Thread: 18RC upper cam-chain tensioner spring length?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default 18RC upper cam-chain tensioner spring length?

hi folks,

i found this noise source - the spring that should hold the upper cam chain is missing a few bits. It doesn't hold the tensioner anywhere near the chain when the motor is not running, and when running it bounces against the chain.

Does anyone know how long that spring should be? and anyone in brisban happen to have a dead 18R with the tensioner intact?

The various bits that make up the tensioner (is spring-loaded and then oil pressure pushes the piston further out:

This is the tensioner with the piston sitting on the spring:

And this is probably where the thing should be:

Is the dumbest and cheapest thing to be a show-stopper ;-(

Upon close inspection, the spring has broken at some point (scoring quite visible on the tensioner. Am hoping all the bits that eventually worked their way out to the engine are in the sump.

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Default Re: 18RC upper cam-chain tensioner spring length?

I just pulled one off one of the junker 18RC's I've got in the shed, and the spring from the top tensioner measured around 70mm uncompressed, so it looks like you're missing a bit!

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if any of the tensioners in these motors are in a decent condition, let me know if you're after one and I'll put up some photos. The spring I just pulled out is full length but is a bit wonky in the middle, I've got another two 18R's I can have a look at tomorrow though.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

i thought it was a bit on the short side

I work in the city so the next opportunity i have to go visiting parts suppliers is wednesday (somehow, i dont think that kind of spring is going to be available from mitre10 in the city)

If you have an unwanted spring i'd be interested - can swap for beer or cigarettes?

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Just grabbed one out of another engine, looks like its in good condition. Wednesday I'm at uni at QUT Kelvin Grove, so if that's easy for you I'll be there most of the day, you'd be able to swing around and pick it up from me. Otherwise I live on the southside if that's easier. send me a PM and we can sort something out.