Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Group Buys - is approval a bit of a joke?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Re: Group Buys - is approval a bit of a joke?

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Um, so, does that mean it is now approved?
    It depends..... can you fill the quantity you specified purely from Toymods?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

hI,

would be surprised if i couldn't get at least 20. It's cheap, there are alot of old cars here with sagging doors.........

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Hi,

Agreed.

So, a group buy for 25 units?

seeyuzz
    river

hI,

will start registering interest. Will throw up thread today. I noticed that when teh witzl did the tru trac diff group buy he had a linky in his sig - permission for this?

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

jeezuz... i mean, well meant idea, but how on earth do you plan to regulate how many items are offered and bought for a group buy? fark, its not like group buys are generally organised and run by businesses. its inevitably someone wanting to buy something from the states, and figures some mates might want one, and everyone wins on the savings in shipping. the forum is just a good place to help coordinate things, its not the freaking hub of the universe and the sole reason the group buy existed

but i digress, what if min order quantity might be 10 from the source, and you only have 8 takers, what if you run the buy across 17 different forums and friends, what if you might wants spares, hell, what if you want to do whatever the hell you like with whatever you buy with your money? far greater things in play than what you guys think youre going to try and regulate. and given the ability of the board to swiftly react to things it decides to lay rules down onto, all i can see is epic fail

the only thing you should consider when approving a group buy is the fact that the aim is to get yourself and your mates a better deal. does the organiser have the 'rep' and capability to process the claimed buy as advertised, and does it confilct with sponsors (and even if it did, shouldnt the sponsors step up and realise they could be doing the club a better service)...and if ones left over, does it need to then be given to the toymods board for storage in their garage so it can then only be sold at the original buy price to a toymods-only member sometime in the distant future? boohoo to the person how missed out. seriously. group buys arent business. theyre mates rates deals organised as one-offs. miss out, and you hit the end of the queue and buy it retail like a normal person

you do also realise that running a group-buy generally leaves the organiser taking a loss and scratching his head as to why he agreed to do it in the firstplace... because its all a monumental pain in the ass and in the end he didnt really save anything and instead spent days and weeks making other people happy? flogging a leftover item on eghey and making a profit (and no, ive not ever done that) is about the only bit of 'win' a group buy organiser can look forward to seeing i reckons

/rant
    Last edited by ed; 11-11-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

hI,

i guess it depends on how you look at the group buy idea. The main reason i am doing this is the guy that is actually getting the parts made has a minimum quantity that has to be ordered to make it worthwhile doing. I need the part also (talking about bushes to fix sagging door hinges on old celicas) and so i thought to help out Cary actually going through the effort to get them made i thought i would help him sell his as well as doing the toymods community by helping them get a part that has pretty much never been available to them.

Put simply if no one was interested in helping the resale of the parts then they possibly wouldn't have been made in the first place. It's people like Cary that help keep these old classics going strong.

Now, off to the classifieds!

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

yep, every group buy has its own story as to why its a good idea

doesnt change the ridiculous nature of the suggested regulations on how theyre organised and carried out
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 1jza21's Avatar

Ok this one might be a little unique since the parts were produced already. I took the risk to my capital to have 1000 units made which will complete 4 hinges or 2 doors or one car for a two door. Thats 8 bushings or 125 sets total. So I sold 26 sets already so I have just under 100 sets left. I am a member here and on other boards as well and wanted to offer them to you guys as well. So its not really a group buy other than Roadkill offered to broker the deal so he can be the final shipper in Aus and save the single set shipping of bushings 25-30 times or what ever it becomes. And the final shipping is just for you guys locally not international. I have discounted the per set price to Road so he will have the ability to buy the shipping materials and a little for his time to make the shipping work for him. And still get them to you guys for the same overall price I was able to do here in the states. Later if not all the sets are sold then its off to Ebay or what ever at that point. So I have basically 100 sets for sale the price is already set no matter how many you guys buy whether it be 1-100 so putting a limit or a minimum is really not needed I dont think. But I under stand if there is a rules that states otherwise then we should conform. Doeas that make sense?
    Cary
    1972 Celica 1JZGTE TH350 Tubbed etc.
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50114

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Just like to say that I pretty much 100% agree with Ed's points. No need to reiterate them again.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

yea i did a group buy and i didnt ask anyone and no one even noticed.

it was a non-profic thingo anyway and in the end i was pretty ripped off because of all the work i didnt realise i would have to do i would have been better off driving taxis for a few days.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

+1 for Ed's comments. If we only get 8 EOIs and need 10 for a discount, all the members interested are better off if the organiser buys 10 and then sells the other 2 off however they like, otherwise everyone loses.

