Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rep in the forum members rides section

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Default Rep in the forum members rides section

I for one am all for it being reinstated. Alot of people post their tech questions in their build thread and alot people help with said questions.

02JZEs threads have got me thinking about it. Hes a new guy with little experience or knowledge but has jumped in head first with a 2JZ conversion with big single setup and a pretty cool electric pushy thats been speced up to be quite impressive. His current rep is 26 despite doing some quite impressive work.

I realise back in the day people got a bit carried away with dealing out rep for funnies/etc and has led to some very high rep scores for people that dont really participate in anything technical, but there also was a day when noobs joined and wanted to know how to get rep they were told to start a rides thread and show us their stuff. Have things changed that much that no-one cares what people are doing with their own cars and are only recognised for posting often generic information in random tech threads?

I dont mean to sound like a prick and I realise Im no massive toymods participant but it does seem like a bit of a no brainer to have rep point issued in rides threads to me.

Is there some problem with this that Im missing?
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Default Re: Rep in the forum members rides section

Yeah I agree, I used to like repping ppl for work they'd done..

Kind of a pat on the back..

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

i beleive it basically comes down to being too hard to police the buddy repping that goes in in the threads. at least thats what was said last time it was discussed
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

it was also stated that if something is rep worthy because of it's technical merit, then it should also be posted in the tech section, since not everyone trawls the members rides threads.

so... if you think something is rep worthy, PM the member and suggest they put that particular info in the tech section, for general public consumption...
    or something like that. ti is far too easy for good tech to be missed in threads which may otherwise be full of crap (of course it depends on the particular thread)

i've also had occasion where i wanted to rep someone due to their ride thread, but i agree with the tech section idea also...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

The problem is that good fabrication isnt worthy of technical merit due to it being completely custom for the individual car.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

All the "buddy rep" seems to occur in the dedicated threads in general car, yet rep is still allowed in that forum.

I say take rep out of general car and allow it in member's rides instead
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

^^^ agree with that!
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Thats pretty much what made me think about it. The only real technical threads that are started in the general section are the ones that were made there by mistake.

Meanwhile basically every thread in the rides section has technical discussions and write ups of how various things were done. I dont think the "buddy system" is anywhere near as prevalent in the rides section and Id be very surprised if theres many people on here that dont check it out every now and then.

I have a hard time understanding Takai's point. How is unique fabrication not worthy of rep? Sure just paying someone to do the fab work isnt worth rep on its own but doing it yourself definitely is. If not, what is worthy? Theoretical information only?
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

No, i meant that you dont really make posts in Technical about the fabrication that you do on your own car.
    Like out of all of the fab that ive done for the Supra, Sprinter and now Perms Cressida wagon about a poofteenth will ever see Technical. ALL of it however is posted in the Members Rides threads though, and is a very useful resource for people. Personally i keep coming back to Joel (TurboRA28s) posts about his brake upgrade as a good reference. But because its not posted in Technical i cant give him rep for it (well i did actually before rep was removed from Members Rides)
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

I've got so much -rep I want to give Owen in his ride thread but can't
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    No, i meant that you dont really make posts in Technical about the fabrication that you do on your own car.
    Like out of all of the fab that ive done for the Supra, Sprinter and now Perms Cressida wagon about a poofteenth will ever see Technical. ALL of it however is posted in the Members Rides threads though, and is a very useful resource for people. Personally i keep coming back to Joel (TurboRA28s) posts about his brake upgrade as a good reference. But because its not posted in Technical i cant give him rep for it (well i did actually before rep was removed from Members Rides)
    Oh, your point seems quite obvious in hindsight. Yes I 100% agree.

If im working on my car I might update my rides thread but theres no way Id make a tech thread unless I got stuck on something and had a question that no-one had answered in my rides thread.

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Maybe make a poll, River can let us know this isn't a democracy - but srsly, a poll on this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by whatthe? View Post

I say take rep out of general car and allow it in member's rides instead
    just to guage opinions at the forum level?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

does the poll have much meaning when non-mods don't know the amount of buddy rep in that section?

the idea of putting tech things in tech section as a guide/assistance for everyone, rather than being hidden on page 34 of 114 in someones ride thread... doesn't seem like such a bad idea...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

this then brings up the idea again for a sub-forum in General Cars Discussion for the dedicated threads, then rep could be locked out from that sub-forum.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    does the poll have much meaning when non-mods don't know the amount of buddy rep in that section?

the idea of putting tech things in tech section as a guide/assistance for everyone, rather than being hidden on page 34 of 114 in someones ride thread... doesn't seem like such a bad idea...
    The doubling up doesnt worry you? Id feel a bit stupid updating my rides thread as well as writing a whole separate thread in another section. Would feel like a bit of a desperate grasp at getting some attention to me.