Thread: Using Jaycar Rev limiter as "valet mode"

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Default Using Jaycar Rev limiter as "valet mode"

Gday lads,

I'm just contemplating how i could go about running a "valet mode" of sorts in my car, for when i have to drop it off places for them to work on it (no, i don't trust anyone). What i was thinking was that i could use the jaycar rev limiter (combined with the immobiliser to cut ignition).

Rev Limiter / Gear Shift Indicator Kit

Refer Silicon Chip April 99. Reaching or exceeding the RPM ³red line² of your engine can cause severe damage. This rev limiter will restrict the RPM at an adjustable preset limit so that ³red line² will not be exceeded. Two lamps will illuminate consecutively before ³red line² and another when the limiter is activated. The rev limiter can be connected to 2 & 4 stroke engines with 1 to 12 cylinders and uses Hall Effect, points, low voltage signal reluctor or ignition coil to measure RPM. The project will also perform as a Gear Shift Indicator to improve acceleration times. The rev limiter requires the KC-5255 Engine Immobiliser Kit, which connects to the ignition coil to perform the rev limit. Kit supplied including PCB, lamps and electronic components.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

And the immobiliser:

Engine Immobiliser MKII Kit

Ref Silicon Chip December 1998 This Immobiliser repeatedly stalls the engine when a thief tries to start your car. The circuit allows the engine to start, but will stall the engine after about two seconds, giving them the impression that there is an intermittent problem. They should then move on to another car. An add-on project in Silicon Chip Jan Œ99 (KC5257) allows a keypad connection for disable. Kit supplied with PCB, plastic enclosure and all specified electronic components.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

My question - if i was to set this for say 2000rpm so that no spirited test drives of my car could happen, will cutting spark to the engine in this manner be potentially harmful at all? Particularly if some apprentice is trying to boot it?

Cheers lads
    Bardin
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

GT4 Freak, and Conversion King Squid's Avatar

Default Re: Using Jaycar Rev limiter as "valet mode"

Dude - If you cant trust a mechanic with your car, I suggest you do all the work yourself...

I do and will continue to - but there will be odd occasions, like tyres / balancing / alignment that sort of gear when its a whole lot easier to leave it in their hands, and we all know its all too common for them to take it for an overly spirited spin on occasion..

Call me paranoid, but thats life Better safe than sorry

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

I used to think the same as you, but I've come to the conclusion that I thrash my car at least 10 times harder on a daily basis than any place I take it to will ever do.

Just get over it.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    I used to think the same as you, but I've come to the conclusion that I thrash my car at least 10 times harder on a daily basis than any place I take it to will ever do.

Just get over it.
    You're probably right, and this already occurred to me - but its a difficult thing to get over now that i'm doing the whole lot from bare metal now, the thought of my baby being hurt..

Anyhow, debates over it being a waste of time and effort aside (this i can continue to contemplate), can anyone comment on the technical aspect?

Technically it will work fine.

But what ECU do you have? Or are we running carby?
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

easiest trick is too never leave your car alone with these people.
    tyres/balancing/alignment etc, i always watch and wait. you get a better job, better service and you know no wanker has booted it.
    technically it _will_ work as crusida said, however setting and adjusting the limiter thingy everytime you take the car to a workshop is gonna be a real pita. i doubt it would be a 1 minute job...but i may be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Technically it will work fine.

But what ECU do you have? Or are we running carby?
    Running ca18det (or will be... in the middle of spraying the car). Stock ecu.

love ke70, You're right about just waiting, probably a fair call, its what i've done in the past when i've been worried about it, but one doesn't always have the time for that

I'm not sure whether i'll actually go to the trouble of sorting it, maybe once everything else is ironed out i will. But in any case, i was just curious if dropping spark like that when one is trying to boot it has any ill effects is all.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

well my Bee Racing rev limiter in my 180sx (ca18det) cuts ignition rather than fuel, it results in lots of bang bang bang bang

all the unburnt fuel ignites when it hits the zorst.
    Ive often hit the limiter under high load, and have not had major problems from it, I guess "danger to manifold" or turbo would be the biggest concern.

If you are running a CA18DET just piss off the factory ECU and go aftermarket.
    Sounds like now is a good time!

Hehe
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS