Thread: Coolant Loss

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Default Coolant Loss

1st up, apologies as this is about my RB20 powered Silvia .

This thing has been loosing coolant from somewhere for awhile now. I couldn't see it dripping anywhere, but could smell it. I tried typical radiator stop leak, but loss has persisted.

The other day I spent over half an our bleeding the coolant system.
    Heater tap open, and I added some pipe to a radiator cap so I could make the fill point the highest point. It took over half an hour of fast idling for all of the air to bubble out.

Went for a highway drive (about 50ks) this morning. No signs of overheating. I got home and popped the bonnet to check the overflow/expansion tank level.
    It then proceeded to leak most of the coolant onto my driveway from somewhere under the inlet manifold.

Let the thing cool down, put the front up in the air and filled it with about 2.5-3 liters of water. Not a single drop of leakage. Ran the engine to try and bleed air (bugger all came out). Put the radiator cap back on to make sure it built correct pressure. Nothing.

How can it have such a large leak 1 minute and nothing half an our later?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic DrNick's Avatar

Default Re: Coolant Loss

Well theres a lot more pressure when its hot - and it gets super hot immediately after a drive as there is all the heatsoak from the engine but no coolant circulation. This is why you often hear coolant boiling in a vehicle after it has been shut down even if it was fine while the engine was running.
    If you are having trouble locating the leak when its hot then put a pressure tester on the radiator when cold and bump up the pressure in the system until it starts leaking. That way you can safely get under it and search for the leaky pipe with no risk of getting burned.

Start with the usual things though like thermostat and making sure that your radiator cap is fine (as a faulty one can let the pressure get very high and spring leaks all over the place)

Cheers, but it still seems very strange that it can have such a big leak and then once it's cooled down that leak magically seals itself.

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic DrNick's Avatar

Not really, I've seen the exact same thing happen before and pressurising the system is the only way I could locate the leaks successfully.

I've also seen a blocked radiator cause random leaks after the car is shutdown. With the radiator so blocked up there was nowhere for the heat to dissipate even though it didnt overheat with the engine running and pumping coolant around.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

It will be your water pump.

Usually leaks when running and stops when engine is turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by pro_k View Post
    It will be your water pump.

Usually leaks when running and stops when engine is turned off.
    Water pump has been replaced.

Junior Member Grease Monkey 81hilux09's Avatar

i have a stagea with a rb25. had to get the top tank on the radiator changed as it had a big crack under the cap on the engine side and was leaking ever so slowly but enough for me to notice one day when i checked it.. didn't really look like it was leaking from anywhere but yeah didnt even notice the crack until i took it to the radiator place..

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

There is a hose under the inlet in the rb20's that commonly goes. Whole inlet has to come off, but can replace the hose fairly easily. Had to do it once on my old r32

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    There is a hose under the inlet in the rb20's that commonly goes. Whole inlet has to come off, but can replace the hose fairly easily. Had to do it once on my old r32
    You can keep that shit to yourself .
    Cheers tho, I figured it could be that hose except it still holding coolant. For such a big leak, I'm still amazed that it has magically sealed itself up.