Thread: AW11 turbo parts questions

Forum Member

Default AW11 turbo parts questions

Hey guys! Ive been on the forums for a year or so now, i'm more an observer than anything that is why i havn't posted anything yet. However there is only so much i can find and amount of info on here until the point where i have to start asking questions!

Sooo my main question is has anyone with the AW11 ever used the Turbo Manifold for the 4age that is for sale on Ebay? i've looked at it a few times and i've just asked the seller the same question but for some reason i'm not sure if they will know much as they are most likely just a seller not the manufacturer.
    My question is to anyone out there with one is does it actually fit? as in does it clear the firewall with the turbo bolted on and how tight a fit was it with the dump-pipe? I realise the guys from a company in the US build a manifold and dump-pipe but to be honest i don't have the money for it(as pretty much most of us here don't).
    I am looking to slowly build up parts to turbocharge the engine and i have a list i've made and i''l just put it up here so i can hear you opinions on it and give me additions or advice of what i would need to add for a good realiable set-up. I'm looking in the region of 250-300hp at the crank. Obviously i would be upgrading suspension and brakes but that won't be a problem.
    Anyway this is the list

-Turbo(dunno which one yet)
    -turbo manifold
    -turbo dump-pipe/exhaust system
    -cams 255/277 degrees round about
    -gze pistons if i dont get the supercharged engine to start the build on
    -ARP head studs
    -ACL race series bearings (complete for crank and conrod/pistons)
    -piping for intercooler to manifold and turbo to intercooler
    -intercooler(not sure which to go for just yet i was thinking the pwr water/air with its own cooling system(electric water pump, holding tank etc to keep fluid circulating however i think it might become too heavy)
    -or air/air intercooler mounted on top like the supercharger or in the boot(id like to hear any guys opinion on the two options and if you've done one for the boot what did you do to get air circulation?
    -billion push or pull type fan, not sure which one yet to get a bit more airflow to the intercooler as we obviously struggle for decent airflow on the AW11
    -larger fuel injectors with higher flowing fuel pump
    -stiffer valve springs, not sure who to go with yet.
    -adjustable cam gears
    -belt for camgears
    -i was thinking Microtech LT10 ECU, not sure if thats the model name off the top of my head
    -heavy duty clutch
    -LSD
    -umm i probably have forgotten a few things but the main aim was to get advice and experiences etc.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Forum Member

Default Re: AW11 turbo parts questions

Can't touch this Backyard Mechanic boona's Avatar

I have looked at this one before. I measured the distance in the photo between the end-studs on the head flange, and then measured the distance from the head flange to furtherest point perpendicular to the flange. I then measured the actual distance between the end studs on my motor, and so was able to calculate the width of this manifold. I don't remember the numbers, but I think I decided it would fit.

My bro suggested that it was shit and I was better off using the manifold I got with my motor. Plus that one has an external wastegate. I don't need one of those.

As for the dump pipe I have no idea - I am about to cross that bridge...
    1987 AW11 MR2
    AE92 4AGZE, S15 T28, Adaptronic E420C build in progress
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53945
    Professional: www.danswell.org

Forum Member

sweet, thanks man, im inclined to think like your brother but if no one actually has one i might just have to dive in and get one. i also am not looking for external wastgate but i would proly cut and plate it off