Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rep in the forum members rides section

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Re: Rep in the forum members rides section

Hi,

LOL... we can try, but rep was always suppsoed to be for tech info and it was so abused we had to remvoe rep from many sections.

Basically, no one listens and they will do their own thing. Just look at the number of ppl who still piss on the sig rules or the classifieds rules.

The rep in MR will go wild with buddy rep and its not like the more sensible/mature ppl will go into every MR thread and try to remove poorly guiven rep.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Make me the mod/god of MR rep and I will rule with an angry fist!!
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    The problem is that the fabrication which applies to all cars (C/P/H brake upgrade thread is a good example) needs to be in Technical, but the fabrication which applies to only one specific car, such as Jeffros RA28 firewall mod or VA61DETTs MA61, shouldnt be in Technical, but is still rep worthy.
    Lifted from the FAQ on Reputation:

Reputation is a way to measure rank of users in a forum.

Rather than using the antiquated and easily abused method of ranks based on number of posts reputation allows the users of the forum to decide how valuable the input of other users is.

So if rep has now become further defined to be a measure of an individuals technical worth to the forum which is more worthy of rep, information that can benefit many, or information that is soley member ride specific?

Not having a go Takai, just adding my thought to the discussion......

Cheers,

Pete

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Why cant it be for information that benefits the many as well as the few? Its alot easier to find general information, sometimes the more obscure information is the most interesting/useful.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Hi,

Not saying it can't be for both.

I was suggesting information that benefits more people is more worthy of rep than information that is only useful to an individual.........that was what I was getting at.

Pete

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Technical worth is measured in much more than multi-car applications.

However, if you want an example of stuff which i doubt will ever get crossposted into the Technical forum (and if it did probably woudlnt be useful as being able to see the presuppositions and leading up to decisions) look at Joels RA28 thread with the goldmine of 1MZ information.

As far as i see it the Technical forum allows people to be spoonfed one bite sized piece at a time. The Members Rides thread provides information on how and why people decided to go a certain route which imho is much more useful than bitesized pieces. It allows others to learn from mistakes, and helps people who might be doing a similar, but ultimately different conversion the information that they need.
    For example, in Joels thread there is the information on using the Pug306 discs with the RX7 calipers and the standard backing plates on RA28 struts. While im not going this route that information, and the posts leading up to Joel deciding to go down that path, gave me the information i needed to be able to piece together my MPV, FD RX7 spaced and RA40 strut conversion. Without the information i would have been floundering for much longer than i did.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i thought that was getting cross-posted here... (where i first saw it..and where i repped him as i couldn't in the members ride thread )
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...83#post1113983
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Some of it is, but the conversations about how they are doing stuff isnt
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    it was also stated that if something is rep worthy because of it's technical merit, then it should also be posted in the tech section, since not everyone trawls the members rides threads.

so... if you think something is rep worthy, PM the member and suggest they put that particular info in the tech section, for general public consumption...
    Read the thread and didn't note anyone mentioning it, so will ask here...
    Would that not be a breach of the rules by multi/cross posting the same information ?
    Punctuation is the difference between...
    'I helped my Uncle, Jack, off his horse'
    and...
    'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Hi,

Good question.

The rule was to eliminate the once often multi-thread posts such as... someone posting in the wanted adds that they want (for example) an AE92. And they also post in the dedicated AE car thread they want one, as well as maybe posting similar stuff in the "what pisses me off" thread if they can't find it, etc.

As the forums are more focused on technical information, the copying of good tech data from a members car thread into the more specific tech areas of the forums isn't regarded as useless copying of data or irrelevant multi-thread posting.

The copy of such data, when posted in an aptly named thread in the tech section, allows more people to find the information, as opposed to trawling through pages of often useless members ride posts.

So, the spirit of the rule was to put an end to useless multi-thread ramblings, not to eliminate good tech data which we can all share.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TC1600's Avatar

One thing i've just noticed is you can give rep in this section, in other words you can't add to someone's rep for restoring or modifying a car that may be of significance to the wider Toyota community (but not necessarily enough to warrant a tech thread), but you can rep for someone pointing out the "save edit" button reads "vote now" (just for example)?

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Good point, + rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC1600 View Post
    but you can rep for someone pointing out the "save edit" button reads "vote now" (just for example)?
    but.. why would you?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TC1600's Avatar

I wouldn't but it's just an example. Got anything more constructive?

Hi,

Because we found that there were too many buddy rep points being given for non-technical aspects within those threads. Sure, there's a lot of great info in them, but also a lot of crap, and people were giving rep points for the crap and not the tech. So, it was deemed necessary to remove rep from the member's rides threads.

seeyuzz
    river