Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rep in the forum members rides section

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Default Re: Rep in the forum members rides section

If only the search function was a bit more kick-arse then it wouldn't matter where people put good info.

Obviously people would need to put some effort into the text though so it showed up in a search.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_2jza70 View Post
    The doubling up doesnt worry you? Id feel a bit stupid updating my rides thread as well as writing a whole separate thread in another section. Would feel like a bit of a desperate grasp at getting some attention to me.
    you think everyone reads your ride thread, hoping you will drop a bit of wisdom?

think of it as contributing to the tech base of toymods by putting it in the tech section..

then again, if you don't think you have posted anything worthy of sharing outside your ride thread... thats ok too

better search = teh google site search, assuming it trawls regularly (can it search through club member only sections?), but better titles and use of keywords would also help searches
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Yeah, I guess I kind of agree.. seeing as the rep is now purely meant to be tech related..

Makes sense, from the appreciation of technical contributions over ownership of a certain vehicle standpoint..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

I am well aware that people read my rides threads for masturbation material, not technical advice.

I wasnt really talking about my rep though, it just seems strange to me that I can +rep someone for posting a link to a parts supplier in a 'general chat thread' but I cant for thinking the work theyve done on their car is awesome.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

i guess it is the difference between:-
    "hey, my car is awesome"
    and
    "hey, my car is awesome... and this is how i did it"
    ?
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    you think everyone reads your ride thread, hoping you will drop a bit of wisdom?

think of it as contributing to the tech base of toymods by putting it in the tech section..

then again, if you don't think you have posted anything worthy of sharing outside your ride thread... thats ok too

better search = teh google site search, assuming it trawls regularly (can it search through club member only sections?), but better titles and use of keywords would also help searches
    The problem is that the fabrication which applies to all cars (C/P/H brake upgrade thread is a good example) needs to be in Technical, but the fabrication which applies to only one specific car, such as Jeffros RA28 firewall mod or VA61DETTs MA61, shouldnt be in Technical, but is still rep worthy.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

the last rep I got was for a random post in the Lexus LFA thread.. obviously not technical..

so if the current system can still be used for repping 'anything' posts in the general section I find it a bit weird that you can't be repped for posts in your ride thread..

then again obviously the system was changed to improve things - and maybe we've found the first 'quirk' of the new setup if you will? in terms of how we dish out rep.

maybe a "report post as technical" button would solve this problem

post is reported as technical, gets approved and the rep button appears on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    i guess it is the difference between:-
    "hey, my car is awesome"
    and
    "hey, my car is awesome... and this is how i did it"
    ?
    Yeah 100%, but Im yet to see a rides thread where someone posts a pic of their car without explaining anything. Typically, from the point a rides thread is started its kept fairly well updated with whats happening. I prefer it to a brief final write up in the tech section as you can see every little complication along the way and a timeline of how long the work took, as well as suggestions from other people on alternative ways of doing things.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13 View Post
    the last rep I got was for a random post in the Lexus LFA thread.. obviously not technical..
    no-one was accusing you of earning rep from technical posts

as with everything, the system can work as long as no-one abuses it.
    people abused the system, so restrictions were put in place. while they may not be the best solution, where do you draw the line? (same goes for all the speeding/P-plate restrictiosn etc etc )

perhaps it can be suggested as a topic for next board meeting?

Yeah sounds good.

I realise there would have been significant discussion on the topic back when the decision was made, I was curious to hear what the reason might have been, as Im sure the board members have their reasons for the way things went.

One of the other problems with technical info in the general section is that 99% of it is hidden with the chat threads of that particular model. While I'll have a bit of a read through some rides threads on various interesting looking AW11s/MZ20s/AE86s/etc, theres no way Im going to read though the 10 million page chat thread on a model car I dont own, or even read through the whole on a model that I do own!

At a glance, it does appear to me that having the rep system in the rides section would be far more useful than in the general section.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 01-02-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

I have raised it as a discussion point in the agenda of one of the next meetings. May not happen at the next one given that its the AGM as well.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Cheers 10char

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Yes, we spoke long about the rep system in the meeting a few months ago, when we decided to remove rep from most sections. Actually, rep was going to be removed from the General Car section, which would of left only the Tech Section with rep.

However, it was decided the Gen Car (GC) area also held good information relating to vehicles and therefore rep was allowed in there.

The reason the members ride (MR) area was excluded from rep is because it was the one major area that was full of buddy rep.

Hey, look at the new chrome zorst extension I got
    Wow.. +rep

And it was rife in the members rides.

Also, as mentioned, there are a million members rides and no one is going to look into everyone of them and therefore leaves plenty of scope (more so than GC threads) for buddy rep.

However, it will be discussed again.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

I would hope that the amount of -ve rep people get for chrome zorst extensions would far outweigh any +ve buddy rep they get. Especially if they use the word 'zorst'.

Just thinking about this some more, is it possible to add a little note about "The reputation system is to be used for technical information only. You may be penalised for giving rep inappropriately" or something similar that is written in the give rep dialog box thingy?

That might remind people to stay honest in all sections.