Thread: aw11 4age - 4agze conversion question.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default aw11 4age - 4agze conversion question.

I am looking at converting my N/A adub to a 4agze as i have come across a very cheap halfcut. the only problem is its got an auto gearbox.
    I have a e51 gearbox floating around so the only problem now is sourcing some shafts, and from what ive been told getting some is somewhat of a nightmare.

Here comes my question. I have the outer hub and the tulip part that slots into the e51 gearbox. And i was wondering if the 'shaft' part from a 91 mr2 sw20 Turbo is a direct fit(hope that makes sense). Visually they look very similar (a mate has sent me a photo of a spare one he has) or is it slightly longer or shorter? I have found bits of information on the next talking about making Frankenstein shafts out of aw11 and sw20 parts but they fail to explain what parts they used.

peace. sleepyu.

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Default Re: aw11 4age - 4agze conversion question.

i'ld be tempted to see what the difference is between the e51 and the auto box shafts. i have a s/c auto and the shafts do visibly look the same as my e51 shafts.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: aw11 4age - 4agze conversion question.

In reading this guide about an auto to manual conversion (http://western.net.nz/wheels/mr2/doc...uto2manual.htm) it states that the

drive shafts on the automatic transmission have a smaller constant velocity joint hub and the bolt pattern of the hub won't fit the manual transmission

but what your saying is cause im using the 'shafts' not the cv joints i might be able to do a bit of mixing and matching.