Thread: 1975 MS85 Toyota Crown automatic fluid litres

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 1975 MS85 Toyota Crown automatic fluid litres

Hi Folks, I have a problem with my 1975 automatic Toyota Crown, 2 days ago I drained the auto transmission fluid and then set about filling it as per the instructions from a 1968 3 speed Toyota Crown automatic manual and it states the transmission takes 7 litres of fluid.
    I first filled it with 5 litres as it states and then warmed up the engine and then set about adding the last 2 litres but after another litre it overflowed so I'm wondering if the 1968 3 speed auto is the same as the 1975 3 speed auto or does anyone know how many litres should the 1975 model take.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as we are about to go on a touring holiday this Saturday towing the tear drop camper.
    Cheers Owen
    Last edited by 1975ToyotaCrown; 26-11-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 1975 MS85 Toyota Crown automatic fluid litres

I would say the manual would be to referring to a dry fill as in a empty converter etc, when you drain the pan the converter still has the old oil in it, just go by your dipstick now, drain out the excess, run the car through the gears & recheck on level ground & do a final check preferably once the trans oil is all warmed up again level ground etc ..

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 1975 MS85 Toyota Crown automatic fluid litres

Oh your right I forgot all about the convertor and thats why after I filled it with 5 litres the dip stick read full but about 20 cms above the full mark, I drained all the fluid again this morning and degreased all the over flowed fluid. This arvo I'll add the fluid by the litre and then check the stick. Thanks for the assistance its really appreciated.