Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reputation System abuse crack down

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Default Reputation System abuse crack down

I have been reviewing the use of the reputation system and have noted that it is still being used for non tech posts. (buddy repping and the like.)

With the Infractons system being trialled. I am now, as previously mentioned, reviewing the use of reputation. Those found to be abusing the system will be going back to 10. There have been enough warnings.

Rep was removed from general as it was one of the main areas (behind outhouse) where it was abused. After comments about this move it was reinstated to general for the tech info that happens in there, yet the buddy repping came back with it.
    Reputation is to be used in the following mannor.

+ rep to be given for an informative tech based post, well constructed question (in the case of noobs) or give to those who respond with information relevant and correct to the question.

-rep used where the information is blatantly wrong, user hasn't tried to search for the answer.

Reputation is an indicator of a users contribution to the tech info in the forums. Not an indicator of e-dick size.

When leaving rep comments please fill in a proper comment. Blank comments will be deleted.

comments like
    Sweeeeeeeet brew.
    gheyness
    have some rep
    you mum has bigger piping

will also be deleted, even if given correctly.

Keep in mind the the current reputation will be culled in the future so this crackdown is to get the system operating now before it is reset.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: Reputation System abuse crack down

Can we consider reinstating rep into the Members Rides section? There is always tech posts in peoples rides threads which deserve rep, but may not deserve their own T&C thread.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

There is a lot of tech knowledge in the members rides, but also a bucket load of crap. There are so many members rides, and given the eagerness of people to buddy rep crap, and the limited time/resources of the mods/admin, we would never be able to keep an eye on the abuse of the rep system. So, no rep in members rides.

Anyone who has good info in their rides thread should also place it in the tech or general car thread (depending on the nature of the info) and from there more people will see it, and the poster will gain some well deserved rep for it.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Can we consider reinstating rep into the Members Rides section? There is always tech posts in peoples rides threads which deserve rep, but may not deserve their own T&C thread.
    Yup fully support this. In fact, in watching a few specific ride threads relevant to me, this is where i get MOST of the good tech info on the forums.

If comments are being monitored then this is no different to other sections in terms of inappropriate rep and more worthy of rep capability than most.

Prefer to see the current rep system gone altogether but that debate has been had. Still, a post counter on relevant threads potentially makes more sense as does a submission system. If someone is consistently recommended for rep for truely worthy contributions then a moderator 'approves' it and your rep increases.

Anyways, i think Takai's proposal in a good one.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post

Anyone who has good info in their rides thread should also place it in the tech or general car thread (depending on the nature of the info) and from there more people will see it, and the poster will gain some well deserved rep for it.
    Much of the information in the Members Rides threads isnt worthy of its own thread, or spamming up the Dedicated threads.
    Most of it is little alternative ways of doing things, from things like alterative battery clamps, to mounting points for fuel filters, to designs for camber top hat spacers. None of which would be worth cluttering up the T&C, and most of which arnt necessarily applicable to any one car either.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

I completely agree with the Member's Ride Rep suggestion as there is a lot of good ideas and posts that deserve rep, but I also understand the extra workload it would put on the moderators.
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Hi,

I know what you're saying, and I agree.

However, we have a fair number of retards in these forums which fucks it up for everyone. It isn't the members rides (or even some useful non-car threrads even) that are the issue. The problem is policing them, which becomes a massive job.

We are always open to suggestions on how to improve things and get the forum members to self-police themselves (ie infractions will help in this) so dunderclumps are well sorted by the vast bulk of users who do not abuse the rep system, etc.

seeyuzz
    river

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

The rep system will come under review again in due course. A lot of this circulates around how successful the infactions system works. If the following can be achieved then the system will be altered.

Reputaion comment visable to people who can use infractions.

The infractions system reduces mods workload at the forum front end.

People start using the rep system as intended.

The current restriction on where rep can be given, and the number per day will be altered may com under review.

Unfortunatly it is a small % that ruin things for all.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Could you make rep apply only in the financial members rides threads? Would this benefit?

Id imagine people that have paid will respect it more?>
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Punctuation is the difference between...
    'I helped my Uncle, Jack, off his horse'
    and...
    'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Hi,

I'd prefer a separate trader system.

The rep should be to recognise a good contributor who posts good tech info and accuracy. The trader rep should be for good traders. However, some people are good buyers and I think if there is going to be a good trader (ie seller) rep then there should be one for buyers to show a buyer who pays in time and without hassle - just like they have on eBay.

seeyuzz
    river

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Punctuation is the difference between...
    'I helped my Uncle, Jack, off his horse'
    and...
    'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    .........we have a fair number of retards in these forums ............
    My ears were burning and low and behold I find this thread

I think I've said it before but my thoughts still remain.

No "exponential" repping powers, just cap it at say +2 or -1
    Cap rep at a nominal figure say 100.
    Have a trader system of some sort.

At the end of the day no system is perfect nor fool proof.

As for the argument that rep points can help someone determine if a users comments are worth noting, I think it is an invalid argument on this forum. If someone states BS in the tech section they are usually pulled up on it pretty quickly and corrected or constructive debate on the topic ensues. Much more effective in my mind than a number under someones user name.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Have you considered either of the following?

Removing the Reputation system all together? - Over time we come to know who's posts are worth reading and those who's aren't.

or

Resetting everyone's Rep and starting fresh? - There are a lot of members on here that have a shit-load of rep, and haven't genuinely earned one single point of it.
    JZA70|R / 12.45 @ 111 mph.

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Still, a post counter on relevant threads potentially makes more sense as does a submission system. .
    I like this idea but instead of having a post counter on threads why cant we have 3 or 4 bars of counters under our names for the amount of posts we do in each section?

Green= non car discussion
    Orange= gen car talk/members rides
    Red= tech
    Trader rating
    So it would look somthing like this
    OOOOOO
    OO
    OOOOOOOO
    97%
    So at a glance you can see where each poster spend the majority of their time,every 10 posts you get a bar or somthing,after there isnt enough room you get a littl star or some stripes and then the coloured blocks similar to Galaga
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au