Thread: Toyota EA Series Transmission Information

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Default Toyota EA Series Transmission Information

Hey dudes, remember reading a while ago about the 6 speed EA series gearboxes (on Euro turbo diesels + Lotus Evora?). The thread I was reading is now defunct (on MR2 forums), however it is definitely something I want to look further into. I've googled to no avail.

EDIT: Damnit, found the thread. Apparently my googling sucks.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-2-mr2-s...smissions.html
    Last edited by the_random_hero; 24-11-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota EA Series Transmission Information

Big thread on TwoBrutal about the EA61/EA62 6-speeds at the moment and fitting them to the 2GR for MK1/2 V6 conversions.

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=16536

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by knightrous View Post
    Big thread on TwoBrutal about the EA61/EA62 6-speeds at the moment and fitting them to the 2GR for MK1/2 V6 conversions.

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=16536
    Thanks for that, good read. I'm assuming as the EA series will -apparently- bolt/almost bolt up to the 3SGTE, it should be close to fitting a 4A with a E series bellhousing?
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_random_hero View Post
    Thanks for that, good read. I'm assuming as the EA series will -apparently- bolt/almost bolt up to the 3SGTE, it should be close to fitting a 4A with a E series bellhousing?
    I don't think it would work with a 4A, just based on that you cannot bolt a S54 or E153 gearbox to a 4A. It could be possible with some crazy form of adapter plate and clutch/flywheel combo.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Ok, when someone hears of Toyota putting an AWD one of these next to (& behind) the 2GR-FE, let me know.
    Because already the E151F GT4/Caldina box doesn't fit next to the MZ without modifying the side of the block, and some pussy 4 cylinder petrol ain't going to handle the torque.

I following the link to the MR2 forum discussion.
    A good 3S-GTE produces more torque than the 2.2 D4-D engine, but also at higher revs, so not only is the torque output not a reliable check, but the corresponding revs at which it occurs hasn't been taken into account.