Thread: crank and bearings ques.

ditty man Grease Monkey

Default crank and bearings ques.

i spun a bearing and i have just brought a second hand crank from the wreckers in QLD for my gze. they pulled it out of a parts 4agze motor thye had there and said that its in good condition and that it wont need to be machined and it up to size. so im gettting some new bearings but i would of thought that because i am getting smooth new bearings that there would be a like groove in the crank from the old bearings.. just like the caps off your cam shafts or the tops off your valves when they hit the cam lobe. or can i just measure the size of the crank and get bearings and slap em in.. i thought it would need to be machined for the new bearings?

ta

dan.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: crank and bearings ques.

you can get the crank linished so that the surfaces are nice and smooth. while the machine shop is doing that, they can measure the journals to check they are in spec. If so then you can get a set of new bearings in std size and fit them.

Note- my GZE spun a bearing and i had to get the crank machined, the bolck tunnel bored with 10thou oversize bearings. cos a bit, but at least i know its all tip top.

ypu may want to do this just to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Yeah just linish 'em up
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

ditty man Grease Monkey

my crank that i spun a bearing on was 30 thou down on cyl 1 ROFL

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

linishing is designed to return the surface finish and remove negligible amounts of metal, less than 0.001" normally. Linishing much more off a 4A crank is bad news as the bearing clearance get too big. They already have oiling problems and sloppy clearnaces dont help that. Your machine shop will advise you

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Yeah, if you've got the engine apart, do all the bearings (new) get the crank reground and balanced, and put some good bolts in it. If you've spun a bearing, I can't see how you wouldn't have damaged the crank, and likely the rod as well.

RM.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

for what its worth get the crank linished ! at least you will be able to sleep at night knowing that everything is sweet!

Make sure you plastigauge the bearing clearences then after that lube up the crank and do a dummy fit, tensioning all caps. Then check that the crank spins freely.
    This will give a good indication if the crank is true or not.

This is a MUST when changing cranks to different blocks as the crush can often be different. (although 4ags are generally sweet)

P.S what wreckers is it ? can you post their name an phone no. Im after a spare block with oil squirters.

ditty man Grease Monkey

rolin imports - http://www.japparts.com.au/ i dealt with andrew..

just another ques in regards to a machine shop (sweeting and denney in belmont). I have taken a block to get the top faced, honed to 20 thou and cleaned (dip in acid) along with my cam covers as well as geting my crank linished. they havent given me a price yet. i have asked them but they said they will work something out but that doesnt really tell me much. what would something like this normally cost? is it expensive? they are also re-conditioning my head as well (me supplying seals) my concern is that i have 1600 left and i still need to get a clutch yet and not sure if im going to have enough.. well actually im shitting myself im not going to have enough. i got no idea what these things cost

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

if you are getting the block bored (not honed) 20 thou over, then you will be needing new pistons. if they are just honing the bores then you can get away with using standard pistons, but as you have stated, they are going 20thou over, so you cant use the same pistons.
    have you thought of the price of those? then you will be needing new rings......
    have you bought new bearings yet?
    bought all the gaskets and seals for rebuilding engine?

rebuilding the engine has a lot more costs than just the machine work.
    i can tell you that to build my engine and get a clutch cost me over $2000, its a 4agze too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Slide 86 is on the money with that one!!! I would call them and quiz them a bit more about the honing or boreing 20 thou?????? andif you need new pistons??

ask for an idea of price.tell em you need a rough idea cos you have other stuff to buy !!! if they still cant come up with one then tell thats BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cos any other engine shop would be able to give atleast a rough price.

ditty man Grease Monkey

new oversize pistons and rings have been ordered yesterday along with a FULL gasket set, oil pump, water pump, and a set of TRD Race main and bigend Bearings and thrust washers and head bolts + a nevo pulley kit. so far its cost me $2730 including a new crank and connecting rod for cyl 1

so yeh 30psi im not needing those pistons now
    Last edited by AE101LEV; 12-04-2006 at 09:30 AM.

They are the ones with the ceramic coated crowns can you p.m me with pics.?

ditty man Grease Monkey

yep there the ones.. yeh i sent u a PM so when i get home il take a pic of em which will be in a hour or two

ta