I know I've been left with a truetrac once, and while another member did buy it, I would have had no qualms putting it on e-bay for a few $ more.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

first of all, nice to see my comments stimulated a response from anyone in charge despite the sentiment being shared by other rational, sensible folk around here?

secondly... so, oh great group-buy moderators, i think we need a 'pls explain' on exactly what you intend to do about the current group buy that initiated this thread?

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54085

certainly the numbers have gone well beyond those set out in the intial group buy plan? could even be possible that the total stock runs out and theyll have to make more to cover demand? shit ey? i thought it had the 'ok' for 25 items? but maybe youre allowed to sell 'over' the specified buy limit? is that how i should interpret it? another way to intepret it would be that ben is now just acting as an australian distributor for cary, and they'll just fill as many orders as they possibly can! and cary's not even a forum sponsor! *shock*

kudos i reckon to ben and cary for organising this, as its obvioulsy a much needed product. awesome work guys!

im more curious as to the boards opinion, its definition on group buys, profiteering, interpretation of commercial sales, and its implementation of its new group buy policies?

pls explain
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

We waxed long and lyrical about the Group Buys at last nights meeting, and we have devised/refined the Group Buy rules, and streamlined the approval process, which Lambo is going to (or has - I'll have to check) put up in the forums. If he hasn't put the rules up yet then he'll probably do it tonight, as we did not finish until late and I know he's very busy at work.

Basically, we won't approve a Group Buy that sells items that our forum sponsors sell. Also, Group Buy is to help the Toymods forum users to obtain a better price than purchasing a single unit.

seeyuzz
    river
    Hi,

Firstly - did these new rules go up? I've not been able to find them?

Second - I view group buys as two different ideas. One is buying stuff in from the states (or anywhere really) in a bulk fashion that effectively discounts the individual item price per person and saves on postage per person. The other one is where custom parts are made to order IE GA61XX when he does the shifter bushes etc.

My interpretation of doing a group buy of something that is already made and just buying a bulk amount in from another country should be unlimited (or limited to how many they have available anyway) I was thrown off with rivers comment of 25 sets, but i took it as the minimum to get for the group buy to go ahead. This was easily smashed on the first day. I personally see that it could be viewed as having a "commercial" nature due to the high numbers involved but at the end of the day i'm not really making any money off these, Cary might be but that is his decision as he has gone through alot of R&D to get them made. If i were organising group buy after broup buy then i can understand that it would look to be different. That doesn't mean that i wouldn't organise another one for something else down the track. It just depends on what pops up i guess.

I too though am very interested in seeing the new group buy rules and would like to know the boards opinion (if any) on my group buy. I personally view it as a successful one because it is a part that many of us clearly need and until now has probably never been available.

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Hi,

Personally, I think your group buy is going great. You easily got the numbers you need, and offering something people want and at a good price.

As for the new rules not being displayed, I will have to speak to Lambo about that, and see what's happening.

seeyuzz
    river

you considered being a politician river? a nice positive flavoured response and yet zero substance.

the lack of interest in addressing valid concerns on this is disturbing, and in the context of the rest of the crap that has come with this wave of club evolution, gotta say its pretty sad state of things.

and ben's group buy? if that doesnt raise atleast half a dozen good discussion points on what group buys are and how they run, and where the line is with regards to just a plain old commercial sale, fuck me, i dont know what does. but no, no interest in that either?

or are we all just willing to let this one slide cause it so popular and makes old celica owners happy?
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator