Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shrike the 4wd ae111 build log

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Shrike the 4wd ae111 build log

I have just brought st185 running gear and a 3sgte am planning on using 4age that I will be turboing etc

Running gear and engine cost me $450

But seeing as I have all the running gear now and maybe able to modify the floor pan, fuel tank, firewall and rear axle would any of the parts be straight bolt on or would I have to do complete modification to fit it.

I have access to a machine shop and large amounts of tools including a plazma cutter.

Any comments on how stupid this is would not be helpful

I'd like some thoughts on pros and cons for it and if it is able to be done

I am willing to spend at least the next year doing this.

thanks for any suggestions
    Last edited by shrike; 13-03-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: changed plans

Default Re: st205 running gear into ae111

anythings possible with time and money.

massive job though, good with it.

Where abouts are you? i might hit you up for some parts.
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

Toyota for life REP! Backyard Mechanic TTV8RA23's Avatar

Wow sounds like an interesting project. You would almost have to use the celicas 3sge/gte to make it worth while. The poor little 4age would have its work made even harder adding the extra weight of transfer case extra diff etc. In saying that though it may be quite difficult fitting the 3sge into the ae111 as the motor only just fits in the celica bay. And if you think it is going to take you a year double it atleast and then triple the cost and you'll be somewhere near it. Not trying to put you off at all just warn you. Will be awesome to see something so different. Keep us updated if you go ahead with it.
    Cheers
    Simon
    Kiwi back yard mechanic/fabricator/machinist/welder
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=tt1uzfe+RA23]

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

There were 4wd versions of the AE115, most likely a Carib or something, but nothing Oz delivered.

If you're prepared to cut it up, it may be easier to get the rear floor & front & rear suspension off one of those to weld in (I almost did that with my last Caldina to convert it to AWD).

3S-GTEs have been installed into the front of Rolla's before (but not 4wd), so be careful of the front suspension & steering rack.

Considering the price you bought that wreck at, i reckon a better bet would be to transplant everything into this:
    Ebay 1994 manual 4wd 3S-FE Caldina
    Direct bolt in, no mods required, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist View Post
    There were 4wd versions of the AE115, most likely a Carib or something, but nothing Oz delivered.

If you're prepared to cut it up, it may be easier to get the rear floor & front & rear suspension off one of those to weld in (I almost did that with my last Caldina to convert it to AWD).

3S-GTEs have been installed into the front of Rolla's before (but not 4wd), so be careful of the front suspension & steering rack.

Considering the price you bought that wreck at, i reckon a better bet would be to transplant everything into this:
    Ebay 1994 manual 4wd 3S-FE Caldina
    Direct bolt in, no mods required, but that's just my opinion.
    That would be a good idea however I'm in wellington new zealand so shipping could be a bit expensive also I really want something a bit different and as long as I measure everything up and keep the parts I take out I can always go back to original if it doesn't work.

Team Awesome Carport Converter Pimpin_1JZ's Avatar

It's been done on a ZZE122(3?). And damn does it haul ass.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportca...Corolla4wd.htm

There's some videos of it on youtube if you search for fensport.
    1JZ MZ20 Soarer - 4AGZE KE70 Corolla - 4AGE AE86 - 4AGE KE70

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    That would be a good idea however I'm in wellington new zealand so shipping could be a bit expensive also I really want something a bit different and as long as I measure everything up and keep the parts I take out I can always go back to original if it doesn't work.
    If you're in NZ, then it'd be even easier.
    Though if your heart is set on doing it to an AE111, then I'd just find an AE115 & swap the gear into, or at least find an AE115 wreck & swap the floorpans over.

Why reinvent the wheel when Toyota made a perfectly good 4wd version to use as a starting point?

There's no reason it wouldn't work with time, patience & $, though you may run into troubles with the track width, which is why I suggest starting with the AE115 stuff & swap the diff, brakes, gearbox, engine & leave the rest as Toyota had.

oh yeah, and do a search for the Neal Bates rally Corollas from over here. They were almost using the full ST205 gear.

Update ended up getting st185 running gear as mates dad decided he wanted to keep the car lots of f**king around grrr have started a build log on ae111 owners forum so am just copying and pasting it now

Default Re: Shrike the 4wd ae111 build log

So I've been playing around with the idea of building my engine to run 300kw plus.

Looked into it drove a few 4agtes with decent power worked out I hate lag and torque steer. So I had a think and decided I love my levin(ae111) and if it where 4wd my problems of getting the power down would be lowered.

So did a web search and found a few toyotas that are now 4wd including an ae111 in Jamaica

Link
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=271076

So anyway looked into the 4wd route and decided I need some gt4 running gear I wanted st205 but couldn't track down the gear so settled for st185

Running gear

5 stud ftw

Rear diff sub frame axles hubs etc

various bits

transfer case

Gearbox transfer case and 3sgte

So tomorrow will look into line everything up still have to get coil overs and macpherson front end which I will hopefully get for the 13th also need to get new brake rotors and calipers new brake lines etc

will try and keep updated
    Last edited by shrike; 13-03-2010 at 06:04 PM.

well thought I'd give you some pics and an update seeing as how I managed to get away from work early today.

One clean e series box

The important part nice and clean

C-52 with standard engine connector plate

This is my step-bros dead box that I got as part of him buying my lsd c-56

E series box with c-52 plate size and holes are similar however would need to be cut down also starter motor has to be on other side.

So I am going to look into adapting a 3sgte plate and if that doesn't work then I will sort out a custom one.

Also I worked out how to take high quality pics with my ph

Also have to swap c series and e series splines over so will bolt into crank
    Last edited by shrike; 13-03-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Well update I'm getting my macpherson conversion gear tomorrow so I can run the front hubs and am getting my cusco coilovers hopefully end of next week just have to pay for them and wait to be delivered.

Then I just need to make the new diff cradle cut out the tyre well make a surge tank install a new fuel pump and fuel lines. Install the new rear brake rotors and 2pot calipers.

Buy some 5X100 rims and tyres to go on them then thats the rear end sorted apart from the exhaust new bumper boot lid and spoiler.

This is a mission will post pics when I start to install gear note I will edit out all the swearing that I am sure to do on the days this is happening.

Well did some test fitting today with my trd shocks as I wanted to see what mods I needed to do to my coil-overs when they arrive and the first minor variance is that the gt4 hubs and the ae111 shocks bottom bolt hole don't line up by about 2mm so am talking to speedtech and shred etc to find out the safest and most legal way of sorting this out.

Ideas so far that I have come up with its to bore both holes out to the same size and run washers and a larger bolt. Or I may have to take the shock mounts off and wield new ones on both of which mean I have to keep the shocks I do this to as I won't be able to resell them if I decide to upgrade (grrrrr) so at least I'm starting off with good shocks.

another issue was the handbrake cables with I swapped over today the gt4 ones are a different length so had to mount differently and am hoping when I sort the break line out that they will work. But am replacing brake rotors and calipers soon anyway so will most likely have to change cable again I am considering running a hydraulic handbrake as this may be easier in the long run and just set up a latch to keep it on.

managed to get the fuel tank out as well so have freed up some space to work in. Will be making a new fuel tank once rwd gear is sorted.

Pics

AE111 aren't five stud

Trying to center the diff to work out mounting points

No fuel tank

Exhaust tunnel is perfect for drive shaft

Some good news is I can keep my exhaust and run it under the drive shaft so as soon as I tack in some mounts the drive shaft will be in but have to wait for new subframe to get made up.

Please note the wood stand is there as an extra I have 4axle stands which I move around as well as two jacks holding the car up Also it has been like this for 3months in all weather and they haven't moved yet. (wish the garage wasn't full of crap)

Also anyone needing ae111/ae101 spares I have a whole heap pm me if your after something I may have it will ship to oz no issues just sold an aircon compressor to a guy in sydney
    Last edited by shrike; 13-03-2010 at 06:11 PM.

For the handbrake cable: it is cheap to get new ones made.

I had a pair of cables made when I converted my 88 Subaru Leone to Legacy brakes (again a 5 stud conversion). This moved the handbrake from the front to the back.
    I took the original handbrake cable, and a Legacy one, along with the length I needed (3m in my case).
    They made me a new cable with the Leone lever end & the Legacy brake end on the other for around A$100.

If the 185 cables are too long, you could do it cheaper by getting them shortened & a new end put on.

You may want to check on the legalities of a hydraulic handbrake. They're not legal here because if a hose or line breaks, you end up with no brakes at all. They're supposed to be a safety device, not a parking device.