Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Group Buys - is approval a bit of a joke?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Default Group Buys - is approval a bit of a joke?

Hi All,

well just under three weeks ago i sent off a pm to Joshtix, River and TheToyman75 regarding organising a group buy as the board requests that approval be given before a group buy goes ahead. After not hearing anything back for several days (not even acknowledgement of me pm) i sent off a pm to River as he actually has good communication and replies to pm's. I then sent off an email to the board email (i initially was given the wrong email, so then sent off to the right one a couple of days later) and still no response. After this i sent off a pm to River as it still appeared that my letter seeking approval hadn't gone through. Finally i had confirmation on the 28th of october that the information was received. Since then i have not heard anything regarding approval. I'm almost at the point where i am just going to advertise it anyway as this seems to be the only way that the board seems to pay attention to them. Either that or i will just order the parts for myself and let everyone else here find their own.

I've also noticed that i cannot find anywhere here on the forum showing what the board actually requests when trying to organise a group buy. Nothing on what information is needed, who to contact, how the decision is made. Nothing. Yet it seems that they crack down on it if people do a group buy without approval......

/end rant

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: Group Buys - is approval a bit of a joke?

I know what you are getting approval for as I'm part of the order and I don't think there will be an issue.

It would be nice for there to be clear guidelines for the process of group buys though with an expected time frame. I know that people are busy and they do this from their free time but for group buys for parts that are no longer available it should be a relatively easy thing to approve.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer Kirsty2520's Avatar

Ben,
    As Far As I am Aware you have been responded to Via Pm,. However if not. This has been penciled in for decussion at Tomorrow nights Board meeting so you will have a firm answer by wednesday.

The post regarding What information is required will also go up tomorrow night or Wednesday. I honestly thought that there was some sort of information on that somwhere on the site. But I will go and do some digging and try and find it.
    RIP Nathan Dean. You Will be Missed.
    Life is like Chocolate..... without the bitter, the sweet means nothing.
    Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
    Never allow someone to be your priority while you are just their option

Hi Kirsty,

the last contact i had received was from River to say that he had received it and he would get back to me asap (that was the 28th of october).............

It would be much appreciated if there were some sort of procedure layed out on how to apply for it all and who to. The "information" i'd gathered was from reading through other group buys etc.

Thanks for looking into this as i am really keen to get the ball rolling.

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Yeah, I need a quorum of the Board to allow group buys and although the emails went through to the Board and I asked about it, I got no reply.

That's why I put it on the list to be discussed tomorrow night at the Board meeting - to get a final answer for Ben, as he has been waiting patiently for quite some time, and we need to address his request.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Hi,

Is this something that can be looked into? IE lack of communication from the board? It seems odd that even the Almighty River remains unanswered on here......

thanks again

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 1jza21's Avatar

A resolution to this would be nice to see. I am the source of these item here in the states and Roadkill offered his assistance in the Distribution of these to help shipping costs to the Aus residence people. I am holding off placing these on Ebay (for more money) until this is resolved. I have a lot of money invested and need to get going on shipping these across the pond to you guys so I can reinvest the capitol into other items in the works. For info I started shipping the US ones out this am. Thanks for you quick response to this.
    Cary
    1972 Celica 1JZGTE TH350 Tubbed etc.
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50114

Hi,

We will have answer tomorrow for you. It will be discussed tonight.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 1jza21's Avatar

Thanks River I was just adding my .02 (us) cents sounded like you guys were on it already.
    Cary
    1972 Celica 1JZGTE TH350 Tubbed etc.
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50114

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Just a personal opinion here.. don't forget that the Toymods people are volunteers.. they are running a car club, and these forums that are a spin-off from that, out of their own time and good will..

I can't imagine how much time it takes to administer this forum and all the PM's and emails they must get through it, but I reckon getting uspet with them for a delay is a little harsh.

