Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1 JZ-GTE vvti into Hilux

Lexus wiring junky Grease Monkey Demon's Avatar

Default Re: 1 JZ-GTE vvti into Hilux

Thanks, ya geez and what a pain. I was looking at some vacum diagrams that I got off the net and it shows a pressure sensor but for some reason I dont have one and picked it up by looking at where it runs out from the inlet mani and on mine theres jack. It would seem that it's got sumthing to do with that because the VSV valves are doing strang things like dumping its air when you trying to pull off and the FPR vsv valve also dose not switch over when you move from a vacum to a pressure. Also thought that it could be a case that the temp sensor is on the blinck and its dumping fuel all the time but it seems the cold start is working because it revs up hi on a cold start and as it warms it drops it's revs. It sure seems it's that it's over fueling because it real lazy and using alot. Do you know the ohms for that temp sensor ? I checked the TPS and see that this one can not be set. Checked MAF and seems good. On the 3sgte have you got a MAF ?

Otherwise it dose not miss a beat and runs very smooth just under powerd

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Wealth of knowledge here on 1JZ-VVTi http://www.jzx100.com/forum/index.php?

Thanks for the info, all is needed at this point. I ran thru the wirring over the weekend and ran thicker wires to the fuel pump, +B and to the coils. Seems a tad better and I got rid of that one code which was boost and Ignition. Code 14. The stock ECU is now clear. My eyes have now turned to the fuel delivery and think it's a case that Iam not getting the rite atomization due to low fuel pressure, sitting on 2,7 bar at idle and not sure where it drops to when im doing a run. The hilux pump is now a suspect. Looking at getting the bosch 044 pump and giving that a shot. Have you guys been here before ? Would I be rite in saying that bad atomization =bad fuel usage ? I would think so. I also see that my return line is sum what smaller ,from the motor 8mm to 6mm return line, have not checked my main line in yet. Dont wana be down the road of getting a new pump and it's all in vain.

Symptoms.

Power seems to fade off on a hill and then it just cant anymore. Im talking at around 140 Km/per

Heavy on fuel. Iv checked the if the injectors are blocked and nope, Iv changed the o rings that seal it to the fuel rail and there is not a leak anywhere that iv seen.

Seem when it idles at an angel on a hill with the nose facing down for a while and then hit the gas it blows black fuel smoke out ( not one error has come back from the 02 sensor thou)

Apart from that like I said before not a miss fire at all, all the plugs are clean and when I take a flash lite and look at the top of the piston it looks like it was made yesterday ( not a spec after about 2000k)

Any spec of info would help

Thanks gents

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Just read your thread, very nice & very neat job, i'm impressed ..

Not sure if there is any advantage running a radiator fan shroud on a push through fan set up though, but nicely done ..

Regards ..

Rob ..

Thanks. Wanted to fit a big suck fan but no space on the inside, had no overheating thus far thou. Have any of you guys got a rear sump setup for the 1j ? I still have my front sump ...swop ?

Junior Member Grease Monkey 50RTD's Avatar

G'day mate,

Very nice, clean and clever setup, congrats getting it running! Love the use of hard board for templates, im a big fan of the card-template, although you seem to have it down to a fine art!!

Im not sure if you have solved your error code issues, but one thing i have done on every car ive ever had anything to do with, is to pressurise the entire intake system with an air compressor (need to rig up a sealed cover plate for the inlet of the turbo to allow for pressurisation) and listen for leaks/spray soapy water on hose unions, blow off valve, intake bungs/hoses etc etc.

I learnt this on one of my cars on the dyno, it wasnt quite making the sort of curry that it should. Did this, and found a bunch of small leaks around hose clamps and the bov and a few others. Gave everything a quick once over, picked up 70hp @ wheels there and then, around a 25% gain.

Since then ive seen this often overlooked check technique solve all sorts of problems, especially with airflow metered vehicles, where a leak in the intake system causes the computer to read incorrectly, run rich and generally shithouse.

Seems like you know what your doing and im not suggesting this could be the root of the issue, but may help.

All the best with the build!

-Dan

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Awesome work mate looks tidy as!

Thanks guys. Did check the boost pipes awhile ago and all was good. One thing I found was that the a341e auto box has got very small first and second gears so im going to change the diff from 4.55 to 4.88 just to get more pull off. Other than that iv had not one code come back from the time that I changed the ignition main feed and it still runs as strong as a bull, in daily use

Loving the build, very original set-up. It's like the 1JZ is meant to be a hilux.
    In regards to your issues, do you still need the resistance of the temp sensor? Are you running O2 sensor, they could cause the motor to chew petrol.
    Another thing where did you get the the thermo fans from, they look very thin, would work well with my RA23 1JZ set-up?

Regards, Flex

Thanks. Not to blow my own horn but most of the guys that have seen it say it looks like it was done by the agents. Have checked the sensors and seems all fine....going to swap out the diff soon to a 4.88 and see. Mate of mine has just done the lexus v8 vvti motor in the same shape hilux as mine and he is running the a640e 5 speed auto box and finds that it is a bit to much on the pull off so we are going to swap diffs.

The fans were made in Japan and not sure what they came off.( Scrap yard ) The Nissan almera has got very much the same fan just a bit bigger. Fans I got are nice and strong for thier size thou and do a good job

How thick are your current fans (also what about the Bosch 3 stage). How did you make the shroud? It looks like you welded a ring onto the custom fan bracket you got laser cut. Love the work.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable

You can only ever have two..

I got hold of a bosch stage 3 BMW fan and that thing needed a control board to run it, also had a space problem with that size fan. If I can remember I had that ring around the fan cut to 40mm and it sits flush with the fan. Also put one fat core radiator in so that also helps

Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    G'day mate,

Very nice, clean and clever setup, congrats getting it running! Love the use of hard board for templates, im a big fan of the card-template, although you seem to have it down to a fine art!!

Im not sure if you have solved your error code issues, but one thing i have done on every car ive ever had anything to do with, is to pressurise the entire intake system with an air compressor (need to rig up a sealed cover plate for the inlet of the turbo to allow for pressurisation) and listen for leaks/spray soapy water on hose unions, blow off valve, intake bungs/hoses etc etc.

I learnt this on one of my cars on the dyno, it wasnt quite making the sort of curry that it should. Did this, and found a bunch of small leaks around hose clamps and the bov and a few others. Gave everything a quick once over, picked up 70hp @ wheels there and then, around a 25% gain.

Since then ive seen this often overlooked check technique solve all sorts of problems, especially with airflow metered vehicles, where a leak in the intake system causes the computer to read incorrectly, run rich and generally shithouse.

Seems like you know what your doing and im not suggesting this could be the root of the issue, but may help.

All the best with the build!

-Dan
    yep , just the very same as you said mate.. but instead of trusting your ears, do the same as you do every time before you light your BBQ when u get a new cylinder from the servo (yo do do this right?) is get one of those 50c spray cans from bunnings and fill it up with washing liquid and water and spray all of the suspect leaky unions and watch for bubbles. cheap way of knowing yours and your loved ones safety is not at risk right?
    Owner / operator of Souwester Marine . for all your boat maintenance needs. cleaning / detailing , polishing, paint, antifoul, fibreglass repairs / modifications (also for cars) .. I want an avatar!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Thanks. Not to blow my own horn but most of the guys that have seen it say it looks like it was done by the agents. Have checked the sensors and seems all fine....going to swap out the diff soon to a 4.88 and see. Mate of mine has just done the lexus v8 vvti motor in the same shape hilux as mine and he is running the a640e 5 speed auto box and finds that it is a bit to much on the pull off so we are going to swap diffs.

The fans were made in Japan and not sure what they came off.( Scrap yard ) The Nissan almera has got very much the same fan just a bit bigger. Fans I got are nice and strong for thier size thou and do a good job
    The 4:88 diff ratio is a must Mine has it using a 5 speed trans and heavy duty ceramic clutch. Its very fun and will eat those commodore utes