Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatar wont work

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Avatar wont work

Thankyou for the clarification
    Karma can only be portioned out by the cosmos

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

So I've just found out and read about this priveleged user malarky...
    Apparently me posting up a 5kb avatar pic is something I need to 'earn'? Seriously fellas, aren't we being a little petty here? Even for a financial member?
    I'm a little perplexed as to how I'm supposed to pass these conditions too, I mean, I'm a n00b, I dont see how I'm ever gonna get 100 posts in the tech forum besides me asking questions. That many questions is going to take a long time! That's really me only taking in knowledge - I dont have enough to give back so how am I supposed to get rep? Random acts of Toyota kindness? I graciously let a Corolla turn into my lane from a side street on Parramatta rd during peak hour the other day - does that count? Doesn't owning an RA28 automatically boost my rep to maximum?!

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

exactly, there is no way for a person to make 100 posts in the tech section who is completly new to toyotas,unless he's been a member since the forum opened, and spams now and then. I knew absolutely nothing about toyotas or even celicas. I knew the basics of the engine but that was it.

The only posts that come up know are for people who know a sh!tload about toyotas, and there is never anyone that comes on and asks,

''whats the thing that sucks in air on a 2t?''

And say that i answer that question, he he replys "oh great thanks know i know", i still have no chance of even getting +rep, cos thats the last thing on everyones mind, i now see people asking for rep rather then actually getting it.

I think the rules should change, not be taken down, but eased up.

Cheers, Callum

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic dangdang's Avatar

I bought my first Toyota in Feb this year, joined this forum in May of this year and cracked 100 posts today, most of my posts are in the tech sections. It can be done.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Yes it can be done.

Some of you princesses, who got sand in your vaginas, should dry your eyes and get on with life. Having an av is hardly the crowning achievment of these forums.

I do like the irony of "being petty" when, in these forums which are mostly targeted for tech information, we seem to be concerned about an avatar?

And, anyone who asks for rep usually gets the opposite.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

I'm sure it says tech AND general so it just partaking in the dedicated threads with questions for your own car or encouragement for others would very quickly get you to 100 posts. Or pay membership and you can have one straight away.

Callum

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by egamirrorim View Post
    So I've just found out and read about this priveleged user malarky...
    Apparently me posting up a 5kb avatar pic is something I need to 'earn'? Seriously fellas, aren't we being a little petty here? Even for a financial member?
    I'm a little perplexed as to how I'm supposed to pass these conditions too, I mean, I'm a n00b, I dont see how I'm ever gonna get 100 posts in the tech forum besides me asking questions. That many questions is going to take a long time! That's really me only taking in knowledge - I dont have enough to give back so how am I supposed to get rep? Random acts of Toyota kindness? I graciously let a Corolla turn into my lane from a side street on Parramatta rd during peak hour the other day - does that count? Doesn't owning an RA28 automatically boost my rep to maximum?!
    why do you need an avatar anyway? seriously?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

80's stylin Domestic Engineer Sammich's Avatar

i noticed callums post was deleted, i assume club members dont automatically get avatars? (i recently became a club member and its not working )

im not fussed, just curious

/edit

not deleted...i just didnt click refresh. doh, noob
    MA61 + 5M-E POWAZ: sold :'( | MX73 + 5M-GE: asploded. RIP :'( | MA61 + 2JZ-GE: 80's radness with 90's power/reliability/economy
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    these wheels are so jap I even want to kill a whale. For strictly scientifical purpose, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    ...Some of you princesses, who got sand in your vaginas, should dry your eyes and get on with life. Having an av is hardly the crowning achievment of these forums.

I do like the irony of "being petty" when, in these forums which are mostly targeted for tech information, we seem to be concerned about an avatar?...
    Deflect and deride all you like, Riv, it doesn't change the lameness of the policy - it reminds me of when I was 12 and playing Role-Playing video games: "earn 50 experience points to level up your character and equip user designed armour!" Where is the forum's general store so I can go upgrade my socket set and get +5 nut turning ability?
    Dont get me wrong, I am by no means upset, when I realised my avatar didn't work I did a quick search and found this thread explaining why, I actually found it laughable enough that it warranted a comment...

Quote Originally Posted by WDE_BDY View Post
    ...Or pay membership and you can have one straight away...
    I am a financial member...

Hi,

Point taken, but unlike a game this is an active forum whose main focus is on technical matters. The old forums were rife with stupid posts and people taking advantage of the forums to peddle crap and carry on like dunderclumps, with no desire to add any value.

As such, when the forums were upgraded back in 2005, the decision was made to make people earn themselves the ability to have an avatar (which is a nicety but not necessary to actively partake in these forums), as well as put something back into the more technical areas of the forums before gaining enough reputation to be able to use the classifieds section.

While you think the policy is lame, we have found it to be useful in reducing the wookies and the rip-off merchants. It makes the technical areas of the forums more robust with the BS factor being greatly reduced.

As you are now a Club member I will look into why you don't have the ability to have an avatar. Also, being a Club member, where your money goes into running the Club and these forums, maybe you will see it from a different perspective and be satisfied that such "lame" policies are put in place to keep your/our forums free from too many boofheads and trouble-makers.

seeyuzz
    river

...As such, when the forums were upgraded back in 2005, the decision was made to make people earn themselves the ability to have an avatar (which is a nicety but not necessary to actively partake in these forums), as well as put something back into the more technical areas of the forums before gaining enough reputation to be able to use the classifieds section.

While you think the policy is lame, we have found it to be useful in reducing the wookies and the rip-off merchants. It makes the technical areas of the forums more robust with the BS factor being greatly reduced...
    I understand that the real 'priviledge' is using the calssifieds section, using an avatar is just something else to add in there.
    If I lived in another state, like ctrain the thread author, I probably wouldn't be a financial member and would have to meet the 'priviledged' user conditions. Getting enough posts would be done but it would take a long time, but getting rep on the other hand would be difficult for a n00b like myself or ctrain because we have nothing of 'any value' to add to the forum. The odd person might give rep for encouragement but they seem to be few and far between, the only other way I can see to get rep would be from a successful transaction of parts (I gave away an 18RC and still got no rep!), but of course, you cant use the calssifieds section! It's circular logic... Not one of the 4 board member/mods that have posted since ctrain pointed this out has commented on it either...

The policy may well indeed catch out douchebags but they still slip through the cracks and are able to burn people. I got ripped off through a sale organised on here (I simply attribute that to 'trading on the internet' so am not bitter about it) so it doesn't do that great a job of achieving it's objective anyway.
    Ultimately, the point I'm making is that the policy seems to hinder more good users than it does prevent idiots, therefore it seems fundamentally flawed.
    As you are now a Club member I will look into why you don't have the ability to have an avatar. Also, being a Club member, where your money goes into running the Club and these forums, maybe you will see it from a different perspective and be satisfied that such "lame" policies are put in place to keep your/our forums free from too many boofheads and trouble-makers.

seeyuzz
    river
    Thanks for looking into it Riv but I'm not really concerned with it, although posting threads in the classifieds would be a help though. It's good that the forum puts effort into stopping idiots but, like most 'governing laws/rules', its mostly only a good idea in theory...

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by egamirrorim View Post
    It's good that the forum puts effort into stopping idiots but, like most 'governing laws/rules', its mostly only a good idea in theory...
    Unfortunately, like most laws, they are there to thwart the unruly, but, as reality shows, it is the civilised majority who do the right thing that also get affected.

If there was a magic wand to fix it I'd use it. Alas, I do not possess such a device.

As far as rep goes... we encourage people to give it moreso than to take it. We prefer the infractions system to be the stick and the rep system the carrot. We cannot control how often, and for what reasons, people give rep. But I wish people used it more often, especially for new and lower rep users who struggle to input tech information.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia eeeyan's Avatar

It took me 12 months of asking and answering question i needed knowledge on or had knowledge to provide the latter being far less frequent and i only just got my avatar.

I think its time for a prescription of concrete so the "noobs" can harden up stick around get to know the people, their cars make some friends and yes "earn" your avatar so to speak.

You will be surprised some of the questions that pop up in the tech section that you can answer.

Patience padawan's you arent Jedi's yet

(hell i'm still a noob compared to alot of guys knowledge)
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eeeyan View Post
    (hell i'm still a noob compared to alot of guys knowledge)

You and me both, Dickface.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

80's stylin Domestic Engineer Sammich's Avatar

FYI just tried this out again seeing as financial members are supposedly allowed avatars

tried uploading directly from photobucket: wouldnt work, get the "write to temporary file" error
    downloaded pic and saved to pc, then uploaded from there and worked fine.

maybe someone needs to check the code behind the direct link avatar thingy? (option 1 under custom avatar)
    MA61 + 5M-E POWAZ: sold :'( | MX73 + 5M-GE: asploded. RIP :'( | MA61 + 2JZ-GE: 80's radness with 90's power/reliability/economy
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    these wheels are so jap I even want to kill a whale. For strictly scientifical purpose, of course.