum of 14PSI only for short periods (only every now and then).

If the old clutch on the SC12 is slipping, you might be able to order a new clutch face from Toyota. Ask for part number 17068-16020 for the AE101 and MAP AE92, or 17068-16020 for the AFM AE92, AW11 etc. Other than that, see if a machine shop or clutch place can machine the surface of your supercharger clutch to make sure it's dead flat.

If that doesn't help, contact the pulley bros and ask them if they can supply you with a 12 - 24v DC-DC converter if you haven't already got one. The higher voltage is used to make the supercharger clutch bite harder and prevent slipping. (I got one with my SC14 103mm pulley).

ok guys thanks for the input , like i said i was just bored and farfing around to push it to the limit, i have 3 spare 101 engines/g/boxes etc so it's just experiance for me .I am still getting together this 101 gt30 build so this just covers the time .I like the sound of this inverter and will contact them as it's their pulley anyways.I have heard of guys pushing these to 16psi with no probs.I bought this car fom Queensland and trained it over here(original inport gze mr2 with lsd from japan)unfortunatly it had been with roll cage and harneses etc so i presume it's been track raced obviously lol.Doesnt surprise me it's got fumped s/c but i have 3 spare here in good nick so it was in my thoughts to change it.Plus the pulley bros s/c12 pulley kit comes with a 3 ribbed belt due to bad manufaturing (as i noticed on this site after i bought it , but they did'nt mention) and am thinking tomorrow to install this davies craig water pump and controller to get rid of mech one so i can use a 4 ribed belt for more grip......just a thought cuz i have it lol...thank for the input guys again much appriciated.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Yea, you can run 16PSI, but it won't last too long at all....

If you do have a stuffed charger laying around that you don't want, don't throw it out, I'll take it off your hands!!