Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shrike the 4wd ae111 build log

Han Lue aka Robin Hood Grease Monkey DreadAngel's Avatar

Default Re: Shrike the 4wd ae111 build log

shrike! I hope things work out for you man!

It'll be great to see a 4WD AE111

We've got Front Wheel and Rear Wheel already so 4WD would be great to see!
    Not here anymore!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

yeah the ae111 abs is good and used to pull the car up with the twin pots really well in the wet with me trying to get the abs to kick in.

Talking to a guy up north about a set of st185 hubs axles cvs etc with the abs just waiting on costs with shipping also trying to get the abs plugs and cables in case the ae111 ones don't fit so I can rewire them. I'll be updating my build log soon but am trying to sort out my fibreglass bonnets got to make an ae92 mold and bonnet this weekend. As well as finish of the ae111 one as well I'm holding off on doing to much more until my coilovers arrive then I can get the hubs and suspension all in properly and start to organize brakes and the rear sub frame.

Everyone's input into the abs issue is appreciated and I'm going to try and keep it as I'll just wire in a bypass for if I go do track days etc.

Hope to keep everyone posted as I get more done once the running gears sorted all my cash will go onto the engine/ecu setup. I still need to send the gearbox and diff away to get rebuilt and painted as well as have the gearbox spline changed.

I know I posted this in another post just trying to keep all info in this tread incase people want to do anything.

well today I got my cuscos into the car will post pics tomorrow it's to dark now.

Managed to get one side all torqued up ready to put the hub in and the other side has the hub in but isn't torqued up yet so not much more to go and the car will be rolling .

I replaced my ball joints so I could use the GT4 hubs and have asked bazda about brake advice to see what I should look into getting.

I keep my variable steering rack which unlike most ae111's still works.

The car needs to following to roll around ie rolling body

Rear subframe put in
    set of 5x100 rims
    new suspension bushings (ordering asap)(don't need them but want to do them now)
    brakes (can leave stock on but want to get them done also)

I may look at replacing the cuscos at some stage but they should be good for now.

P.s Popping up to kiwi racing when there free to sort the gearbox and diff rebuild out as well as an adapter plate to bolt the gearbox up.
    May have to grind back one of the gearbox mounts on the engine block if I want it to be straight up and down anyone see any issues with this as I'd rather not angle it like the 3sgte
    Last edited by shrike; 31-03-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: ps

Pics

Without handbrake bits

What makes the handbrake go

so heres the coilovers in just chatting with bazda about getting some brakes lookin at these for the front http://www.wilwood.com/CaliperProd.a...no=120-10455-L

and trying to decide if I want to get 2pot rears or get 1pot rears with a handbrake set up so I won't need the drum handbrake which could be good but the stopping may not be as good.

If I have the cash next week I'm getting a set of st215 3sgte rear hubs and axles along with the abs plugs to go with them. Also ordering 3m of 5x5cm box tubing to make my rear subframe up with.

Also been offered a cheap set of 5x100 rims so may get them to roll the car around with.

Progress is being made

also looking at a under car brace to match the coilovers
    Last edited by shrike; 01-04-2010 at 03:54 PM.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    P.s Popping up to kiwi racing when there free to sort the gearbox and diff rebuild out as well as an adapter plate to bolt the gearbox up.
    May have to grind back one of the gearbox mounts on the engine block if I want it to be straight up and down anyone see any issues with this as I'd rather not angle it like the 3sgte
    What angle does your engine sit at now? I'd be keeping it the same if possible.

so heres the coilovers in just chatting with bazda about getting some brakes lookin at these for the front http://www.wilwood.com/CaliperProd.a...no=120-10455-L

and trying to decide if I want to get 2pot rears or get 1pot rears with a handbrake set up so I won't need the drum handbrake which could be good but the stopping may not be as good.

