Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reputation System abuse crack down

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic DrNick's Avatar

Default Re: Reputation System abuse crack down

Quote Originally Posted by JZA70 R View Post
    How many threads do you see where someone posts something technically incorrect and it goes by un-noticed? What has been said above stands true imo. People are not scared to jump on mis-informed posters and correct them, so for the most part the 'noobs' will know what is correct and what is not just by reading the thread in whole.

The whole reason this thread exists is because the 'Rep' system is flawed and most likely always will be regardless of how much you tweak it.

We dont need to babysit or spoonfeed new members with colourful numbers that represent one's technical input on a forum, we just need to be vigilant and helpful.
    Thanks for posting exactly what I was thinking too.

There are tons of other forums that run just fine without crazy nazi rules and regulations and points and whatever. In fact, too much of this sort of thing just stifles free and open discussion.
    The new proposed demerit point system (or whatever you call it) is a further step in the wrong direction. I really can't see how anyone could benefit from it, other than perhaps to make the person handing out the "infringements" feel like he is important.
    I think you will find that its quite easy for moderators to ruin a good forum, and you would all do well to take advice from JZA70_R.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I fail to see how rep points and the infractions stifles free and open discussion. There are plenty of different areas in the forums to cater for all types of discussions, and if you look at the infractions and rules, they do not stifle anything, except the obvious rules of behaviour we expect in normal everyday life - such as, no slander, no racism, etc.

The reason the rep system is in the state it is in is because people were not using it soley for its intended purpose as a marker to show someone has provided helpful information. The biggest flaw in the rep system was the inability, either deliberately or through stupidity/ignorance, of people giving rep to things that were not rep-worthy. This reflects more on the users than the system itself.

As such, these forums, like any growing community, need rules and they need to be policed or anarchy will ensure. And, sadly, like the current trend in modern society, no one takes responsibility or accountability for themselves. If they did then we would not need rules. If everyone was sensible there would be no need for speed limits on roads, or labels such as "warning- causes drowsiness" on bottles of sleeping pills, etc. People, for some reason, surrender their responsibility to others, rather than owning it themselves. They make it someone elses responsibility to govern their behaviour. The result of this is rules to govern people. The irony is the very same people spit the dummy 'cos they feel they are being strictly ruled and governed!

Perhaps we should throw away all the rep and infractions, and just let it become a big free-for-all mosh-pit? We have just one massive forum where jokes, sales/purchases, technical issues and car rides and conversions are all mixed into the one area?

If I was a normal forum member, I'd probably not give a rat's about rep and infractions. I'd log in, post or read what I have to and I'm done. However, as an admin/mod we don't have that luxury, and we get a lot of messages sent to us that there has been a shit fight in this thread, or that thread is in the wrong section, and another thread is a duplicate, and someone's whoring the place with shit, etc. Now we can do one of three things...

1 - Do nothing. Let it go pear shaped. Let the users search through crap for what they want. Who cares!
    2 - Spend all our waking moments moving and cleaning up threads, but don't give any warnings or penalties... just keep fixing the fuck-ups that people do.
    3 - Same as point 2, but make sure the culprits incurr some penalty for their lack of consideration and respect for the rules and, more so, for the greater forum users.

Anyone can shoot holes into any system we put up. But, at least we are trying different solutions. If you have a workable solution then let's hear it, 'cos we are getting a tad tired of people pointing out issues with what we are doing (or proposing) without the forethought of offering a workable solution themselves.

seeyuzz
    river
    Last edited by river; 07-11-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Craig the baker Automotive Encyclopaedia puzzle man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

You're still going to have the same crap, except with your idea the crap is across 2 threads instead of one. Sure, the actual "rides" thread will be neater without the extra posts from others, but a lot of those posts from others are asking how things were done, and from there things go off topic. So, at the end of the day, you will end up in the project thread, trying to find how the owner did something, and that thread will have 10 pages of crap.

seeyuzz
    river
    No, because what happens is the person posting the rides thread puts much, much more detail into the post eg how it was do and so forth,
    and if people do ask "how did you put a 1GZ in you ke 55"
    the answer will be posted in the ride thread for future people.....
    Time is priceless yet it costs us nothing.
    You can do anything you want with it but you can't own it.
    You can spend it but you can't keep it.
    And once you've lost it, there is no getting it back, it's just gone."

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puzzle man View Post
    No, because what happens is the person posting the rides thread puts much, much more detail into the post eg how it was do and so forth,
    and if people do ask "how did you put a 1GZ in you ke 55"
    the answer will be posted in the ride thread for future people.....
    It would be too much of a pain in the arse to manage. The easiest thing to do is at the start of your build thread state that you dont want it to become crap due to unnecessary banter and irrelevent info and the thread started to be diligent in maintaining that. Problem solved!
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Gaters gonna Gate Conversion King Stomps's Avatar

tee hee

IMO the rep system is pointless, because (and i stress its only my opinion) if you need to look at a persons rep before chosing whether you listen to or ignore their advice, the job may already be beyond you..

you can generally tell if someone gives accurate tech info by how its written.. generally if someone has done the job before or knows it well, they will write it up in a helpful, detailed way... if its crap they have read elsewhere and are just regurgitating bullshit... its obvious..

but i know many dont agree with this..

personally i think we should reset it back to 0 or 10 or whateve, but those who have already gained privilages from having higher rep should be allowed to keep those priviliges.. i make no excuses for using this forum to buy/sell/search for parts.. i think there is no problem with that.. at least its going to someone who needs/wants the part..

Stomps