Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wheels are these?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default What wheels are these?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know what car my wheels are off of? They were on the car when I bought it and I wouldn't mind getting a few as stogies. I know falcon rims fit but I dont like the idea that the cars weight sits only on the wheel studs as the hub sizes are different (I think).

Cheers, Daniel.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: What wheels are these?

not sure but they look awesome. Id be keen to have those too

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

What size are they? They look a little like the 16" stockies off a JZZ30 Soarer...

Edit: Actually, on second look maybe they're not Soarer wheels (those don't have as much of a lip). If they are actually factory wheels, I'm feeling mid 2000's Camry or Corolla maybe? Does it have 'TOYOTA' cast into the back of any of the spokes?
    Last edited by AndyTTR; 23-12-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic DrNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1jzDan View Post
    I know falcon rims fit but I dont like the idea that the cars weight sits only on the wheel studs as the hub sizes are different (I think).
    You can get hub centric rings so that the wheel centers properly if your hubs are smaller than the ID of the wheel. Cost about $20 a set.

Oh nice, I didnt know about the rings - any idea where to get them as no doubt I'll have to order in from the mainland anyhow.

I heard they were off an Audi but I'm not sure. The centre caps dont fit all that well so there is a good chance its not a Toyota wheel..

Oh and they are 17's - will check for markings tomorrow.
    Last edited by 1jzDan; 24-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

Why worry about the hub rings as the wheel nuts are what centres your wheel if they are the right wheel nuts unless the lug holes are flogged out.If you look at old school mags the centre is normally bigger than what the hub is anyway.As to the wheels like what was said in an earlier post check to see if there is any thing stamped on the rim itself if not I would say they are aftermarket,as most car manufacturers normally put there stamp on there rims.
    Cheers Brett.

Actually, they are very important. The hub spigot plays an important role in the load transfer between the wheel and hub on newer cars. The previous owner of my Supra had issues with a vibration that would only be apparent at about 90km/h (felt like all four wheels were badly out of balance). He also had problems repeatedly snapping wheel studs. Turned out that the wheels he was running weren't hub-centric, and fitting the aforementioned rings fixed both issues.

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

They look a bit like the stocko's of a certain stegea model. Not exactly the same, but might pay to have a look at some of them to see if they match up.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

actually they're a fair bit different...

Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

All good, Ive sussed it out. I'm pretty sure they are a Audi 17*8 "Bolero" rim, but with 112mm PCD :S

At $1400 a set new(from what I can find) and almost impossible to get second hand, I think I'll find something else to use for burnout rims ha.

I'm about to go to where my car is a check out what the rim says just to make sure.

cheers for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTTR View Post
    Actually, they are very important.
    actually, no theyre not. well not if your cars not fucked.

theyre a wheel installation assist to help ensure lugs are located properly before torquing when you mount the wheel. kindve unnecessary if you have a clue, and have cone nuts anyway. if youre breaking studs, theres a problem elsewhere

during driving ALL load should go through the hub face and/or the studs. nothing goes through the central shoulder. ever wonder why some hub rings are made of plastic?
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I've had wheels with and without hub centric spacers. Neither setup felt any different. There are different types of hub rings though, some alloy while others are plastic, the majority of ones supplied from wheel shops are plastic.

The main concept of a hub centre though is mainly for alignment, if done up correctly there should be no reason why the wheel studs alone could not support the weight.

I read somewhere that hub rings were not actually legal, I know that hub spacers (the metal disc ones) were illegal but I heard something about hub rings too.
    ZZT-231 Toyota Celica SX

Quote Originally Posted by ed_jza80 View Post
    actually, no theyre not. well not if your cars not fucked.

theyre a wheel installation assist...
    I may have been misinformed in regards to it being a load bearing part of the assembly, but they're still important. Cheap insurance if nothing else.

The wheels the guy was running had those thin shoulder nuts you sometimes see on japanese aftermarket wheels (AVS Model 5's). I guess that the combo of them not having a tapered seat, and the wheel not being hubcentric together was what caused the problem.

Either way, $30 worth of plastic rings fixed it. I'll use them on every set of aftermarket wheels I own seeing as I "don't have a clue".

Junior Member Too Much Toyota GUN METAL's Avatar

I have seen those wheels on a truck load of audis,

As for the spigot / hub locating bla bla bla i would highly recomend them.

i dont know about all cars / wheels but every toyota i have owned and just about every other car i can think of has the spigot.

with factory Toyota wheels (well all the alloy ones i have had) locate the wheel on the spigot and the wheel nuts have a shoulder on them NOT like every single aftermarket wheel that requires tapered wheel nuts to locate the wheel. at best they are a dodgy idea as they very rerely centrally locate the wheel, especially afte r they wear a bit. some cars are very prone to run out in the the front particularly, The AW11 is a classic example, i am sure there are others

For sake of insurace for a small $$$$ get some alloy locating rings at least and have the peice of mind.
    MY BELOVED AW11...Updated members ride thread>>>>http://www.toymods.net//forums/showt...=4584#post4584

AW11s always welcome in my driveway !

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

The Wheel on the Hub locating is important, as has been mentioned you can get them in plastic, but its aftermarket & certainly not Factory fitment & not really good either, as they are just for really locating when fitting the wheel in my opinion ...

Have you ever wondered why All Factory fitted wheels to cars have snug fitting Wheels onto the Hubs Centre & the same PCD size wheel of another Brand car will have different size centre hub holes in them .. ( if it was not important it would be a lot cheaper & easier for the Manufacturer to just have a general size wheel centre hole, as they will cut costs if they can ) ...

The studs etc obviously do a major job but its the shock, longtitudinal loading of the wheel for example hitting a pot hole etc that is of importance for the Wheel to fit snugly onto the Hub so as not to Stress / Flex the Wheel studs ..

We have all driven on cars that have the wrong size wheel hub hole on them, but given the choice i know which one i would prefer to have ..