Thread: Race motor advice - 1600 8v

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Race motor advice - 1600 8v

We used to race a 2T in std class. Now we have moved to a modified class. We have to choose / select a suitable 1600 8v motor. Methanol, 40 sidies, (FI later), electronic ignition, electric water pump, vacuum pump, lightweight flywheel, button clutch, 16:1 CR, most engineering work / modifications possible. Tubular frame, glass fibre body, +- 850 kg incl driver, RWD locked axle 3.9:1, W58 gearbox (we run 2nd gear - short straight). Race Rev range 3500/ 4000 - 7500/ 8000 RPM
    Would an 8v version of the 4AGE be an option worth following? ie a heavily modified 4AC head with a serious cam on a 4AGE (20V be best?) block.

Or would a heavily modified 2T long rod motor be a better bet.

Your advice / comments / recommendations / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by sneaky pete; 30-03-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Race motor advice - 1600 8v

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky pete View Post
    We used to race a 2T in std class. Now we have moved to a modified class. We have to choose / select a suitable 1600 8v motor. Methanol, 40 sidies, (FI later), electronic ignition, electric water pump, vacuum pump, lightweight flywheel, button clutch, 16:1 CR, most engineering work / modifications possible. Tubular frame, glass fibre body, +- 850 kg incl driver, RWD locked axle 3.9:1, W58 gearbox (we run 2nd gear - short straight). Race Rev range 3500/ 4000 - 7500/ 8000 RPM
    Would an 8v version of the 4AGE be an option worth following? ie a heavily modified 4AC head with a serious cam on a 4AGE (20V be best?) block.

Or would a heavily modified 2T long rod motor be a better bet.

Your advice / comments / recommendations / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi. Don't know if a, without major modification, 4ac head will fit 4ag block.
    Best bet is build, as you said, a long rod 2t or if available long rod 2tg. The 2tg has a better flowing head from factory and gives advantage of adjusting cam timing individually to obtain best peak power where you require.
    If you build another long rod 2t/2tg would be good if you put a build thread here, has been commented on here before but not much actual information of parts used etc. Since shorter deck height pistons etc would be needed.
    Last edited by ToyTA22; 30-03-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks for the reply. Asked a similar question in a post a while back. Was hoping for some fresh ideas. 4AGE's are very popular here, inexpensive and go like stink, thus my interest. Yes a 4a SOHC 8V evidently does fit on a 4AGE. Some people have done it the other way round too (4AGE head on a 4A block). It is not a popular head though and I have no personal experience with it - thus my post. I believe this will be the limiting factor of the engine, so getting the head ported correctly would be paramount. Hoping to get some more comments / experience on the 4A head here.

On the 2T topic, we have a relatively inexpensive "recipe" for modifying a 2T. With high import duties and poor exchange rates we have to look at other available options. We also have a lot of 2T engine spares. The 2T is a heavy engine though, evidently about 17 kgs heavier. If the 4A/4AGE combo is going to be better, then thats the way we gotta go!
    The 2TG's are just too scarce / collectors items here. Been looking for one for years to put in a road car.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I'm just quoting stuff I've read from the internet here, but apparently the 4AC head design is pretty bad. Non-crossflow and with very average ports. I'm not sure how much could be fixed up, but it sounds like it would be a big job.

What about a Datsun motor, L16 I think? They were popular in the rally scene here in Australia and there is huge support for them.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hen View Post
    I'm just quoting stuff I've read from the internet here, but apparently the 4AC head design is pretty bad. Non-crossflow and with very average ports. I'm not sure how much could be fixed up, but it sounds like it would be a big job.

What about a Datsun motor, L16 I think? They were popular in the rally scene here in Australia and there is huge support for them.
    Thanks for the comment. I used to race an L16 - now its my son that is racing. At this stage we are exploring all the options. We thought of 4AGE components / bottom end because the parts are readily available, they are lighter in comparison to 2T and L16 etc, plus they are able to rev in std form. Rules - no special race pistons std rods!! So 4AGE pistons are pretty light and strong rods are good. Squish with 4AC head and 4AEG piston looks good -have to pocket pistons though. 16:1 CR.

re the head - yes exactly our concern. We can get the head flowed. Are we flogging a dead horse? I am not sure. Evidently you get a fuel injected 4AC head called a 4A EL I think. Any one know the biggest valves one can go with a heavy cam. We will be running in the 4000 - 8500 RPM range so cam will have to be rather high on overlap (ie) if possible.

Thanks gents. I will post as and when we start putting it together. At this stage we are busy with suspension etc while we decide on the engine.

Just thinking and commenting further, the weight factor is very important to us (actual weight of the engine plus then the rotating assembly). Looking at the 4AGE motor compared to a 2T or an L16 I think the 4AGE has a considerable weight advantage (sort of power to weight ratio? - the vehicle plus driver weighs about 850 kg) and then there is the rotating assembly (crank, connecting rods, pistons, etc) weight, which with the older engines would need a lot of "weight shedding" to rev decent, whereas the 4AGE as far as I understand is virtually "race ready" in std form. To keep cost down the rules exclude special racing parts (race forged pistons etc) so one has to select the engine combo according to the rules that has the best to offer. If any one thinks I am not correct in my line of thought here (4AC head + 4AGE block) please comment / correct me. This is going to be a helleva lot of trouble and expense and we must get it right.

Have you got a link to the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by 101gze View Post
    Have you got a link to the rules?
    Here they are: http://www.womzasa.co.za/files/2017-...1660-RULES.pdf