Thread: rn40 hilux engine and gearbox questions

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default rn40 hilux engine and gearbox questions

Sometimes fun being the family's amateur mechanic, but my brother's really done it to me this time.

He's bought an RN40 1983 hilux ute, 12R motor, Four speed column shift, Bench seat.

He wants it to become 18R, 4/5 speed floor shift, bucket seats - on top of various body repairs needed.

I've searched old and new forums for info, and got conflicting information. Do 18R motors ave the same engine mount setup on the block as the 12R? Are the floor shift and column shift g'boxes the same, apart from linkages, or are they completely different boxes? Is it possible to bolt an 18R into it with the current box, or would I be best off getting a donor r series celica or corona for engine/box combo?

any info would be greatly apreciated...

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Default Re: rn40 hilux engine and gearbox questions

id imagine the 12R and 18R would be smiliar, whether they were the same, i couldnt tell you, i think the 18R has a bigger bore, because of the extra displacement, and would probably push the engine mounting points furthur out.

i beleive the column and floor shift are similar, with different linkages, so, you should be alright there, with enough room to fit the tranny in, how you would mount a floor shift in there, i dont know

Eldar.O.