If I have the cash next week I'm getting a set of st215 3sgte rear hubs and axles along with the abs plugs to go with them.
    Don't use Wilwood, their quality is very variable (there's a reason why they're cheap)

You've already got all the mountings for the drum handbrake, why not just keep it?

I'm hoping that by hubs you're refering to getting the cast sections for the ST215?
    BTW, that's not the hub. The hub is the spinning part which the wheel & rotor fit onto & which the driveshaft goes inside.

Remember that the ST185 rotors won't locate onto the ST205 owards (ie ST205, ST215, ST246) hubs.
    Pre ST205, the rotor centre bore was 54mm, ST205 onwards, the centre bore is 55mm.
    No reason though why you shoudn't be able to use the ST185 hubs with the ST215 driveshaft & cast section.

I'm referring to the whole assembly and ok may look at other options then wilwoods

The drum handbrake is weird but I'm still deciding what I'm going to do with it and my 4age isn't on an angle like a 3sgte if that makes sense but If I bolt it upto the 3sgte gearbox it has to be slanted like the 3sgte to clear the transfer case.

I'm getting st205 brake rotors now anyway

The ST205 handbrake is identical to all the earlier models, it's just the dust shield that's different (I cut mine off), so the ST205 rotor will fit over the ST185 handbrake & work perfectly.

Maybe it might be easier to find an AE115 Carib AWD gearbox then & sell the ST185 version.
    This will put your engine at the correct angle, the clutch will be perfect & you won't need any adaptor plates.

Ah the issue with that is it won't handle 300kw+

You know this for a fact?

I remember Al from Driven Performance turbocharging the 7A-FE in his AE-115 Carib many years ago. Might be worth asking the question.

Hmm I did look into it but everyone said it would break and that the gt4 box was a better option

Just had a thought the 4agze e58 series box may have the same spline as the e15Xf box off the gt4 just measured the clutch plate and its 225 like the 4agze so may be able to run a 4agze clutch and flywheel setup instead of cutting my spline got my mate coming over on sat with 4agze gear to test fit.

Which means I should just need the adapter plate to bolt it up oh and maybe cut down the gearbox mount on the block. Haven't been able to go see kiwi race cars atm grrr may end up making a plate myself.

Also should have rear sub frame done within this month

Spirited Backyard Mechanic Casey-G's Avatar

Just had a thought the 4agze e58 series box may have the same spline as the e15Xf box off the gt4 just measured the clutch plate and its 225 like the 4agze so may be able to run a 4agze clutch and flywheel setup instead of cutting my spline got my mate coming over on sat with 4agze gear to test fit.

Which means I should just need the adapter plate to bolt it up oh and maybe cut down the gearbox mount on the block. Haven't been able to go see kiwi race cars atm grrr may end up making a plate myself.

Also should have rear sub frame done within this month

Just be aware that there are 2 different spline sets with the e58 box(s) as they differed between the LSD and non-LSD variants.

I do remember reading somewhere though that the e58 LSD and GT4 shafts are interchangeable, though i dont know how true it is and/or if they are the same length and thickness.

Build is tops mate keep it up!!

cheers,

Case

Ok so everyones been bugging me for an update so guess I need to get off my ass and do one.

Been waiting on parts and sorting work/cash as well as finding time to pick stuff up.

So last night I started extending the loom for the fuse box so I can fit it behind the dash a few pics of what I've done so far and I'll take some of where I'm putting it and how the engine bays looking tomorrow.

So thats all the plugs that need extending

Starting to solder them togeather

My make up solder station so wish I used the one at work

Heat shrinking the joins

One finished plug just need to attach it to the loom

Right when I arrived home my stepbrother had picked some of my custom parts up so I was very happy.

Stock fuel tank modified

The new inside

sideview

One with the drive shaft

My new subframe with diff

Gt4 subframe shortened

Ae111 subframe end moulded in and wielded on

Kiwi race cars did a great job

I'll be installing into the car tomorrow if all goes well (weather etc)

Updates to come