Anyways.. back to your regular viewing
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRA23 View Post
    Just a personal opinion here.. don't forget that the Toymods people are volunteers.. they are running a car club, and these forums that are a spin-off from that, out of their own time and good will..
    That's a well understood point, however, I've also tried to organise a group buy some time back, and received no communication for or against my group buy. I shared (at the time) Ben's frustration because the rule has been put in place and 'cracked down' upon by the same good willed volunteers who are otherwise engaged when it comes to assisting with those members following the rules. I mean, the way I see it, the forums have a certain degree of self policing, so why not allow Ben (and others) to start a group buy thread, which then, very promptly in many cases, will be welcomed or stamped out. That, I feel, will be more in the interests of the buyers and seller then letting correspondance go un-replied in inboxes...
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

Hi,

i was very tempted to just throw the group buy up as it seemed to be the best way to get a reaction as i've seen a few go up without permission and within a few days they either get approval or the thread gets locked. I'm not bagging the people that look after the forum here as i think that they do a bang up job of it considering the circumstances. Sure there are things that could be done better but nothing or nobody is perfect. I stuck by the rules and when i hadn't heard anything i used the feedback section for its appropriate use and got answers!

Anyway, is it possible that in the classifieds section there could be a sub section for group buys? Have a sticky thread in it what is needed and who is to be contacted in order to organise one aswell??? Probably would have been good to come up with this before the board meeting which probably finished about an hour or two ago.

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Hi,

LOL.. I wish the Board meetings would finish that early. Finished after midnight, which is usual, and got home a few mins ago.

Yes, we discussed your group buy and also some policies around the group buys to clear things up. I'll post in the morning, as I am pretty tired and need some zzzzzzs.

seeyuzz
    river

Hi,

Okay, I'm more tuned-in now, after having a cuppa and a ciggy.

We waxed long and lyrical about the Group Buys at last nights meeting, and we have devised/refined the Group Buy rules, and streamlined the approval process, which Lambo is going to (or has - I'll have to check) put up in the forums. If he hasn't put the rules up yet then he'll probably do it tonight, as we did not finish until late and I know he's very busy at work.

Basically, we won't approve a Group Buy that sells items that our forum sponsors sell. Also, Group Buy is to help the Toymods forum users to obtain a better price than purchasing a single unit, and there is to be no financial gain (other than getting the item cheaper due to group buying discount) for the person who requests/initiates the Group Buy.

We have seen a couple of Group Buys that have been approved and more itmes were ordered than what was displayed in the Group Buy thread. Then, the extra items were sold on eBay for a much higher price. This, to the Board, smacks of profiteering by using the Toymods forum members as leverage to give the seller financial gains.

For example, if a forum member requests a Group Buy for 100 items, and lists the price up per item etc etc in the forums. Then we expect those 100 units to be fully accounted for by the replies of the forum members. Say the items cost forum members $10 a peice, and 30 forum members respond and say they will buy the item. The remaining 70 items can then be sold on eBay, or wherever, for (say) $20 an item - which can return a handsome profit for the seller. I understand the 30 forum members (in this example) have benefited from the cheaper price. However other people who pay the higher price on eBay can (and in a few real cases) are also forum members, as they arrived late or did not see the Group Buy.

We cannot control the price of what someone sells on eBay or wherever, and therefore it is not possible to say to the seller the person is a forum member so can they have the itme at the price that was offered to forum members. Well, we can ask, but it is up to the seller to decide if they wish to do that or not.

Therefore, the rule that the quantity of items specified in the Group Buy must be filled by forum members, has been created. Sure, there will be those forum members that say yes and then later on say no and there can be a few extra items left over, and it is understood the seller must recoup their costs and sell those items elsewhere. But we are talking about a few items, but not a massive amount (like 70 that was used in my example).

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I hope it's clarified a few things for you, If not then reply here and we'll sort it out.

seeyuzz
    river

Hi,

that all makes sense. Gonna go looking for the thread by lambo.

Um, so, does that mean it is now approved?

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown